Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Superbowl Counterprograming 2014

sfpcc2

The Super Bowl is in two weeks. The two teams have been set, Seattle and Denver. Also TCM counterprograming is also been set:

12 Angry Men

Lost Weekend

And The Oscar Goes To (Doc)

I put up a similar post last year when the movies where Mame and The Music Man. This year the films seemed to be more male oriented and less, well musical. Does anyone out there think this is a good choice? Is it a better choice than last year?

It's pretty much always been that most of the various TV networks and local stations tossed in the towel and didn't even try to do any serious counter-programming against The Super Bowl.

Sometimes they'd try going with female-oriented programs or movies, but times have changed and a lot of the ladies watch the game too. Even folks who normally wouldn't watch a regular game will tune in to The Super Bowl because it's an event that everybody will be talking about the next day.

TCM knows whatever it schedules will attract a smaller than usual audience and they probably just try to vary the theme each year. I don't really think it matters what they show.

Hmmmm...guess they couldn't get Frankenheimer's "Black Sunday", huh?! "Dern" IT! ;)

(...btw...my early line for Super Bowl XLVII is the Broncos by 4 1/2...because a 2nd year QB doesn't have the "right" to win it all...and probably won't)

(...btw...my early line for Super Bowl XLVII is the Broncos by 4 1/2...because a 2nd year QB doesn't have the "right" to win it all...and probably won't)

That second year QB isn't going to be facing his own #1-ranked defense, but Peyton Manning will. The Seahawks would be a steal getting 4 1/2 points, though from what I've seen it's more like 2 1/2.

Last year I was on the East coast, on business, and went to a Superbowl party given by a co-worker. By halftime most of the people were leaving because it was getting too late for their kids.

I wondered if this occurs at a lot of East coast homes. Also 90% of the people didn't care for the game. But there was another room with a TV and this room was only for people that cared for the game. I went there.

Yea, even most Superbowl parties on the West coast don't focus on the actual game, but I was surprised on that 3 hour time difference really sucked the energy out of the party. Of course I'm not saying this is true for most East coast SB parties.

My interest in the Super Bowl varies according to my rooting interest in the outcome and in the quality of the teams. And since that first Giants-Patriots SB, it's been high. Last year the Ravens pulled off a great four game run, and this year we've got one of the top QB's of all time facing one of the NFL's greatest defenses in recent memory.

I wish the game began at 1:00 or 4:00 rather than at 6:30, but hey, this is what Moneyball (the real kind) is all about. At least the Super Bowl doesn't end after midnight the way so many World Series games do.

And I'll bet you one thing: A lot of those West Coast SB parties this year will be focused on the game, at least the ones up North.

Looks like I'll be DVR-ing "The Lost Weekend." I wouldn't dare miss the Super Bowl; but I would really like to see "The Lost Weekend." I've never seen it before and I really enjoy Billy Wilder films.

However, I can't miss the Super Bowl. Football is my sport to watch during the year. I just watched the Broncos eliminate my least favorite team, the Patriots (who are on TV whining that Welker purposely took Talib out of the game. Somebody call the whambulance! You lost because you sucked that game). Hopefully next month, I'll see the Broncos take out my second least favorite team, the Seachickens. I know I'm from Oregon, I guess I should be rooting for the Seachickens, but I can't bring myself to do it. I was even rooting for the 49ers, even though I can't stand Harbaugh.

GO BRONCOS!

12 Angry Men as counter programming. Hmm. All these guys,

except perhaps for Fiedler and Marshall, would have been at a Super

Bowl party, most of them drunk as skunks. Whatever.

I was hoping the 49ers would win. I don't like either team that much, but

I'll go for the Broncos, without much enthusiasm. At least the Chili

Peppers will be playing part of the halftime show. :)

Now finance, I had NO idea that you were so...well...so CHAUVINISTIC, and evidently think these "women's movies" would be a good pick as some sort of great "counterprograming" move against the Super Bowl.

I'll have you know PLENTY of women now enjoy watching NFL games now days.

(...and besides, if they showed "Stella Dallas" during the game, it would deprive ME of yet ANOTHER good cry as I'd watch Stanwyck with head held high being brushed away by that cop from the house her daughter's wedding was goin' on!!!) ;)

I live in Seattle, and let me tell you, I can't get away from hearing about the Seahawks. The three radio news stations I tune into now break down their programs into three categories: traffic, weather, and Seahawks news (okay, not literally, but certainly every time I listen!). Today I glanced at a story in the paper about a Seattle resident who called a cafe near the Super Bowl stadium asking how the weather was there (as he makes his plans to travel). Please. I don't know that much about the sport but I anticipate I'll be a Richard Sherman expert by a week from Sunday.

Anyway, I will certainly be finding something else to watch on that day... could be women's weepies, could be comedies, could be noir... Heck, I'd almost be willing to watch The Incredible Mr. Limpet instead of the Superbowl. ;)

I wouldn't mind having your problem Eugenia H. I'm from Detroit and we've never been to even one of the 48 Super bowls. The Lions are a very frustrating team. They've just got a new coach but I'm not expecting much.

(Actually I'm from the Detroit area.)

>STELLA DALLAS is for all the men and women who won't watch the Super Bowl because the Cowboys are not in it.

LOL

Yeah, but haven't those Texans down there(and I'm not talkin' about the Houston team here) already cried ENOUGH while watching Romo get knocked down over and over again in the last game they played this year???

*I assume that you will never be selected as the person who gets to raise the "12th man" flag before each home game.*

Lol, no. I was walking outside one day when I saw a small airplane flying with a "12th Man" banner. I had to ask the guy I was with what that meant!

To be fair, the Seattle Times ran a story about "the rest of us", who don't live and die by the Seahawks, and their own plans for Superbowl Sunday. It was a comfort. :)

I wonder what's going to happen in the city on that day, though. Whether the Seahawks win or lose, it's going to be pandemonium in the streets. I'd better hide...