Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DANE CLARK movies, really good! :)

FredCDobbs

I'm enjoying these rare Dane Clark movies. They are so much fun.

The French-American noir was strange. :P

His great short subject, I WON'T PLAY, won an Oscar for best short of 1944. That's the one where he is in the Army on an island in the Pacific and bragged about knowing Hollywood people, but no one believed him until some Hollywood people came to that island and they were his friends.

Dane Clark is not an actor I knew by name, though his face is definitely familiar to me. I feel like I've probably seen him in supporting roles without ever knowing who he was.

GUNMAN IN THE STREET was some sort of odd combination of Warner Brothers-style film noir with a THIRD MAN just post-war Euro-vibe. But hooray to TCM for putting in primetime this film that never got a US theatrical release. I'd be interested to know the story behind it. Certainly it was intended for a US release, with the dialogue in English and an American star. I think it would have to be tweaked a bit for the US Production Code of the time. There was a bit of sexual innuendo and an intense self-surgery scene that might have been tamed down a bit for US release. It's not always easy for me to watch a film where the protagonist has no redeeming qualities whatsoever (see also Cagney in WHITE HEAT). I enjoy the acting, but are we supposed to be rooting for this scumbag to get away or what?

EMBRACEABLE YOU is another genre mash-up ... romantic tragedy with noir trappings. Some posters on this board really wax rhapsodic about how how great iold movies are just because they're old, but I think if we're honest with ourselves, we would have to say many studio era films have fairly ludicrous, heavily contrived plot set ups. This movie works best if you don't spend time dwelling on the convoluted plot setup to get the romance going, but the romance with its tragic overtones is compelling. It borrows a plot device from DARK VICTORY, in which a woman who shows no symptoms is kept clueless about the fact that she's probably going to drop dead at some point. The ethics of this seem highly dubious and possibly illegal to me, not to mention sexist - those poor fragile females; they aren't emotionally mature enough to handle the truth, so let's treat them like children and lie to them for their own good! But I guess movie audiences bought this approach as compassionate and humane back in the day. Wonder how many real-life doctors did this back then. Seems like I remember Robert Osborne relating an anecdote once that Marie Dressler was never told she was deathly ill.

Anyway, two movies I'd never seen before, and I enjoyed both.

I've always been a Dane Clark fan only wish he had done more films, although according to his imdb page, he did a lot of TV.

Glad they show I WON'T PLAY a lot as a filler on TCM. I especially enjoy him playing with Bette Davis, there aren't many who can hold their own with her.

And I've always preferred his real name, Bernard Zanville to Dane Clark.

Wow-here's the imdb picture of him-he certainly aged well!

MV5BMTMyMzU4OTA5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk5

One of my favorite Clark films is WITHOUT HONOR (released in 1949, originally to be called TWILIGHT). It stars Laraine Day as a cheating housewife who stabs her lover and tries to hide the crime. Very economical melodrama with Agnes Moorehead, Franchot Tone and Bruce Bennett. A King Brothers production released by United Artists. Directed with pedestrian panache by Irving Pichel and with a brooding score by Steiner. This used to be part of the old Medallion TV package but it has pretty much vanished except for a poor DVD release.

> Dane Clark is not an actor I knew by name, though his face is definitely familiar to me.

Know what you mean. I always kinda liked Dane Clark long before I KNEW it was Dane Clark. He had an easy to get along with appearance and a clean, natural style. It surprises me he didn't go much farther.

Sepiatone

Yes, I watched the first two films. Nights like last night is why I love TCM. Makes up for other nights when they are showing From Here to Eternity for the umpteenth time...Where else can you watch films like this? Wish I could've stayed up to watch the rest. Really liked the first film, though the end was a bit over the top. Kept me guessing all the way. Embraceable You, the plot was hard to swallow, but once I got beyond that enjoyed that too. Dane Clark was a really good actor. I haven't seen him in much.

Did anyone else think that one French Actor came off as a French version of Billy DeWolfe (in looks and manner?) LOL....

WHIPLASH is the one I enjoyed most last night. And BACKFIRE is a guilty pleasure, too.

I wish the prints for both GUNMAN IN THE STREETS and THAT WAY WITH WOMEN had been restored more.

But I was glad to see this line-up on TCM last night!

Edited by: TopBilled on Jan 9, 2014 10:01 AM

GeminiGirl- LOL- I switched stations after Embraceable You and lo and behold there was Dane on an episode of The Untouchables LOL- It certainly was his night. Thought *Gunman In the Streets* was great, really enjoyed that film. Eh for *Embraceable You* and wasn't in the mood for the Greenstreet film. I've already seen *Whiplash* and *Backfire* but still wish they had been on earlier. At any rate, I also got a kick watching Dane last night in the films and The Untouchables

I have always wanted to see That Way With Women (the film with Greenstreet), mainly because Martha Vickers was the lead actress.

Vickers was Carmen in The Big Sleep and I have always been smitten with her. She was a knockout in this movie. The movie was only so-so but it had its moments. Greenstreet played a very animated character and that was fun to see as did Dane Clark.

What was great for me was the movie was designed to feature Vickers assets. They must have featured her in about 10 really nice gowns and she looked great in all of them. Even my wife liked the fashions she wore in the film. What was also neat were the Warner?s supporting players that were in the film. For example, during a baseball game scene two actors that had substantial roles in the BogieBacall film Dark Passage had bit parts; Clinton Young and Rory Mallinson. So the movie had that WB late 40?s vibe.

Yes and don't forget Herschel Bernardi and Elisha Cook, Jr. were in this episode besides Carroll O'Connor and Dane Clark. Richard Conte was in one the other night. Seeing all these shows from our past is so much fun. All these great character actors keep popping up on these great shows. Sunday nights are fun on Me-Tv, noir night. Naked City, Mr Lucky Peter Gunn. Sometimes Sunday nights can be a tough choice between TCM and these great old shows. I really enjoyed watching Route66, such a good show. Ah well, so much to see, not enough time :)

Yes and I don't blame you for wanting to see Martha Vickers. I didn't care all that much about *Embraceable You* and too bad That Way With Women wasn't on after *Gunman In the Streets* ( that I really enjoyed so much) instead of Embraceable You. I was just in the mood to not get into another film, so I wanted a change last night. Hopefully the film will be aired again in the near future on TCM. Glad you and your wife enjoyed the film, james :)

Dane Clark will return to THE UNTOUCHABLES in the same role, along with John Gabriel. Figure it on being in two weeks as they were the 4th and 16th episodes of the 4th season.

I figure they were trying for another series, sensing that Stack wanted out. The one with Barbara Stanwyck that airs Friday night also smelled of being a pilot for a possible series.

I like Dane Clark a lot...at least, the little I know about him.

This is one of the advantages of watching TCM; I don't believe I would have seen this actor at all were it not for the odd film I've caught him in while viewing our favourite television channel.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned *A Stolen Life*. (Or maybe someone has, and I just didn't see it.)

Dane Clark is quite memorable in this as the tough, no b.s. artist who falls (maybe) for Bette Davis' good twin in this enjoyable 1946 drama. I like the contrast between Clark's unsentimental rebel character and his somewhat sweet, somehow vulnerable-looking face. He doesn't look like a tough guy.

He's also fun to watch in *The Very Thought of You*. The scenes between his down-to-earth,"I just want a woman"-type character, "Fixit", and the girl he likes, Cora, are pretty amusing.

An undeservedly forgotten actor, whose work is always engaging.

He was good-looking, in an unusual way. (Kind of a Mel Ferrer type, another actor I like and whom I feel is under-recognized.)

dane-clark-2-sized.jpg

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 10, 2014 1:38 AM

Hi clore- Thanks for the heads up on the episodes, definitely will watch the Stanwyck one tonight. That's too bad that Dane's Dr. role wasn't turned into a series for him. As far as Stanwyck goes, that would have been a hoot seeing her in a gangster type of show, but she loved westerns so much, she probably would have gone with The Big Valley anyway. Enjoying watching the series very much when not watching TCM or sleeping ;)

>I'm surprised nobody's mentioned A Stolen Life.

Not mentioned, but in the memory bank as a great Dane Clark role. I thought he played very well paired with Bette.

>Really liked the first film, though the end was a bit over the top. Embraceable You, the plot was hard to swallow, but once I got beyond that enjoyed that too

You know this got me thinking....

Over-the-top actors like Cagney, Bette Davis & Claude Rains just flourished at WB studios. Maybe the writing, plot lines were so unbelievable, "big & dramatic" acting styles worked well for them.

Maybe more subtle actors like Dane Clark just didn't burst across the screen as well and that's why he's delegated to "supporting" roles.

What do you think?

HI ya Miss W ;)

As much as I like Dane Clark in *A Stolen Life* (and I like this film very much) I thought he was a little over the top with that performance.Just too angry and unpleasant in that one, without him being dangerous. (if that makes sense) I much prefer Dane as a tough guy and even though again a little over the top was *Gunman In The Streets* . If he was going to play that full of rage type of role, rather see him as a thug.

*The Very Thought of You* was such a sweet film. *The Pride of The Marines* was a very good role for Dane. He was very good as the buddy type in those films.

Tiki, interesting that you mention Cagney. While watching *Gunman In The Streets* Dane's character reminded me of Cagney's Cody Jarrett in *White Heat* a little bit. Of course in *White Heat* we know why Cody is deranged, in *Gunman* we don't know why Dane's character is as dangerous and brutal as he is. It's an intense performance by Dane.(loved Simone Signoret in this one)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings