Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Films on tv screens in movies

This thread occurred ro me when i awoke at 3 am, and THE STORY ON PAGE ONE was about to start on FMC (ive seen it many times before, even have the dvd). Anyway, in the first scene after the striking credits, Katherine Squire enters lawyer Tony Franciosa's house, hoping to hire him to defend daughter Rita Hayworth, arrested for murder. On the tv, rhe dialogue is from LAURA, and Waldo Lydecker is explaining about being the most widely misquoted man in America.

What other movies, preferably pre 1970, have a scene where a classic era Hollywood movie is being shown on TV? I couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

>THE APARTMENT-----GRAND HOTEL (almost)

LOL

Yeah finance, I've always loved that scene where Lemmon's hopes keep getting dashed while sitting in front of the set with that TV dinner!

Though, this DOES spring to mind all the movies made mostly in the '50s and '60s which also feature someone sitting in front of a TV set showing that same cowboys/cavalry and Indians chase scene that Lemmon keeps changing the channel away from...and even though off the top of my head I can't name a particular movie with this instance, but I know I've seen it.

In "Sunset Boulevard," Norma Desmond and William Holden watch one of Norma's silent movies. The movie they're watching is actually one of Gloria Swanson's old films.

I know this is post-1970, but in "The Shawshank Redemption," they watch "Gilda."

In the film The Savages Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are watching the original Jazz Singer with their father in a nursing home Rec Room. When the last scene with Al Jolson in blackface appears they feel really awkward.

Well, if we're now gonna talk about POST-1970 films, then the most obvious example of all this would be in TikiSoo's favorite Tom Hanks movie..."Sleepless In Seattle".

In fact, the whole movie's premise is of course pretty much based upon a showing of "An Affair To Remember" while a number of people are watching it.

(...and btw...sorry TikiSoo...I just couldn't resist that one) LOL ;)

In Summer of '42 (1971), the opening sequence has the three young protagonists watching Now, Voyager (1942) in a movie house, although that film actually was not released until October of 1942.

And in Weird Science (1985), the two teenagers who "create" Kelly LeBrock have the 1931 Frankenstein on television at the time.

In *The Grifters,* Anjelica Huston receives a telephone warning that her boss knows she's been stealing from him. She leaves immediately; on the TV is the movie she's been watching: *The Lady Vanishes.*

In *Brute Force,* the inmates watch *The Egg and I.*

Yeah, I've noticed more of that sort of thing in POST 1970 movies.

In Michael Keaton's DREAM TEAM, Keaton is watching THE GRAPES OF WRATH in an opening scene.

Remember when ET was watching THE QUIET MAN while getting drunk for the first time?

Sepiatone