Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 Oscar Nominations -- Actors & Actresses Robbed

diana.g1990

This morning the 2014 Oscar Nominations were announced. To see a complete list of the nominees you can visit: http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/86/nominees.html

Overall, I'm content with the list of nominees. However, there were a few actors and actresses I was shocked to see not receive nominations for their work.

1. For Best Actor: Where was Tom Hanks for Captain Phillips?!?!

2. For Best Actress: I thought Emma Thompson would get nominated for Saving Mr. Banks. In fact, I was shocked to see that Saving Mr. Banks wasn't nominated for many awards.

3. I felt the Best Supporting Actor category contained the biggest surprises. Daniel Bruhl for Rush and James Gandolfini for Enough Said were definitely robbed of nominations. However, I do believe Jonah Hill's nomination in this category for The Wolf of Wall Street was a pleasant surprise.

4. Best Supporting Actress: Where was Oprah Winfrey for The Butler?!?! Also noted, The Butler was not nominated for a single award. Plus, I personally would have liked to see Margo Martindale nominated for August: Osage County. However, Julia Roberts received a nomination for August: Osage County.

What are your thoughts?? Please share!!

*Note: Award Ceremony airs live on March 2nd!

I, too, was surprised by the absence of Tom Hanks for *Captain Philips*. Also surprised that *Inside Llewyn Davis* didn't make the cut for Best Picture.

Very surprised that Oprah Winfrey and Emma Thompson got shut out for *The Butler* and *Saving Mr. Banks* respectfully

Very surprised that the only nom that *Captain Philips* received was for Best Supporting Actor (no Best Director nom).

Was surprised that Robert Redford failed to get a nom for *All is Lost*.

Also surprised that *Philomenia* only scored a Best Actress.nom and Harvey Weinstein proves again what a master salesman he is with noms for both Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts for *August: Osage County*.

There are probably a few others but I need to study the noms a bit deeper.

>Isn't the title of this thread in error? These would be Oscar nominations for films released in 2013.

Uh-huh...but evidently with an additional slight correction to your thought here, TB:

As is apparently the trend now days, "Oscar nominations for films released in LATE 2013"! ;)

(...and hence most likely the reason Redford and few others who's films came out earlier in the year were left out)

Also surprised that *Fruitvale Station* and *Mandala: Long Walk to Freedom* didn't get any noms.

Surprised *Blue Jasmine* lost out in Best Picture noms but Cate Blanchett, who will likely win, was nominated for Best Actress.

Very suprised that *Blackfish* and *Stories We Tell* weren't nominated for Best Documentary. *Stories We Tell* was the front runner and with it now not in the running, perhaps *20 Feet from Stardom* has a better chance.

Lastly, no noms for *The Butler* and no nom for Joaquin Phoenix for *Her* or Spike Jonez for directing the film.

That's the way it goes. Everybody thought Eddie Murphy was a shoo-in for an Oscar after getting the Globe for DREAMGIRLS, but by Oscar time, he was treated like an afterthought. When Sylvester Stallone put out COPLAND, there was lots of talk about "Oscar buzz", but when Oscar rolled around, the movie was more or less forgotten.

Personally, I didn't see ANY of the movies or performances in question, so I have no opinion as to the nomination's merits. Rest assured, there'll be plenty of disappointment not only over who wins, but who got left out. But just remember, none of our personal feelings over favorites matter much in the big picture. They'll nominate and elect whom they wish for whatever the reasons, and the movie going public be damned.

Thus it always was, and always will be.

Sepiatone

Surprised as well that Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were not nominated. However I think there might be a changing of the guard taking place in Hollywood. More and more of the acting awards are being given out to younger stars. Except for Meryl Streep who can pretty much be counted on getting a nomination each year. She can be in the worst movie and still get a nomination.

In the case of Hanks and Thompson, but more Hanks I think they have become over-exposed. Hanks with all of his producing chores in addition to his acting, plus he DOES have two Oscars already.

In the case of Thompson, I did read a lot of material predicting a nomination, but I had a sneaky feeling she was NOT going to get a nomination. Although when you think about it, her last nomination was back in the 1990's I think. If only Meryl had not been nominated AGAIN for the 100th time, maybe Emma would have had enough votes to get in. Oh well. She too has two Oscars.

And another thing, I would have thought that either Man of Steel or Star Trek Into Darkness would have at least garnered some technical award nominations. The Lone Ranger for Special Effects???? Are you kidding me???? Probably the worst film of all time.

> She can be in the worst movie and still get a nomination.

That's true. Ever see THE HOURS?

OK, she didn't even get nominated for that. But she gave one hell of a performance.

In fact, the paradoxical thing about that movie is that in spite of the three actresses who appeared in the movie( Streep, JULIANNA MOORE and NICHOLE KIDMAN) giving the performances of their lives, the movie still SUCKED!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings