Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What kind of film...

TopBilled

imgres-2.jpg

Three to consider:

1. What kind of film would *James Stewart & Ingrid Bergman* have made? They both worked frequently with Hitchcock, but never with each other.

2. What kind of film would *Pee Wee Herman & Mae West* have made? Now that is something to think about (if their careers had intersected).

3. What kind of film would *Bette Davis & James Dean* have made?

Hmmmm....interesting.

I suppose a Stewart/Bergman movie would be some sort of romance vehicle, maybe.

I don't see Mae West going along with doing a movie with Pee-wee Herman per se, but maybe some goofball comedy with Paul Reubens, the actor who played Pee Wee. He was( is) pretty comically versatile.

Bette Davis and James Dean? A mother/son type of casting no doubt.

There's a lot of possible movie "odd couples" to consider.

Sepiatone

LOL Andy!

My own thoughts on that would be a TV movie of some sort, maybe about a kid who had been abused, runs away, then later returns to have it out with his dying. bitter-yet-unrepentant mother. It would be dark and melodramatic and would probably (given that it's TV) have happy ending. Of sorts.

Ingrid Bergman and James Stewart I think could have made a great collaboration with Hitchcock. I see them in some type of dramatic film or a thriller. Bergman, with the exception of "Cactus Flower," doesn't strike me as the comedic type.

Mae West and Paul "Pee Wee Herman" Ruebens... This could be very interesting. I could see Ruebens popping up in a film like Mae West's later work, like "Myra Brecknridge" or "Sextet." I don't think Ruebens would be able to fill Cary Grant's role in "She Done Him Wrong." He doesn't strike me as the romantic, debonair type. I see West and Ruebens in some bizarre, off the wall film-- which in that case, Ruebens may as well be his Pee Wee Herman character, because why not?

Bette Davis and James Dean... I, too, see some type of May-December romance type film. Or a film where James Dean would be a kept man of some sorts. Maybe Bette Davis would serve as not only a lover, but also as a mentor of some sorts. She's mentoring Dean on some aspect of his life, while also providing for him financially. She, in turn, is getting something back in return.

Some more to consider:

imgres.jpg

1. What kind of film would *Joan Fontaine & Olivia de Havilland* have made? Like in the 60s, in the horror genre maybe...

2. What kind of film would *Richard Widmark & Jack Nicholson* have made?

3. What kind of film would *Lucille Ball & Jerry Lewis* have made together? Kind of hard to believe they never worked together in a movie, and that he never showed up on any of her television series.

I think Olivia and Joan would could have made a great movie in the 50s. Olivia could play hard, cold type characters and Joan was still good as the shy, soft, type.

So a movie about two sisters or close friends where at the start Olivia dominates Joan, Joan suffers and almost breaks, than Joan gets a backbone and prevails over Olivia would of worked well.

Or even a dark comedy, where Joan and Olivia played two ruthless businesswomen competing for the same account/man; or as two scheming actresses fighting for the same part/man-- then they found out that one of them had been adopted years before and they were actually sisters! Of course, Ida Lupino would have directed it, since in real life, she was friends (and costarred) with both women.

When I replied to James, I was trying to think of modern-day siblings in movies...we have Jane and Peter Fonda, and we have Kate and Oliver Hudson-- but since Lynn Redgrave died, leaving Vanessa to go on without her, do we have any sisters who make films together...or brothers who make films together now? Do the Baldwins work together?

I could see Joan Fontaine and Olivia De Havilland in a "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" type movie. Maybe with Olivia in Bette Davis' role and Joan in Olivia's role. Though, they may have been fantastic in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" seeing that they hated each other so much.

No comment on Richard Widmark and Jack Nicholson. I've honestly only seen Widmark in an episode of "I Love Lucy" and based on that, I don't think I could place him into another setting.

Lucille Ball and Jerry Lewis... Hasn't Jerry Lewis gone on record saying that he doesn't like female comediennes? I think he said something to the effect that female comediennes aren't funny. I don't know if he'd want to be in a movie with Lucille Ball. I could see Lucy having to be a little less "Lucy" because Jerry Lewis wouldn't dare let her overshadow him or be funnier than him. I have a feeling Lucy would fall into a Dean Martin straight man role.

Lucille Ball and Jerry Lewis... Hasn't Jerry Lewis gone on record saying that he doesn't like female comediennes? I think he said something to the effect that female comediennes aren't funny.

If Jerry Lewis actually said that, it would be the first and last genuinely funny line that narcissistic moron ever spoke in his entire career.

For some reason, it's considered a "special treat" when brothers, brother/sisters, Father/ daughters/sons make a movie together. Don't know if that's due to ego or what.

I've always liked the western THE LONG RIDERS which featured the Keach brothers, Carradine brothers , Quaid brothers and the Guest brothers portraying The James brothers, Younger brothers, Miller brothers and Ford brothers respectively.

For some reason however, this doesn't happen that often.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Jan 22, 2014 11:27 AM

>What kind of film would Richard Widmark & Jack Nicholson have made?

TB, in regard to this question, I could possibly envision an older Father/Son conflict piece, something in the vein of the 1997 film AFFLICTION starring Oscar winner for Best Supporting Actor that year James Coburn and Nick Nolte.

I think both of them would've fit these respective roles quite nicely of a harsh and bitter elderly father and his middle-aged son, a small town Sheriff( "with issues" because of his upbringing) investigating the death of a man under suspicious circumstances...i.e. Jake Gittes.

What kind of film would Richard Widmark & Jack Nicholson have made?

That's easy: *GATS AT THE GARDEN:* Featuring a courtside duel to the death between two hotheaded rival fans, set during the 7th game of a Knicks - Lakers NBA Finals.

Of course Spike Lee would be the director. That goes without saying.

Jerry Lewis said that he didn't like women demeaning themselves for a laugh like most female comediennes do today. He doesn't approve of women in gross out comedies, which is pretty much most of the comedies today. He says that he had high respect for women and can't see her doing that type of stuff. Anyway he complemented Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, and several other female comediennes in the past, and has worked with many. Here's a video of him talking about the genius of Carol Burnett.

Three more pairings from the what-if department:

images1.jpg

1. What kind of film would *Marilyn Monroe & Frank Sinatra* have made? They almost appeared together in GUYS AND DOLLS.

2. What about *Cary Grant & Rock Hudson* in a movie? I suppose it would have been a romantic comedy, though both actors were capable of straight dramatic fare.

3. What if *John Wayne & Doris Day* had teamed up?

Speaking of Jerry Lewis, it looks like he is going to be honored at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival. I consider that very good news. And hopefully it means a screening of THE NUTTY PROFESSOR on TCM in the not-so-distant future. Fingers crossed. Toes crossed too.

1. What kind of film would Marilyn Monroe & Frank Sinatra have made? They almost appeared together in GUYS AND DOLLS.

I don't know what title I'd give such a movie, but you'd better believe I'd stage it in the White House bedroom. ;)

>Three more pairings from the what-if department: 2. What about Cary Grant & Rock Hudson in a movie? I suppose it would have been a romantic comedy, though both actors were capable of straight dramatic fare.

LOL

Hey TB! I hope you now realized that you've probably now sparked a little "mini-debate" within your own thread here by prefacing this here No.2 of yours with the inclusion of the word "both" here, don't ya?!

And 5'll getcha 10 the name "Randolph Scott" is almost SURE to come up in it!!! ;)

(...'cause I believe the jury is still out about Cary in some if not most peoples' minds!)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings