Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1-11-14 interesting films later tonight....

Darb

Weird night in film. I'll be asleep most of the night, but I think I'll be able to record one of them on DVD.

I think all three of the titles tonight are "No Code" films. Meaning, they showed only in small independent theaters in big cities, and they didn't require MPPDA Code approval or a Code number. In cases like this, a city, county, or state usually had its own "decency code" that kept the films from containing too much outlandish stuff.

I just saw Chained for Life (1951) on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2jCYjstjx8

The Wild and Wicked 1956 is also on YouTube.

Glad you mentioned Chained For Life, since as soon as I saw the "Musical" logo on the TCM schedule page, I didn't even bother to read the description. That's not the first time I've seen that "Musical" designation on some very non-musical genres.

I watched "The Wild and the Wicked" aka "The Flesh Merchant" tonight and am near the tail end of "Chained For Life."

"The Wild and the Wicked" was interesting. I was expecting something kind of cheesy like the 40s and 50s exploitation films that they show on the "Something Weird" channel on Comcast On Demand. I knew that no good was going to come from Nancy leaving her nude modeling job, cash in hand to purchase some "essentials" like bikinis and negligees that no good was going to come from this. From watching episodes of HBOs "CatHouse," it was obvious from the get go what type of establishment Nancy was in when she arrived at the house. I liked the plot twists and I liked Nancy's sister Paula's passionate speech about how sleazy the whole situation was. I felt bad for Nancy the whole time because she was so dumb. I also felt bad for the over the hill prostitute, especially after she got beat up.

"Chained for Life" was also a strange film, it brought up all kinds of questions and comments about living as a conjoined twin between my parents and I. One twin goes out on a date, the other has to join. One twin gets married, the other twin, by proxy, is kind of married to that guy too. I am curious how intimate relations work. One twin has to go to the bathroom, I suppose the other just stands there and waits? They have two toilets side by side so the other can take care of business too, or at least have somewhere to sit while the other is occupied? So many questions that this film raised.

The main question this film had, however, was what does the court do when one twin commits a murder and the other obviously witnessed it, but was innocent. In the film, the court sought the death penalty against the guilty twin; but then asked the viewers what to do. How do you punish the guilty party without consequently condemning the innocent, conjoined party?

Finally, the actor playing the manager in this film played a cop in a few episodes of "I Love Lucy." I recognized his voice. He was also in the Errol Flynn film I watched the other day-- "Footsteps in the Dark."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings