Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this April SOTM going to be a trend? (Loading up all of their movies in a short period of time, rather than once/week) I dont really like that as you dont get a break or a time out between films.......Just because I may like a star, I dont really want to watch them every night of the week (or be forced to record them if I dont have time to watch.....)

I suspect the reason they've chosen to devote one whole week to the April SOTM is because with the twentieth anniversary programming and the week of TCM contest winners as guest programmers, this was the only way they could fit a star of the month tribute in that month's schedule. I'm just guessing, but it seems to make sense.

I was wondering if it had to do with the TCM festival as someone mentioned that during Day's month.........I suspect this may be the way they'll be featuring April SOTMs now......

I doubt it has anything to do with the festival (although that is possible), because the Doris Day as SOTM-in-one-week was two years ago. Last April (2013), they did the usual one night per week with Laurence Olivier as SOTM.

As expected by anyone who has been following the monthly offerings for any length of time, what appears to be missing from this schedule, at first glance, are foreign and silent films.

The following foreign films will be airing in April:

NIGHTS OF CABIRIA

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

THE MATCH FACTORY GIRL

LOLA

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

There may be more but these are ones that caught my eye.

I'm looking forward to all of these films.

I saw some silent films on the schedule as well.

>Is this April SOTM going to be a trend?

No, they've done this in April the last few years because that is the month that the TCM Film Festival is held each year.

They usually tailor the schedule to spotlight the days of the Festival and do wrap arounds, promos and interviews from the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel.

This year there is the added 20th Anniversary celebration.

So, this isn't a trend for SOTMs in other months but it has become a trend for April SOTMs.

> the week of TCM contest winners as guest programmers,

Remy,

I think that the winner of the Ultimate Fan Contest will be a guest programmer in April but I think the bulk of the Fan Programmers for the 20th Anniversary weren't runners up in that contest.

I think they were chosen from a variety of places such as TCM's Social Media such as their Facebook community, the message boards, Cruise participants, and Film Festival participants.

AndyM108 says:

We must be looking at different schedules, because the one I'm looking at has both silent and foreign films listed in all of their usual Sunday night / Monday morning times. I haven't looked over the rest of the schedule, but it's not as if the number of films in those two genres, or any genre for that matter, is always going to be the same in every month.

I did not consider the title listings for April in terms of their appearance in given time slots. Rather, I simply went quickly through the complete monthly schedule and looked at all of the titles for evidence of silent and/or foreign films. It was my *impression* that there were somewhat fewer of such films than the averaged number shown over the past recent months. An accurate count would perhaps reveal this to be a factual distortion.

However, I would bet that the trend is a gradually decreasing number of these films as the months roll by -- almost to the point of extinction.

musikone

> Earlier today Lara at Backlots posted an excellent piece about the definition of classic film

and here it is, according to Lara, the definition of classic film:

> my own personal definition of a classic movie when I am asked about it is a movie made more or less between the confines of 1916 (when filmmakers were really starting to ?get? moviemaking in my opinion) and the fall of the production code in 1968?with several exceptions to that rule allowing for great and culturally significant movies pre-1916 (such as ?A Trip To the Moon? and The Great Train Robbery) and post-1968 (such as Cabaret and Amadeus). I would also say that not every movie made between that time period can be considered a classic, but specifying a specific time period helps to get around some of the vagueness and muck that comes along with trying to make a clear-cut definition of anything.

All I can say to that is that I couldn't disagree with her more, and it's my wish that TCM never adopts her definition as an official policy.

>All I can say to that is that I couldn't disagree with her more, and it's my wish that TCM never adopts her definition as an official policy.

I agree, darkblue. Any definition that puts a film from 1916 with AMADEUS (1984) seems wacky in my opinion. She is lumping silents with precodes and code films. Then she is adding films beyond 1968 that she personally likes. Talk about subjective! Not a clear definition at all.

I was reading some replies here regarding 20 fans being guest programers in the month of April. Where did you find this information? I heard that there was only one fan chosen. I ask because the day that they announced the winner in November I received a call from Atlanta but missed it. I will be sick if I had been one of the ones chosen but missed out just because of a missed call. Can anyone help me clear all of this up? Thank you!

>Where did you find this information?

It was originally announced at the TCM Film Festival last year. I heard the staff talking about it during the *Meet the Staff* panel on the first day of the Festival. Will McKinley wrote about it here: http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/10-things-i-learned-at-the-tcm-classic-film-festival/

Not sure how the fan programmers were chosen this time but for the 15th anniversary they chose fans from various TCM forums. I suspect they did a similar thing this time choosing people from the message boards, the TCM Facebook page, Cruise participants and Festival goers.

The winner of the Ultimate Fan Contest will also be on the channel introducing a film with Robert O- at least according to the original description of the contest. http://fancontest.tcm.com/

That winner will also receive a free TCM Festival pass (and one for their guest) and introduce a film during this year's Film Festival in April.

Hopefully, the caller in November left you a message (?).

>No message left. I'm sick to my stomach right now.

Harlowfan,

I do know that when the fan programmers were called for the 15th anniversary, TCM staff who did the calling left messages with their name and phone number so that we could call them back if we weren't available when they first called.

I would imagine if someone from TCM called regarding fan programmers for the 20th anniversary, they would have left a message, or tried to call you back at another time or reached out to you via email or through social media.

Did you enter the Ultimate Fan Contest? If so, perhaps they were calling to let you know who the winner was.

If they didn't leave a message, perhaps they weren't calling from TCM?

*musikone wrote - However, I would bet that the trend is a gradually decreasing number of these films as the months roll by -- almost to the point of extinction.*

On the contrary, TCM has expanded the amount of these films over the last half decade. Stuff like the Mack Sennett festival in 2012 didn't happen in the early 2000s and 1990s. If there seem to be fewer silents and foreign language films at the moment, that's only because TCM, each year, has featured a huge number of these films during a certain point and then the number of those films go back down to their usual amount once the schedule returns to its usual fare. Silent Sundays and Imports haven't changed at all.

(Oh, and then there's 31 Days of Oscar, which may feature some silents and international films...but just as easily may skip over them due to the number of films usable for the theme - silents - or the availability of the films in a certain category - foreign language films.)

Remember, 2013 had month long tributes to Roberto Rossellini and Francois Truffaut...and the huge Story of Film series. Those absolutely pushed the standard number of foreign language films featured on TCM past any previous year.

TCM definitely isn't getting rid of those films.

• 2 months later...

How irritating is that for the first time in nearly eight years that they show A Woman Under the Influence it's pre-empted in Canada. The same thing for the premiere of Went the Day Well. And just to make sure, I'm going to be out of the country on my vacation.

People forget about all the new viewers who TCM expects to be tuning in this month. That is part of the reason for the Film Festival: To open the world of classic film to those who never considered it before.

So to feature stars like Doris Day and John Wayne makes perfect sense. I know there are those who would like TCM as their own personal movie channel but, unfortunately you'll have to share it with the rest of us.

Related to; "To open the world of classic film to those who never considered it before":

How does featuring Doris Day and John Wayne make "perfect sense" compared to featuring someone else OR no specific stars at all?

If the assumption is that the movivation behind the schedule relates to opening up 'classic film' to those that are unaware of it, to me it would make more sense to features various 'must see' films (e.g. Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Best Years of Our Lives, etc..), then just two actors.