Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: Hey, are any TCM fans Freezing?

FredCDobbs

It is cold out here in the Southwest US, but about the same as last year.

I see on the news channels that Northeastern US states are colder now than they have been in the past 20 years.

How about you Canadians?

Burrr.. the type of weather to watch THE THING! :P

Thanks Swithin and obrienmundy.

I lived in Montana during a big freezing winter of 1948-49. Cows in fields froze to death while standing up. Cattlemen would walk over to them and push them over to see if they were alive or dead.

In the Detroit area we got about 8 to 12 inches. Last night I dusted of my Subaru with a broom. This afternoon I made to a grocery store 2 miles away. I'm starting to get cabin fever a bit.

It would be a good time to watch South Pacific, but for some reason I'm watching DR Doolittle. Last night I DVR'd a surfing movie called Beautiful Wave. Maybe I should be watching that, (perhaps later after the BCS game.)

On a semi related note, did Samantha Eggar do her own singing in that movie?

Yes Mr. Dobbs, the great Blizzards of the Winter of 1948/49. My father was rancher in western Nebraska and he told me there was still patches of snow in sheltered spots up until early June on our ranch which is amazing. He as a former B-24 bomber pilot in WW2 rented a local plane and went up searching for any cattle left alive for our ranch and others nearby. What a massive winter that was over the northern plains.

Interesting, thanks! Were you born yet, in 48/49? :P

I guess I lived about 400 miles away from your father's ranch back then, since I think I was living in Hardin Montana at that time, in Southeastern Montana. We also lived in Ogallala, NE at some time in 48 or 49, but I don't remember when.

Living in Montana and Nebraska was like living in the 19th Century back then, except we did have cars, electricity, and running water. But no TV and no daytime radio, and some of the small towns didn't even have a movie theater.

A "night out on the town" was going down to the local cafe with friends and having dinner and talking for a couple of hours. It was boring for us kids if there were no other kids present. Hank Williams was on the juke box, and that was about all there was in the way of music. No rock and roll yet.

I remember when Lash LaRue came to visit in one small town, on a promotional tour, and they had a big parade for him. He was so famous as a Western Movie Star, he was treated like Royalty.

No Mr. Dobbs I wasn't born until 1950 so I did not experience much of what you did. Interesting to hear about it. Just heard about it from older relatives. My grandparents had homesteaded our Nebraska ranch near Scottsbluff in 1912. I stayed a couple of nights in Ogallala this past summer when I was visiting Lake McConnehey (sp) and the Nebraska Sandhills area from Colorado. That winter of 48/49 is still the stuff of legend in the northern Great Plains. Nice hearing your experiences of the times.

I remember the name of Scottsbluff. I don't remember if we lived there or not. My father was a type of geologist, doing surveys around that area, and we often moved a lot, sometimes spending only one or two weeks in each town. I changed schools quite often. I lived in Casper and Douglas Wyoming a while, which is not far from Scottsbluff. We moved to the Southeastern US sometime in 1950. It was then that I learned that the whole country wasn't like what I saw in person and in Western movies. It was a culture shock for me to go from cold to hot so quickly.

We have no new snow today, but the HIGH temperature is - 10.

That matches our predicted low in Washington for 7:00 tomorrow morning, although that includes wind chill. The actual low temperature is supposed to be a balmy +6. This will be one of the few times in my life I've felt mildly envious of Floridians.

It was -21 degrees Fahrenheit here today in the midwest, and health alerts were posted around town telling people to remain indoors until Wednesday. The town has warming centers (its phrase, not mine) for people who do have to go out in the cold.

I recently moved from southern Arizona to western Wisconsin (to be closer to my father during his illness). I've gone from 70s on average to below freezing almost each day. I miss the dry desert heat of the past ten years. It spoiled me and I am undergoing a huge adjustment now!

Personally, I don't like "wind chill" reports on the TV news. It always confuses me, since many weather reporters fail to tell us what wind chill means, and I get it mixed up with the actual temperature. Also, the wind might be blowing in part of the state but not in other parts.

I just want the temperature, and I automatically know it will feel colder when the wind blows. More wind, more cold. No wind, no extra cold. I already know that. I don't need a meaningless number from some abstract mathematical equation.

Also, our local news shows tell us how much the temperature is up or down today, as compared to yesterday. So I look at the TV screen and all over the state I see -5, +6, -2, -3, etc. and I think that is today's temperature, rather than the difference compared to yesterday.

So now I've got to try to figure out what THE ACTUAL TEMPERATURE outside IS, not all these other numbers. They are meaningless. That's like network news reporters who say "Gold prices are up today", without telling us what today's gold prices are. Well, "up" could mean $1,600 or $1,200. A big difference. Just give us the price today, and we will know whether gold has gone up or down. And give us the actual temperature and we already know that it will feel colder if the wind blows.

I doubt it will be 78 in Miami tonight. Tampa is supposed to be 31 with a possibility of the 20's. I'm okay but there was a man sleeping in my church driveway last night. I gave him breakfast money this morning but wonder how he, and others like him, will fare tonight. Of course this is nothing to what you Northerners are dealing with. Folks, you are being thought of and prayed for; I'm certain the rest of us stand ready to help in any way needed.

I read the information about the 1948-49 deep freeze with interest. From *Centennial* and historical articles I knew about the 1887-88 freeze that killed off so many stock but not this more recent one. I feel for livestock and agricultural growers who stand to lose so much in these situations.

Star, not as cold here at night. More like 56-60, although tonight maybe 45, but then back to the high 70's during the day. Of course as I wrote before only wishing that everyone stay safe and warm and yes thoughts are with everyone having to face the bitter cold. Let's hope this cold snap gets out as quickly as possible and more seasonal winter temperatures take it's place.

The wind chill factor is often key to if one lives or dies due to cold.

I watched March of Penguins last night and they made that very clear.

Most of the little Penguins chicks could survive while protected by one of their parents if the wind was light, but one day the winds kicked up and that killed more chicks than anything else.

So those Penguin parents would disagree that the wind chill factor was meaningless.

Well, I've heard it too often spoken on the news as if it is the actual temperature, and that confuses everyone who hears that report. Sometimes the weatherman says "And now for the wind chill..... 10 degrees in Albuquerque, 5 degrees in Las Cruces, 15 degrees in Gallup, etc." But he doesn't say if the wind is or isn't blowing in those towns, so nobody knows what the actual temperature is or if the wind is blowing in those towns, while he is giving the wind chill numbers for each town.

He could easily just give the straight temperature and say "with high winds", or "with no winds", for each town, and we would know the rest automatically.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings