Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the ruling against internet freedom

28Silent

As you know competition is healthy ,but, many big business people don't agree with this ,They want to eliminate competition and keep variety limited.Under the Verizon ruling .If time Warner wanted too,they can eliminate their competition off the net or worse slow it down their speed.International historical films, Loving the classic.com rarefilms.com E crater.com ,Forcing you and me to be limited too what they sell on their website,If this happens i won't buy anything any more at Warner's shop,I may have to give up watching t.c.m.On the other hand if Murdoch resent t.cm ,He can slow down the internet connection speed or eliminate this website,The same for time Warner .If you believe in democracy classic film and that competition healthy ,then join the bipartisan effort to counter act this injustice against internet freedom of choice,Imagine no tcm website or no fox movie channel website ,this is wrong Variety and diversity is a spice of life

Edited by: 28Silent on Jan 18, 2014 5:09 PM

>On the other hand if Murdoch resent t.cm ,He can slow down the internet connection speed or eliminate this website,The same for time Warner

Neither Rupert Murdoch or Time-Warner own the internet.

The telcom companies, however, want very much to be able to charge a tiered system for streaming and downloading movies. The more you pay, the faster connection you can have. The less you pay, the slower your connection and the buffering problems that come with it.

The FCC made a mistake years ago when the mis-categorized the internet. They have to correct that mistake and categorize it properly to be able to police it and keep the telcoms from instituting a tiered system that favors those willing to pay more.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140117,0,1949780.column#axzz2qnHAQ759

>lzcutter said: The telcom companies, however, want very much to be able to charge a tiered system for streaming and downloading movies. The more you pay, the faster connection you can have. The less you pay, the slower your connection and the buffering problems that come with it.

That's it in a nutshell

ISP's have the ability to prioritize signals as a way to efficiently manage traffic flow. It's the same as using your office system to generate reports. With everyone in your building using the same hardware at the same time, all requests for the computer's time must be stacked in levels of priority in order to efficiently manage flow.

Just as air traffic control manages busy airport traffic throughout the day, the ISP's can decide which programs, or other content, should be allowed access to the fastest part of the stream - thereby shuffling other, not so favored customers to some lower level of priority. This will cause no or slow streaming, jerky signals, pixilation, extended load times.

The ISP's say they need to be able to do this in order to maintain efficiency in their system(s). Without this ability they say their system will bog down - similar to morning traffic when signal lights are not functioning as designed.

It's good for them to have this ability and use it for the good of everyone, but some have inferred it's misuse, heavily favoring the highest paying customers. Kinda like the Beverly Hills Police, I would imagine.

>It's good for them to have this ability and use it for the good of everyone, but some have inferred it's misuse, heavily favoring the highest paying customers. Kinda like the Beverly Hills Police, I would imagine.

I thought that's the way it is now?

I payed a little for very slow 56 k dial-up. I paid more for faster 256 k DSL. And now I'm paying even more for much faster 1.5 Mbs DSL.

I couldn't receive non-stop movies with 56 or 256 k, but I can now view non-stop movies with 1.5 Mbs.

FredC,

The telcoms want to charge more, much more. One of the ideas floating around is to charge people by the minute, like the old Ma Bell days of long distance calling. And the minutes would be the length of the film.

But they also want to be able to charge for not only the amount of time but the amount of bandwidth people are using. People who frequently watch films and tv via streaming eat up a great deal of bandwidth..

Right now, many people are finding that streaming, even at the higher speed like yours, during peak hours (8:00 pm-Midnight) is often slowed down because of the number of people on that bandwith also streaming.

The telcoms figure people will be willing to pay a higher rate to get that higher bandwidth speed and thus not have to worry about the peak hour demands.

Hi, thanks for your information.

I have NOT been following this story, so I don't know much about it.

I do remember when ISPs DID charge by the minute or hour, but that changed around the time I first signed up for "unlimited" time about 12 years ago. My ISP did have a lower rate for something like 50 hours a month. But 24 hours a day was just a few dollars more, so I took that, at 56 k, for about $19 a month.

When I went from dial-up to 256 DSL, that cost me about $15 more a month because that had to go to the telephone company for the DLS connection, but the local ISP fee went down to about $12.

Later 1.5 M cost a little more, again going to the phone company. I think I pay the phone company about $25 a month now, plus my local ISP about $12 a month.

I watch from 1 to 3 movies a day with my computer. Mostly older short movies.

Since it seems many people are willing to camp out in any sort of inclement weather in order to buy the newest "smart phone", the telecoms are correct in assuming that charging more for faster bandwidth will cause no discernable outrage. And it's THOSE nutjobs that are costing ALL of us more.

Sepiatone