Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors/Actresses who showcase unexpected talents in film

speedracer5

Tonight, I watched "Never Say Goodbye" with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker. In an attempt to woo back Eleanor Parker, Errol sings a few bars of "Remember Me" to her whilst they slow danced. His singing wasn't half bad! He's no Sinatra by any means, but he's much better than some actors I've heard trying to sing.

This inspired me to start a new thread: What actors/actresses showcased an unexpected talent in one of their films?

Clark Gable did his own stunts in The Misfits, demonstrating a talent with horses. Sadly, it was hard work and some have said that the strenuous activity might have contributed to his heart attack shortly after the film was completed.

I recently saw FOLLOW THE BOYS (1944) with my film club and was surprised to see how good of a dancer George Raft was. Everyone ELSE knew he was a dancer but me, who only thought of him as a gangster tough guy.

Also was surprised to see how light on his feet beefy charactor actor Alan Hale was! Don't recall the movie, but Hale was surprisingly graceful!

>I recently saw FOLLOW THE BOYS (1944) with my film club and was surprised to see how good of a dancer George Raft was. Everyone ELSE knew he was a dancer but me, who only thought of him as a gangster tough guy.

Yep, Tiki. I have to admit I knew George could dance.

(...but as I think we ALL know, he sure as hell couldn't ACT!!!)

LOL

Gene Autry sings the blues in the 1920s Jimmie Rogers style:

Gene Autry, Blue Yodel No. 5, 1929:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6g9azQsW7M

Jimmie Rogers, Blue Yodel No. 5, 1929:

Gene Autry, In the Jailhouse Now:

Jimmie Rogers, In the Jailhouse Now:

Rare Jimmie Rogers film short, 1930::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlURYJI-xs

Sinatra was a singer, not a dancer, but he managed to dance alongside Gene Kelly without embarrassing himself......and of course, Fred Astaire was a dancer, not a singer, but managed to perform songs well enough so that many of the major composers had him as their #1 choice to introduce their songs to the public.

I watched this video last night after searching You Tube to see if there were anymore instances of Flynn singing. I'm not embarrassed to say that I may have watched this video more than once or twice. He stated in his biography that his voice "sounded like a duck." I don't think Errol gave himself enough credit.

>Sinatra was a singer, not a dancer, but he managed to dance alongside Gene Kelly without embarrassing himself......

And.. TCM regularly runs an interstitial narrated by Nancy Sinatra (I believe) which shows these two in perfect dance sync. Nancy explains something like.. Gene Kelly said Sinatra couldn't dance and was his quickest study - picked it right up.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings