Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Dabb

The Monolith Monsters (1957)

I can remember this as, quite probably, the very first sci-fi film I ever saw - it seems so, anyway. Here's a current YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAPqOWnosMI

This is not currently on TCM's schedule (will it ever be?), but you can watch it on Me-TV this Saturday (that's tonight, for those of you who are totally disconnected) on Svengoolie's show at 10:00 PM EST

I just finished watching this film for the second time in my life. So many years between - I remembered only one scene.. when the night wind, through open windows, knocks over a beaker of fluid onto a sample of the monolith on the bench. This activates it and all hell breaks loose in that back room.

This was like watching it for the first time all over again :)

You obviously saw this "classic" on MeTV 's Svengoolie show. Back in the sixties all of these 50's sci fi, monster movies were a regular staple on local tv movie broadcasts (late at night, Saturday mornings, etc)

I saw it on MeTV too. Must have seen it before because bits were familiar. I laugh about the thousands of tire tracks that must have been in those deserts just from movie makers alone! These movies usually turned up on Zacherlie's midnight movie show and his shenanagans usually made them watchable. At least you hung around to see what he'd do next no matter how bad the flick was.

There's no way I could'a sat through the whole movie on Svengoolie's show :) I found a decent copy on YouTube and watched it full-screen straight thru.

Svengoolie isn't a bad show, lots of very corny gags but he offers up some interesting comments on the films and the stars. A show like that might be a welcome addition to the TCM line up.

Oh, I didn't mean Svengoolie's show was intolerable, it's the frequent interruptions of the film. His additions are always welcome.

I agree the guy's not bad. These monster movie host gigs were always done on the cheap anyway and I guess you work with what you've got. Zacherlie use to walk into the film through cuts in the screen. They actually ran a movie on a screen and put the TV camera on it in those days. It was pretty funny back then but again, you used what was available. And cheap. MeTV advertises Boris Karloff's Thriller on Sunday at 10 PM but the listings don't show it. Any one catch it? My totally favorite SciFi/monster show ever.

Svengoolie just aired *Tarantula* last night. Filmed about 2 years before *The Monolith Monsters* and they used some of the same music score (probably used numerous times in those years) and I will swear at the end the same small desert town was being threatened by the "creature".

Universal used the same town in all those sci-fi films in 1950's - I'm surprise it wasn't visited by the creature.

The people in that town would be wise to take some strong security measures for protection; dig a deep moat around the town , electrified fencing, some tactical nuclear weapons, etc :) or better yet, I'd just leave town altogether.

Several years ago, MONOLITH, TARANTULA and 8 other films were released as The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection - two volumes of 5 DVDs each. The quality of these remasterings is excellent, too, and at the time were Best Buy exclusives for their first 6 months of release. THE MOLE PEOPLE, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE LEECH WOMAN and INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN were some of the better known titles, but all of these (CULT OF COBRA, DR CYCLOPS and MONSTER ON CAMPUS are pretty decent - relatively speaking). THE LAND UNKNOWN is my least favorite of the lot, but I'd LOVE if 10-film collections like these only had one dull one!

Someone mentioned John "Zacherle". Is he still around? Whem ny family lived in Newark, Zacherle used to be on Channel 13 on Saturday nights. Always made me laugh, looking down on the floor and conversing with his wife[?], always saying "Yes, my dear..."

Here in the San Diego/L.A. area, there used to be a show that was on very early in the morning, maybe one or two A.M. On L.A.'s Channel 5, the show was called "Movies Until Dawn" Probably back in the early 1980's.

Anyway, they used to show many of the old 50's sci-fi movies like TMMonsters. I recall seeing "Kronos" too. I had a VHS tape recorder and taped over 100 of the 1950's sci-fi movies. Yes, had to deal with the used car lot commercials, but the movies took me back to my chilhood in Newark.

Kronos is a great movie. Earth vs the Flying Saucers, Attack of the Crab Monsters come to mind as "campy" but melancholy and nostalgic for me.