Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recently saw the musical "Funny Face" with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn. I'm enchanted by that movie. While Audrey, bless her heart, wasn't much of a singer, I thought she moved pretty well. But for me it was Kay Thompson as the fashion editor who stole the show. It's a very pretty film too.

I love this one, too.

I've always been struck by how often male singers who aren't that great (Rex Harrision comes to mind) get to sing in movies, while the females who are on key but not all that strong of voice are so often dubbed.

Speaking of singing, Kay Thompson was a great coach of singers in Hollywood (including Judy Garland) for many years. AND she created Eloise! Here's some more info about her:

http://www.eloisewebsite.com/library/9612_vanityfair.htm

THINK PINK! :) I love this movie- it is often knocked bacause Fred Astaire is SOOOOO much older than Audrey Hepburn, but men being much oldder than the women in movies never bothers me in movies ( except Babydoll- yuck I hate that movie )- like Love in the Afternoon with Gary Cooper and Audrey, or Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey, Sabrina with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey- gees, is there a pattern here? I think it is a compliment to Ms. Hepburn that the only men who were worthy to play opposite her were Hollywood legends, even though she was a relative "newbie". I love all those movies and especially Funny Face. I love it when she is a "bride". The visuals in the movie are exquisite!

Kay Thompson is definitely the person who gave Judy her screen presence, teaching her how to hold her arms, in many of those strained Judy ways, wrapped around her body, and she even was instrumental in having Garland utilize aspects of her vocal instrument, that Judy had seen as negatives, but Kay turned into positives.

Still...there had to be a silk purse to begin with, to make even better, and Judy had the talent to work with.

I love Eloise and just saw some footage of Evelyn Rudie recently, and can't get used to her being grown up and with brown hair!