Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's their 20th anniversary in April and as part of that, it looks like they will encore Robert O's "Private Screening" interview .

Also, *20 Classic Moments* which I'm guessing is 20 classic TCM moments.

And it looks like the evening schedule on April 14th (the actual anniversary date) are the same films that kicked off the channel in 1994.

Also, the week before the anniversary, the 5th TCM Film Festival takes place beginning Thursday, April 10th-13th so there will be lots of Film Festival interviews and reports.

I agree that LAURA is the big news in April. My guess is that it will air several times in the year ahead, since it is scheduled on Saturday April 19th, as part of the new season of The Essentials.

Also newsworthy is the fact that John Wayne is Star of the Month. Over fifty of his films will air back-to-back from April 21st through April 26th.

As expected by anyone who has been following the monthly offerings for any length of time, what appears to be missing from this schedule, at first glance, are foreign and silent films. I suspect that a detailed examination of the movies on the complete month's schedule will confirm this.

Those who decry this absence well know why.

musikone

>cody1949 wrote: Nice to see a rare John Wayne Universal B film,SEA SPOILERS,listed.What are the chances it will still be there when April comes around ? That's the question.

During the final week, it seems as if they're showing every film Wayne ever made. Just kidding! But it reminds me of the days when WTBS used to promote binge watching (before binge watching was cool) with "10 Days of the Duke." At least TCM finally scheduled a couple of his films rarely seen on the cable channel. We always get two-thirds of John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy" -- "Fort Apache" (1948) and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (1949). On April 23rd at 10:45 a.m. EDT, we finally get to see "Rio Grande" (1950). Also, the Duke's final film, "The Shootist," is scheduled for April 26th at 12:45 a.m.

Yes, there are some premieres of Fox films on TCM in April, but if you had the Fox Movie Channel over the past few years you have probably seen them already. Still I am happy for those who have never seen them before. Enjoy !

As expected by anyone who has been following the monthly offerings for any length of time, what appears to be missing from this schedule, at first glance, are foreign and silent films. I suspect that a detailed examination of the movies on the complete month's schedule will confirm this.

Those who decry this absence well know why.

musikone

We must be looking at different schedules, because the one I'm looking at has both silent and foreign films listed in all of their usual Sunday night / Monday morning times. I haven't looked over the rest of the schedule, but it's not as if the number of films in those two genres, or any genre for that matter, is always going to be the same in every month.

I wonder if the people who were complaining about the choice of Joan Crawford as SOTM for April will also be kvetching about the fact that John Wayne will be making his third such appearance, in addition to the six times he's had a SUTS day. Personally I'd be happy if TCM never showed another John Wayne movie for the next 30 years, but obviously as a major force in Hollywood's history, he fully deserves the tribute. Maybe sometime down the road we'll finally get George Sanders or Susan Hayward.

I'm thrilled that TCM will be showing *Shepherd of the Hills* in April. I don't think it has been on for a very long time. Yes, John Wayne is in it; but it has one of Beulah Bondi's most intriguing performances, with the "circle of fire." Also a great scene between Bondi and Marjorie Main.

*Went the Day Well?* is an important rediscovery, and I'm eager to hear what others think of it. I'm also interested in the Jacques Demy double feature of *The Umbrellas of Cherbourg* and *Lola*, especially the latter.

Especially for those of us who do not have access to Fox Movie Channel, the opening of the Fox vaults is a welcome development.

Showing the John Wayne films consecutively rather than several per week is an interesting approach. Is this a first for TCM?

I can't recall an all-day, multiple-day marathon like this before. They had an Alfred Hitchcock week maybe eight years ago where they showed three or four Hitchcock films a night for seven nights in a row, but I can't remember them ever just going hog wild and showing 50 films with the same star or director back-to-back.

LAURA has been so hyped by members of this board and other sources, I fear it will be a disappointment to me, no matter how good it is. My expectations are way too high now, based on all the buzz. But I definitely intend to watch it.

"The Sins of Rachel Cade" has a powerful but very understated performance by Angie Dickinson. On the wacky scale, "Sincerely Yours" with Liberace and "The Naked Kiss" with Constance Towers are both back, so Hooray for that. And ditto to the previous mention of "Beauty and The Beast". Also, "When The Lion Roars" is so welcome. I threw away the VHS tapes I recorded off of TNT, so I haven't seen it in years.

Edited by: DougieB on Jan 8, 2014 1:09 PM

>kingrat wrote: Showing the John Wayne films consecutively rather than several per week is an interesting approach. Is this a first for TCM?

In April 2012, TCM celebrated Doris Day's 88th birthday on the 3rd by loading up on her films for five days in a row. They aired 28 of her movies between the 2nd and the 6th, but they were spread out and not shown in 24-hour cycles.

>TCM celebrated Doris Day's 88th birthday on the 3rd by loading up on her films for five days in a row. They aired 28 of her movies between the 2nd and the 6th, but they were spread out and not shown in 24-hour cycles.

Well, the other thing you have to keep in mind is that Miss Day has a fraction of the screen credits that Duke has. Plus, at that time (and even since then) TCM did not show several of her Universal pictures, like PILLOW TALK and THE BALLAD OF JOSIE.

John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn both had their centenaries in May 2007 and were joint Star of the Month as a result. One got one week, the other a different week (I think the exact week with the centenary, but I don't have the May 2007 schedule). I think Wayne was programmed with a zillion movies in a row; I can't recall if they took daytimes off for Hepburn.

Yeah, I'm kvetching. I guess for every new SOTM (Mary Astor) we have to deal with an oft-repeated one....

At this point I'd much rather have a month of Louis Calhern or Thelma Ritter than Humphrey Bogart or Jean Harlow, but that's only because I've seen such a high percentage of the latter two's films over the past 4+ years. But if I were relatively new to TCM, I'd be thrilled to be getting a month's worth of Bogie or Jean.

And of course I'd much rather see Sanders or Hayward than any three time repeat star, but that's another story.