Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The next season of Essentials

TopBilled

Thanks TopBilled.

Did you get this information from the March and April schedules or is there a link to the next season of The Essentials?

I'm curious as to what will be included after April..

I still only see the current season's movies listed on The Essentials section on the TCM site.

Hey! Laura!

Beauty and the Beast is definitely, definitely essential.

OK. Now. Can I consider myself to have a full round grounding in film without having seen Sugarland Express?

Mmmm. Yes.

The same for How to Marry a Millionaire?

Yeeeess.

>Did you get this information from the March and April schedules or is there a link to the next season of The Essentials?

From the two monthly schedules, yes. I have not seen/found a link yet listing all the titles. Usually in May there is a repeat, and there are repeats occasionally during the summer-- but I agree, there will definitely be more selections. It will be fun to find out what they are once the link is posted or as the May and June schedules become available.

>slaytonf wrote: Beauty and the Beast is definitely, definitely essential.

Excuse my French, but you are absolutely correct! They should pair Jean Cocteau's 1946 fantasy film "La Belle et la B?te" with his equally dazzling 1950 drama "Orph?e" ("Orpheus").

>slaytonf wrote: Beauty and the Beast is definitely, definitely essential.

>jakeem wrote: Excuse my French, but you are absolutely correct! They should pair Jean Cocteau's 1946 fantasy film "La Belle et la B?te" with his equally dazzling 1950 drama "Orph?e" ("Orpheus").

Are you saying Cocteau's BEAUTY & THE BEAST is a 1946 film?

Wow. I saw Cocteau's B&TB once maybe 30 years ago and my memory of it must be kind of dim. I remember it all grainy and contrast-y and thought it was a very early movie, made like in the 1920's-30's.

Just goes to show how fallible memory is! Well, at least I remember enjoying & being impressed by it.

>TikiSoo wrote: Are you saying Cocteau's BEAUTY & THE BEAST is a 1946 film? Wow. I saw Cocteau's B&TB once maybe 30 years ago and my memory of it must be kind of dim. I remember it all grainy and contrast-y and thought it was a very early movie, made like in the 1920's-30's.

I believe the movie is part of the Criterion Collection, I'm sure it's been cleaned up considerably, which means TCM will have a sterling print.

Edited by: jakeem on Jan 8, 2014 7:02 AM

• 1 month later...

TopBilled.

Go to MONTH'S HIGHLIGHTS at the top of the page.

A list will appear.

Click on THE ESSENTIALS and it will take you to THE ESSENTIALS page where you can then click on SCHEDULE.

Until recently the previous year's schedule appeared, but I saw a promo today directing viewers to the schedule online and, lo and behold, the new schedule was there.

Thanks to Holden's detective work, here's the full schedule:

_MARCH 2014_

MARTY

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS

THE PINK PANTHER

HIS GIRL FRIDAY

_APRIL 2014_

FIELD OF DREAMS

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE

LAURA

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST '46

_MAY 2014_

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

STELLA DALLAS

THE HAUNTING

THE DIRTY DOZEN

MY FAIR LADY

_JUNE 2014_

ON THE WATERFRONT

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS & BLOW-UP

THE CHAMP

_JULY 2014_

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

BUS STOP

METROPOLIS

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS

_AUGUST 2014_

THE PINK PANTHER

THE THIN MAN

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

MARTY

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE

_SEPTEMBER 2014_

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER

BELLE DE JOUR

HIS GIRL FRIDAY & NETWORK

LAURA

_OCTOBER 2014_

TWENTIETH CENTURY

STELLA DALLAS

FIELD OF DREAMS

THE HAUNTING

_NOVEMBER 2014_

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

THE DIRTY DOZEN

ON THE WATERFRONT

THE CHAMP

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST '46

_DECEMBER 2014_

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

MY FAIR LADY

THE BLACK STALLION

THE THIN MAN

_JANUARY 2015_

BUS STOP

METROPOLIS

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER

TWENTIETH CENTURY

Just a quick glance shows many multiple showings for the same movie. Given that the biggest problem with The Essentials is that there's seldom anything new, this is kind of like adding insult to injury. It's one thing for movies like Laura, which seldom show up on TCM's regular programming, but the vast majority of these double (and even triple) dippers are movies that show up time and time again to begin with, such as His Girl Friday, Stella Dallas, and Bus Stop.

I agree, Andy. For the reasons you so delicately stated, I am disappointed in the new season of Essentials.

One rarely screened gem like LAURA and a few foreign films does not fully offset the rest.

There is a huge amount of usual suspects-- repeat showings (not only is the film repeated but the wraparounds for this series get repeated), and though this last point does not bother me so much, I am sure people will complain about the high volume of newer classics.

Then there is the fact that Drew Barrymore is probably past her expiration date as the co-host for Essentials. It really is time for someone else to sit alongside Robert. Sorry Drew fans, but that is how I feel.

Andy, I really think that it's time to retire the concept. There are films on the list which seem to run every month anyway - ON THE WATERFRONT and MY FAIR LADY for example.

ALICE B. TOKLAS may be the worst choice for an Essential since they aired THAT TOUCH OF MINK.

Essential Essentials :

Beauty and the Beast

Laura

Metropolis

Belle de Jour

Network

The Black Stallion

And despite repeats:

Stella Dallas

On the Waterfront

Marty

In the Heat of the Night

The Pink Panther

My Fair Lady

The Thin Man

His Girl Friday

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

The Champ

Non-essential Essentials:

How to Marry a Millionaire

Bus Stop

Twentieth Century

The Dirty Dozen

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas

The Sugarland Express

To Be Or Not to Be

Indeterminately-essential Essentials:

the rest

SHOWINGS:

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT - 1

I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS - 1

BLOW-UP - 1

BELLE DE JOUR -1

NETWORK - 1

THE BLACK STALLION - 1

MARTY - 2

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS - 2

THE PINK PANTHER - 2

HIS GIRL FRIDAY - 2

FIELD OF DREAMS - 2

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE - 2

LAURA - 2

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST '46 - 2

STELLA DALLAS - 2

THE HAUNTING - 2

THE DIRTY DOZEN - 2

MY FAIR LADY - 2

ON THE WATERFRONT - 2

TO BE OR NOT TO BE - 2

THE CHAMP - 2

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? - 2

BUS STOP - 2

METROPOLIS - 2

THE THIN MAN - 2

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT - 2

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER - 2

TWENTIETH CENTURY - 2

I do not understand the problem here. TCM is showing 28 films for the new season of The Essentials. There are 44 Saturdays remaining in the TCM schedule AFTER the 31 Days of Oscar schedule.

This means that TCM could show 48 single showings of films throughout the remaining 48 Saturdays. Or that TCM could show a certain amount of one time showings followed by double showings of other films. They do this every year. There are always repeat showings of Essential films. Obviously they either do not have all the money in the world to showcase one film for each Saturday, which would be 48 separate films, or they WANT to showcase multiple showings of certain films throughout the season.

Or TCM wants to show repeats so that people who may have missed the first showing of a particular film will be able to see that film again.

Now as far as showing the same old films each season, I think what happens is that TCM tries to get newer films for each season, but like everything else on the channel, some films are seen multiple times throughout the year. Whenever TCM appropriates films to be shown, in some or many instances the films are packaged with other films from whichever distributor they are coming from.

So if they show The Dirty Dozen twice on The Essentials, the film could also be shown four other times throughout the year. Maybe? Probably more or less depending on who the distributor is and how many other films are packaged along with The Dirty Dozen. Or possibly along with the The Dirty Dozen, the film distributor has decided to allow / include Field of Dreams for two showings and to get Field of Dreams, TCM has to agree to show The Dirty Dozen six times during the year. So they show Field of Dreams and The Dirty Dozen twice during The Essentials.

I don't know exactly how the films are distributed or how many films are agreed upon and how often a certain film is supposed to be shown. I am sure each and every distributor has certain rules or requirements for particular films. Overall I think that folks need to be aware that TCM does do the best that they can by showing as many films as they do.

Look at it this way. As long as TCM shows the films they do show, they are much better at presenting films than other channels like The Fox Movie Channel. Ever look at their schedules?

slayton wrote:

>OK. Now. Can I consider myself to have a full round grounding in film without having seen Sugarland Express?

>Mmmm. Yes.

>The same for How to Marry a Millionaire?

>Yeeeess.

But slayton baby, how can you know whether these films are "Essential" material if you've never seen them?

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 22, 2014 12:41 PM

Dang this "quote" business ! One needs to take a course just to make it even semi-effective. (Sorry about the salty language.)