Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monty Clift month

hilruss

It has been a good learning experience seeing the Montgomery Clift movies this month (more to come, too) I was inspired enough to actually go to the library and check out some books on him. Yes, while his life reads like a Greek tragedy, it apparent that he is an important figure in the history of performance. If you do research him, be warned, his life was not the happiest. I thought if today there were a movie being cast for the story about his life, Edward Norton (hair darkened) could portray his intensity of younger years, or for the later years, Dennis Quaid. What do y'all think?

Montgomery Clift has always been my favorite actor (along with Jack Lemmon). Montgomery Clift always seemed to put his haeart and soul into every performance. Yes, his life did seem like a Greek tragedy: trying to hide his sexual preference, the accident that forever changed his appearance and the drinking. But, in my minds eye, all that and more shaped him into the actor that we all love and know. Not sure who could portray Monty today....

I have enjoyed TCM's selections of Montogomery Clift films this month. What a tremendous actor! I had never seen "Miss Lonelyhearts" or "The Heiress" before and was again amazed by the brilliance of his performance. Myrna Loy also gave a fine performance, playing against type, in "Miss Lonelyhearts", and Olivia DeHaviland and Clift were superb in "The Heiress". My favorite Clift film remains "A Place In The Sun," which also had fine performances by Elizabeth Taylor and Shelley Winters.

How right you are Azuretux. I'm glad that you discovered the exceptional film "The Heiress" which is also one of my favorites. DeHavilland won a best actress Oscar for her role. "A Place in the Sun" is also a favorite and the chemistry between Taylor and Clift are magic. Shelley Winters was Oscar nominated for her excellent plain Jane part in the film. No doubt that Clift was one of our most talented actors.

Mongo