Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dean Stockwell Star of the Month

reginasw

I love Dean Stockwell! I first heard of Dean when I was a teen looking at Quantum Leap and he was Al but since then i have seen many of his movies. I think it would be so great if he was star of the month and I would love to see Robert Osbourne sit down with him in Private Screenings.

Any other fans?!

• 2 months later...

I've recently become a huge fan of Stockwell. He's had a really remarkable career. He's been working fairly steadily since he debuted on Broadway with his brother when he was seven years old. His first film was released in 1945, when he was nine, and he's completed work on two films slated for release this year. He's done everything--TV, film, and theatre, and across pretty much every genre: comedy, drama, documentary, horror, musicals, romance, science fiction, suspense, and westerns. He's worked with a slew of interesting people--for example: Robert Altman, Lionel Barrymore, Francis Ford Coppola, Jonathan Demme, Melvyn Douglas, Errol Flynn, Harrison Ford, Katherine Hepburn, Wendy Hiller, Trevor Howard, Elia Kazan, Gene Kelly, Janet Leigh, Myrna Loy, Sidney Lumet, David Lynch, Herbert Marshall, Jack Nicholson, Margaret O?Brien, Reginald Owen, Gregory Peck, William Powell, Vincent Price, Jason Robards, Frank Sinatra, Harry Dean Stanton, Meryl Streep, Orson Welles, Wim Wenders, Teresa Wright, Fred Astaire, Anne Baxter, Ralph Bellamy, Lloyd Bridges, Paul Henreid, Ida Lupino, Karl Malden, Walter Matthau, David Niven, John Wayne, and Shelley Winters--just a sampling. He was Dennis Hopper's best friend and roommate. Oh, and he's a visual artist, too.

I enjoy watching him in pretty much everything, though he's been in so much that his films run the gamut from schlock to absolute brilliance, from obscure low-budget flicks to mega productions. I think my favorite of his early films (of those I've seen so far) is The Happy Years, and The Secret Garden is great, too. I love Long Day's Journey Into Night--for me, a film with Dean Stockwell and Jason Robards AND Katherine Hepburn is just plain candy. One of my absolute favorite films ever is the relatively little-known Rapture from 1965, in which Stockwell stars with Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Gozzi (who starred in the 1962 Best Foreign Film Oscar winner Sundays and Cybele), and Gunnel Lindblom (Ingmar Bergman regular). And I love Paris, Texas and Married to the Mob. I'd love to see TCM air some of his less frequently shown films like Home Sweet Homicide, The Careless Years, Rapture (of course), The Last Movie, and some of his work on TV programs like Matinee Theatre, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and Kraft Suspense Theatre. They should definitely get him in studio if he's willing. And if he's not willing, they should try harder to talk him into it.

I like Stockwell, too, but SOTM? Let's get real. 78 of his 103 feature movies were made *after* 1969. If TCM were going to honor someone from that era, I can think of lots of better choices, beginning with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro.

I think Dean Stockwell would be an excellent choice for Star of the Month or maybe have a day during the Summer Under the Stars because his work spans so many years.

I would love for TCM to air LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT as well as SONS AND LOVERS (which I don't think has ever aired on the channel).

AndyM108 wrote:

>I like Stockwell, too, but SOTM? Let's get real. 78 of his 103 feature movies were made after 1969. If TCM were going to honor someone from that era, I can think of lots of better choices, beginning with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro.

De Niro and Pacino are good, but their films are all over the place. I'd prefer Stockwell, as his films are seen much less.

I'm apathetic to Dean Stockwell, not really pro or con.

I've seen a couple of his child star roles

-Song of the Thin Man

-Anchors Aweigh

I just discovered that he was the voice of one of the villains in a cartoon I used to watch when I was little-- "Captain Planet and the Planeteers."

I'd really like to see "Kim" that he made with Errol Flynn in 1950. I kind of question Flynn's appearance in the film (red hair and an earring? Really Errol?); but the movie overall looks entertaining.

*I like Stockwell, too, but SOTM? Let's get real. 78 of his 103 feature movies were made after 1969. If TCM were going to honor someone from that era, I can think of lots of better choices, beginning with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro.*

De Niro and Pacino are good, but their films are all over the place. I'd prefer Stockwell, as his films are seen much less.

If by "all over the place" you mean on Neflix and a few premium priced cable channels, then sure. But in the five years I've been covering TCM's schedule like the dew covers Dixie, I've seen five DeNiros and two Pacinos. I understand *why* we haven't seen classics like *A Bronx Tale, Glengarry Glen Ross, Sleepers,* and *The Panic in Needle Park,* but an unconstricted SOTM tribute to either of those actors would be on the level of a tribute to any actor ever so honored to date.

And if the reason for not running either of those two actors for SOTM is that their career is topheavy with "late" films, I'll repeat that stat about Stockwell: 78 of his 103 features came in the 70's or later. If we're going to see tributes to non-"star" actors who simply have long repertories, there are literally hundreds of actors from the 30's through the 50's who would be infinitely more deserving. We can begin with George Sanders and Edward Arnold and take it from there.

One of the problems with Dean Stockwell as Star of the Month is this:

When I was putting together my suggestions in the Complete SOTM and SUTS thread, I looked specifically at golden age stars who worked more at MGM, Warners and RKO, since TCM seems to have the greatest access to those titles (in the Turner Library). I did consider Stockwell, because he made some pictures at MGM-- but he really was a freelancer as many child stars and character actors were, so his films were made at many different studios. Getting the rights to something like CATTLE DRIVE, a Universal title, would not be easy (TCM did not air that one when Joel McCrea was SOTM). And getting the rights to something like COMPULSION, a Fox title, would be expensive (though TCM has aired that one before).

The long and short of it is that if Stockwell had spent his entire career at MGM like Butch Jenkins did, then it would be a no-brainer to at least give him a 24-hour tribute in August. And if I remember, a year ago, TCM did give him a primetime spotlight. So they have not been neglecting him.