THE LONG VOYAGE HOME (1940)

_April 23_

3 GODFATHERS (1948)

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)

RIO GRANDE (1950)

THE QUIET MAN (1952)

THE WINGS OF EAGLES (1957)

HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962)

SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (1955)

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (1945)

OPERATION PACIFIC (1951)

THE FIGHTING SEABEES (1944)

BACK TO BATAAN (1945)

THE GREEN BERETS (1968)

_April 24_

REUNION IN FRANCE (1942)

FLYING TIGERS (1942)

FLYING LEATHERNECKS (1951)

THE SEA CHASE (1955)

CAST A GIANT SHADOW (1966)

BLOOD ALLEY (1955)

RED RIVER (1948)

THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS (1941)

REAP THE WILD WIND (1942)

THE SPOILERS (1942)

I MARRIED A WOMAN (1958)

_April 25_

TALL IN THE SADDLE (1944)

WITHOUT RESERVATIONS (1946)

TYCOON (1947)

ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947)

TROUBLE ALONG THE WAY (1953)

BIG JIM MCLAIN (1952)

RIO BRAVO (1959)

NORTH TO ALASKA (1960)

MCCLINTOCK! (1963)

THE SHOOTIST (1976)

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER (1965)

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)

_April 26_

BIG JAKE (1971)

The only movie I'm looking forward to seeing is The Spoilers, with Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott co-starring.

I will also recommend Angel and the Badman, for those who haven't seen it--even those who have. Not a blockbuster, but a really admirable movie with Gail Russell co-starring, whose stunning blue eyes, I swear, come through even in black-and-white. Harry Carey, too.

>Rather see the films spread out over the month, ie. there are 5 Wednesdays in April.

Or they could have saved the Duke tribute for another month. But I am glad they did it this way!

This is something where we do not really need to go out of our way to complain. TCM has done a good job scheduling this.

Looks more like the STAR OF THE WEEK. Spreading those out over the entire month might be more convenient for more people to be able to SEE more of them. I DON'T believe, in spite of some evidence to the contrary, that all TCM viewers sit in front of the tube 24/7 watching TCM surrounded by their CATS.

Sepiatone

>Looks more like the STAR OF THE WEEK. Spreading those out over the entire month might be more convenient for more people to be able to SEE more of them. I DON'T believe, in spite of some evidence to the contrary, that all TCM viewers sit in front of the tube 24/7 watching TCM surrounded by their CATS.

Sepiatone,

I don't think they expect even the most loyal viewer to watch the channel 24-7. Unless you are bedridden for an entire week, most people will not catch all of the Duke marathon on TCM in April.

But with the advent of newer technologies, there are ways to record as many of the offerings as possible and watch them later.

Isn't the point that TCM is scheduling all these great classic film titles? And that we have access to them? In this life. Or in the nine lives some of us may have.

This Wayne tribute is why the DVR was invented. :)

Seriously, I watch almost no TV at all at the time it's actually scheduled. For years I've relied on my VCR and more recently my DVR to watch TV at the time that's most convenient to me. I suspect that this will only become more common in the years to come as the technology proliferates and audiences take advantage of the convenience and ability to "customize."

I applaud TCM for giving one of our greatest stars such a wonderful festival.

DVR's only hold so much material with so many films shown in a short period a person would have to watch and delete constantly to gain enough space. In this case, (Wayne) I'm not a big fan, so it doesnt matter, but I could see if you were.

MovieFanLaura,

You're right, the DVR is perfect for this type of classic movie marathon. In fact, I know some people who have two DVRs, and I am sure they will use both during this week in April. I do not have that luxury, and with the one DVR I do have, I will record certain selections that have special value or meaning to me. I am particularly interested in his Warner Brothers B films from the early 30s. His Monogram films air fairly often on the Encore Westerns Channel, and I can always get that stuff later.

So the point is that there are some great offerings in April if you are a Duke fan. And if you don't whine about it, you can figure out which films are most important, and to make sure you don't miss them!

I'm one of those who has a DVR which I back up with a DVD-R recorder, which can either do additional recording if my DVR is nearing capacity, or I move things from the DVR to the DVD-R if it's going to take me a while to get to them.

I also suspect Wayne fans such as myself will already have a number of his films on DVD and not need to record everything. I'm really pleased by the number of relatively obscure early Wayne titles TCM is showing! :)

>DVR's only hold so much material

The new ones are great. I recently switched cable companies and my new DVR is fantastic. It used to be that the HD recordings took up massive amounts of memory but not so much anymore. This morning when I checked, I had nine films on my DVR-- half were in HD from TCM and half were in Standard from FX Movie Channel. Nine films. And only 3% of the memory was used. So I still had 97% storage available on the DVR.

At this rate, I can put over 300 ninety-minute movies on my DVR before I run out of space! Since TCM is not broadcasting 300 John Wayne movies, I think I will be able to swing it in April.

Edited by: TopBilled on Jan 9, 2014 1:42 PM

That's good to know. Mine is definitely not in that league..........

As for the rest of your post, you are not the only one on the boards entitled to an opinion and everyone has the right to complain.........

For someone who complains about other's rudeness you can be quite rude yourself............

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 9, 2014 3:29 PM

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 9, 2014 3:32 PM

>I'm really pleased by the number of relatively obscure early Wayne titles TCM is showing!

So am I! Like I said, I am eager to see the Warners B's he made in the early 1930s. Though they are all on DVD I don't own any and I think I have only seen one of them (there were six produced and all six are scheduled). So this is where I appreciate TCM's efforts to bring the relatively obscure items to us.

Plus, I am happy to see as many Republic titles on the schedule as there are-- I thought TCM would probably not air many of those. This is a real bonanza.

Well Mr.R, as I'm sure you know, there won't be a lot of shots of Tequila downed in THAT sort of party unless they're showin' "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"...

However, because this John Ford classic was filmed in glorious B&W, I'm thinkin' TODAY'S frat boys probably wouldn't even come to such a shindig even IF word got out the Tequila was free!

I mean, YOU know how most of the youngins today think B&W movies are SO "uncool", doncha?! ;) LOL

(...and btw, yeah, I know Duke also says "Pilgrim" in "McLintock" once too)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings