Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ann Sheridan Star of the Month

Next year would have been here 100th birthday TCM needs to do a big salute. Maybe that biography we have been waiting for years will finally come out too. TCM could also make a documentary of her career.

If at least, TCM could dedicate an entire day showing her films I'd be happy with it. A documentary would be so much welcome as well. Ms. Sheridan is certainly one of my favourite Actors, Who could argue that she is so gorgeous as well?

Some time ago, TCM chose Dennis Morgan as the star of the month, and you bet I was so thrilled about it. Never I thought he would have gotten the attention he deserves.

Hopefully Ms. Sheridan will get the best treatment TCM can offer on her honour. I do look forward to it!

I love Ann Sheridan. I'm waiting for TCM to show *Navy Blues* (1941) so that we can enjoy her singing "When I get my summer vacation..." in a grass skirt. One of my favorite musical numbers, ever!

Maybe they can show her seldom seen movies from paramount and Universal. They can even show some of her tv appearances too. She hasn't been star of the month since the 90's. She was one of the Summer Under the Stars a few years ago. She starred in many films of all different genres. Each night can have its own theme. Like comedies, dramas, musicals, mysteries, westerns. She was ahead of her time and deserves to be remembered.

What a great idea! There are so many of her movies that I just love. Dommy, that was a wonderful idea to show some of her Universal movies. While not award winners, they were so entertaining. One of my favorites is "Take Me to Town", a comedy western with Sterling Hayden. I hope this comes about.

Terrence.

Ann Sheridan was one of the great dames of the movies.

She wasn't an actress that was ever in the running at Oscar time, but for sheer entertainment value, Sheridan was one of the great joys of '40s filmgoing when she got good material (which wasn't often). No one else could sling out an acid one liner quite like this actress, yet there was always that touch of vulnerability about her character lurking just beneath the seemingly tough exterior.

No other actress could handle Cagney quite as well as she did (she could stand up to the little dynamo like few others, making them one of the great screen teams that few ever talk about). Even wooden George Raft in They Drive By Night seems to loosen up just a bit when he was playing opposite her.

And, then, when Sheridan fought for and got a good dramatic role in King's Row, she gave a touching characterization, bringing a warmth and likeability to the role of loyal Randy Monaghan, who stands by her man no matter what tragedy overwhelms them. Who wouldn't want to have a girlfriend like Sheridan's Randy? Even with all those great character actors in that same production, Sheridan's performance was not overshadowed.

Warners never aqain gave Ann Sheridan material as good as this. Yet, there are still distinction pleasures to be found in the actress's contributions to such films as Shine on Harvest Moon (even with her singing voice dubbed, she still could put across an old time Gay '90s song like few others), Nora Prentiss, The Unfaithful and Silver River (with Errol Flynn, another great screen partner for her).

The post-Warners '50s was a generally dispiriting decade for Sheridan in the movies. There was one small triumph for the actress, however, Come Next Spring, a charming bucolic tale of redemption, with Sheridan as a farm woman raising a family whose alcoholic wanderlust husband returns home after years. Sheridan was older by this time, of course, and looking a little tired, but her performance rings with total conviction.

I would definitely welcome seeing TCM have a tribute to this great and too often overlooked actress.

A film that I've loved since I watched it on TV when I was a young girl was *I Was A Male War Bride* Sheridan was so good as a strong woman, who loves her man but has a very practical no nonsense side to her. Grant in this one reminds me a little of his role in *Bringing Up Baby* Again, another great Hawks film. I don't think a tribute to wonderful Ann Sheridan would represent how really good an actress in a comedy she was without showing *I Was A Male Bride* .

I Was a Male War Bride was the only real hit Sheridan enjoyed after leaving Warners. She later stated in an interview that she and Cary Grant had hoped to work together again if the right material could be found. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Many people may not realize that she had her own TV series toward the end of her life. It was called Pistols and Petticoats (I think). It was renewed for an additional season, but, unfortunately, she was taken from us much too soon..

Ann Sheridan, a notorious chain smoker, succumbed to cancer before the first season of Pistols 'n Petticoats was completed. It's my understanding that at the end, particularly with the disease she had, she just wanted to keep busy.

Two footnotes to Ann Sheridan's career:

1) In *Kings Row* she didn't appear on the screen for more than 60 minutes after the opening credits began, even though she was top-billed. That has to be a record.

2) Her publicity photos were usually of the sultry and seductive type, but she generally played the girl next door. (An exception was the floosie in *They Made Me a Criminal.*)

In an interview Ann Sheridan had not long before her death, she was fairly dismissive about the quality of most of her films and, for that reason, didn't think that her career would be remembered. I'm afraid that outside of film buffs like ourselves, that latter appraisal of her's has turned out to be true.

Among the few films of her's for which Sheridan did express affection, however, were Torrid Zone, Come Next Spring and, particularly, King's Row. She seemed to be quite proud of the last title.

As the Oomph Girl,.Ann's image from around 1939 was a sultry and seductive type. Girl next door she was not. She did usually play people from the lower strata of society, but to me Girl Next.Door conjures up Jeanne Crain, Joan Leslie, June Allyson, etc. in the 1940s. Ann's ooph was another matter, and it was exploited in any number of her films.in the 40s. She may not have usually been totally bad, but was usually enticingly in between....a normal woman, incredibly sexy, with normal urges.

Ann Sheridan worked on two films simultaneously in 1941, The Man Who Came to Dinner and King's Row. And for those two films she received one weekly cheque.

It wasn't often that Sheridan got good material while she was a contract player at Warners. Ironically, one of the roles that she turned down because she went on strike at the time with the studio would when been in one of her best films - The Strawberry Blonde. Sheridan's miscalculation there turned out to be a blessing for Rita Hayworth, who was cast in the title role in her place, receiving an important career boost.

To my eyes, the peak of Sheridan's glamour appeal came in 1943 - her musical number in the all star Thank Your Lucky Stars. Servicemen were obviously kept in mind as she did this turn out of patriotic duty, so to speak.

6058e0c53d0e04154444342d98a41a74.jpg

There's a sophistication about her sensual appearance in this film, however (not unlike that of the post war Rita Hayworth in Gilda) that still makes it appealing. And no other '40s actress wore a snood quite so attractively as Sheridan.