Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

The next season of Essentials

BeverlyBuzzby wrote:

>Add BLOW UP to that. It's one of the most awful movies I've ever seen.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. It's one of my favorites of the era. The IMDb ranks it at 7.7, so it seems most people like it. As finance says, it is an excellent portrait of swinging London, but it is more than that. Great cast, great director, lots of interesting subtexts, a good mystery story. And, a performance of The Yardbirds. They wanted The Who, but they couldn't get them. That's why The Yardbirds smashed their equipment, something that only The Who were doing at the time.

There is a camp quality to that grocery store scene. One almost expects Fred to start knocking over cans and bottles, making a mess and then taking a pratfall.

LOL I can't stop giggling about this. The other thing that strikes me funny in that movie is how ol' Fred McMurray is such a smoothie, calling her "baby"....I grew up watching Fred as the dry patriarch on My Three Sons, so it just cracks me up.

I'm going to have to fire this one up on Netflix tonight!

I think Mad magazine did a parody called aptly Throw Up. I remember reading it............

I just saw the promo for the new season. Osborne and Barrymore going on about how they've now viewed over 100 films together.

Technically, it's about half that since each title is repeated, thus after two years there are 52 screenings and 52 replays.

Foreign Correspondent! That means TCM Canada will get *two* opportunities to preempt it for something else!

>"Together"? Do they actually sit there together and watch the film along with us?

No, it was meant figuratively. They film the wraparounds the same way they film the Robert O and Ben M intros/outros. Usually across 5 days of filming.

As to your earlier point about supermarkets in the City of Angels, Ralphs was founded in 1873 and became a pioneer in self-service markets and checkout stands in the 1920s and 1930s.

By 1928, there were ten stores around Los Angeles with the most famous one being in Westwood.

In the 1930s, the market included bakeries and creameries and in the 1940s they added delis and other in-store conveniences we still have today.

By the 1950s, there were over 100 Ralph's around the Southland.

Despite the larger supermarkets, small neighborhood markets, like the one Phyllis and Walter met in, were still very popular through the 1960s.

The way I figure it, The Essentials will be blacked out in Canada on four occasions in the next year -- two airings each of *Foreign Correspondent* and *To Be or Not To Be*.

Thanks. If they literally watched the movie together, I could see Bob saying to Drew, "I'll bring the popcorn---you can bring the Jujy (sp?) Fruits.

I always say Jujy Fruits (j-u-j-y is the correct spelling, I looked it up); but I don't buy them, I don't like them. Each candy gets horribly stuck to my teeth and my tongue ends up hurting from trying to get the pieces off. I've heard jujubees as well... also Swedish Fish? Maybe the name of this candy is determined by what region you're in. I'm in the good ole Pacific Northwest.

My movie candy of choice are Sour Patch Kids. My husband and I smuggle in some candy and buy a giant Coke and we're all set for the film. I don't buy movie popcorn, as delicious as it is, I always get a kernel stuck on the back of my tongue and spend the whole movie trying to get it off.

It's "Jujubes", pronounced JOO-JOO-bees, and my dentist always has a big bowl of them on his reception desk. Says they're worth at least one French Riviera vacation a year. He used to offer Bit-O-Honey, but they only got him to the Bahamas.

Your dentist? Eat enough of these things and you'll be your dentist's most lucrative patient.

Well, you remember what P. T. Whatley once said: "There's a cavity born every minute." ;)

I agree with all of you about the repetitious and unexciting line-up for this season. Cocteau is interesting, but I love you ,Alice B Toklas and Sugarland Express? I am also so sick of Drew Barrymore co-hosting. I'm tired of her juvenile critiques and lack of knowledge about films. She really hasn't been exposed to many of the classics that most people would consider classic film 101. All of the hosts that came before her were well versed in film history and had insightful observations and little known facts to contribute. I especially liked Molly Haskell and Rose McGowan ( who was a much better choice if TCM was trying to appeal to a younger audience because she's actually smart). Even Alec Baldwin eventually won me over and surprised me with his depth of knowledge and intelligent viewpoints. I don't enjoy knowing more than the hostess and Drew leaves me groaning. Three seasons is just too much. I know Robert thinks she's adorable, but cuteness can only go so far. Time for a change. I feel mean saying this and don't want to sound so harsh, but I can't help it. When I saw them gushing about yet another season, I knew my patience had reached it's limit.

You summed it up perfectly, cfstanwyck. That is exactly how I feel about Drew Barrymore's continuing gig as an Essentials co-host. Usually, I try to remain positive about TCM's programming, but I do think that the Essentials program is jumping the shark, and that Barrymore's presence is hindering, not helping, things.