Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Three old western movies I saw as a kid - Can anyone help me identify them?

Garcia_G

Greetings everyone. Three scenes, from probably three different movies have stuck with me for a long time, and it would be great if someone could help me to identify these movies.

The first one is a scene were someone has been caught by a rope tied to a horse when a stranger appears and shoots at the rope from a very long distance so that the man caught is released. I think the sharpshooter says something like "You will now travel under the name Joe Smith" and that the rifle was a Winchester. I seem to recall there were buffalos involved as well.

The second scene is the end scene of a movie where a gunfighter has traveled up in the mountains to chase his antagonist and the temperature starts to drop. He sits down on a stone and falls asleep. The next morning he has frozen to death and he's all iced.

The final scene is a gunfighter who comes to a village where the children are sick. He takes the powder out of a cartridge and heats it so that the sick can inhale the steam from the heathed powder. I think he says that this is a method he learned from his father or something.

Lets start with the 3rd film.

That sounds like "Four Faces West" with Joel McCrea as the good bank robber who stumbles upon a family in a bad way and stays to get them well, while being chased by Pat Garrett{Charles Bickford}. A wonderful underrated film.

The second could be "The Last Hunt" with Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger as buffalo hunters. Taylor being the bad guy.

Not sure on the hanging film. There's a scene or 2 in "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" with Eastwood shooting the rope as they hang Eli Wallace. But there's been a few films with the rope being shot away..

Many thanks for your reply. Four Faces West could definitely be the one. I checked an old TV listings database and there it was, Four Faces West, aired in july 1979, which fits very well in time! And the same goes for The Last Hunt, which was broadcasted back in 1982. That's fantastic, I've been looking for these movies ever since!

As for the hanging film, I'm pretty sure it's not The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. From what I can recall they were out in a field, with possibly some fences present, and I think the guy who took a shot at the rope had a moustache. I'm pretty sure the movie's in black and white also.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings