Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there a right way to complain about TCM?

TopBilled

This is definitely a general discussion, and I invite folks to comment and participate in a reasonable conversation.

Do I think TCM is perfect? Of course not. But it is 97% close to being perfect. When there is that 3% part I do not like, how do I go about voicing my displeasure? How should I go about voicing my displeasure?

I think there is a classy and artful way to complain. Instead of saying, those rat-b*stards in the TCM programming department still are not airing DING DONG WILLIAMS and I have been requesting DING DONG WILLIAMS for over 19 years-- maybe I can say, I sure to heaven wish DONG DONG WILLIAMS would get scheduled. And maybe I can start a thread saying 'Rescue DING DONG WILLIAMS from the vaults.'

Think of how great the world would be if DING DONG WILLIAMS aired on TCM. Think of how great the world would be without incessant complaining about everything the TCM programmers are not doing correctly.

I think I saw a film at the Pussycat theater called DING DONG WILLIAMS starring John Holmes. ;)

I suppose the best thing to do is realize TCM is gonna do what they're gonna do no matter who complains how many times, and just let it go. I might not be happy as a clam about everything they do there, or some of the programming either. But since I'm not the only one watching, I suppose I can wait until they DO program something more to my taste. And since, unlike it seems a lot of people in here have, I HAVEN'T seen every movie made between 1910 and 1999, I'll chance at looking in from time to time to see if I get pleasantly surprised. In fact, THAT has happened so often on TCM that it's become one of my MAIN reasons for watching.

Sepiatone

Hey TB! This here "Ding Dong Williams" guy...he wouldn't have happened to have hailed from the town of Dumas Texas, would he?!

'Cause if he DID, word is you "should have seen him do his stuff"!

(...and no Sepia, I'm don't think it's THAT sort of "stuff"!) ;)

>Anne Jeffreys, James Warren, and the Sons of the Pioneers?! Sign me up, now I want to see DING DONG WILLIAMS too!

During the eight years I have had TCM, I can only recall it airing once. And the cable went out that day and I only was able to see a portion of it. It is known for having some very good diverse musical selections.

I don't know if there's a right way or a wrong way to complain. But I do know that I'm so fed up with the same old same old on TV, I went and bought a few sets of Charlie Chan DVDs and the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes collection.

If nightclub singer Ringa Dinga married Ding Dong Williams she would then be Ringa Dinga Ding Dong Williams ??

And if they lived on a ranch, would they have a horse named *Long Dong Silver* who would gallop off with *Ringa Dinga* for a little *"Catherine the Great"* style action while *Ding Dong Williams* was out pounding Lone Star beer at the local saloon? ;)

> Is there a right way to complain about TCM?

The short answer is YES.

I love how threads go "off the rails" so to speak. The original post by TopBilled was very good, except he had to throw in a silly sounding film from 1946 to illustrate his point. Had he not done this, I think this thread would have gone off in a completely different direction. Maybe not as silly as this thread has become, but maybe a more intelligent conversation would have occurred.

There is nothing wrong with a little fun.

But if someone posts an intelligent thought about a somewhat serious subject, then I think the conversation should somehow be a little more serious than those few who post on every other thread their unmistakingly silly diatribes.

>The original post by TopBilled was very good, except he had to throw in a silly sounding film from 1946 to illustrate his point.

I was going to use THE JUDGE STEPS OUT as my example, because it's a film in the Turner Library that I feel should be played more. But then I thought it might seem I was using the thread to be preachy or promote a personal agenda. I picked a silly sounding film so that we could see the humor in the way people have these tirades against TCM's programming department.

I do think there is a right way (or a more constructive way) to complain. Or at least to get the programmers' attention. The campaign that was mounted a few years ago to feature Joel McCrea as Star of the Month was very successful. The programmers took notice, and we had a wonderful month of fan-driven programming as a result. Nobody complained about that.

To get to the serious side of this thread topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting critical about TCM or anything or anyone else. There is such a thing as being tactful and trying to be constructive in making a complaint. I believe whoever the TCM people are out there who are monitoring these boards will accept those "complaints" in the spirit in which they are intended. Some posters come on way too heavy handed and that just defeats whatever valid point they may have to make. As for making some lighthearted or silly comments from time to time it is never my intent to degrade the conversation or the original poster's topic. There are more than enough mean spirited comments made on these boards so I think anything that can be done to diffuse that is a positive thing. We do often get a little carried away with the fun however.

I was able to get into General Discussions through a "side door". When I try to click on "Forum Home" or try to access the message boards the usual way, I am getting the "server error" screen with all the gibberish. This has been happening all day. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Yes- There is the Contact Us link to click on and the Feedback link at the bottom of the page that takes you to the Contact Us page for you to click on. I can't say that I have much to complain about TCM per se as much as their care for the way they let KickApps neglect the Classic Film Union as they have for a while now, but I'll still watch because I know TCM values their viewers.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings