Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM or Cable goof?

Sepiatone

Last night I hit the button that brings the schedule "grid" up on my TV screen on my cable remote. For TCM, it showed the Shirley Temple movie BRIGHT EYES was on. I also noticed that I had missed about the first half of it, but switched to TCM anyway because there was nothing else on at the time worth looking at.

Imagine my surprise! Instead of Shirley Temple, I was looking at Henry Fonda watch his "look alike" walk down the police station corridor towards the end of THE WRONG MAN!

This sort of thing has happened before and I've always wondered...do cable companies get the scheduling info for their "grids" from the networks and when? Or is it set up far enough ahead of time as to where the cable companies can't make last minute changes? Or was it TCM that goofed? Just how DOES that work?

Sepiatone

I turned to TCM last night halfway through the subsequent moive, PADDY O'DAY. I immediately saw Rita Cansino (Hayworth), so I knew that the correct.movie was.then on. Osborne mentioned in the closOPing comments to this one, or in the wraparound to the next,.PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES, that BRIGHT EYES had been shown earlier in the evening. Of.course the wraparounds were probably done a couple of months earlier. Anyway, cant say who dropped the ball, or even if.BE was shown or not.

I didn't notice that last night, but I've just about given up on relying on the Now Playing guide for anything much more than "Probable Listings". I've always thought that TCM should send out e-mail notices whenever there's *any* change in the program guide, either to Now Playing or to the online listings.

• Like 1

Here's another interesting "wrinkle".

My daughter just called and was telling me that the station TNT has been showing programs in SPANISH. BUT, on only ONE of the TVs in her house. The wrinkle? It's an older model set with NO "SAP" capability.

!?!

Sepiatone

• 2 years later...

Every Friday, I look through the coming week's schedule at tcm.com in order to determine which movies or documentaries I'm going to record for the following week.  When I set the recording up, the cable company's schedule grid invariably agrees with the grid on tcm.com.  But when i settle down to watch a particular show, I never know if it will be there, since about 10 percent of the time, the scheduled show has been replaced.  (This week, nearly 50% of my picks got replaced, which prompted me to publicly complain).  

Just as an example, I've twice now set Stagecoach to record, and twice have been disappointed. Third time lucky?

Just as an example, I've twice now set Stagecoach to record, and twice have been disappointed. Third time lucky?

STAGECOACH is part of the Criterion collection and can be viewed on Hulu for at least another month. I believe it will be moving over to FilmStruck, a Warners site that will have all or most of the Criterion restorations.

I didn't notice that last night, but I've just about given up on relying on the Now Playing guide for anything much more than "Probable Listings". I've always thought that TCM should send out e-mail notices whenever there's *any* change in the program guide, either to Now Playing or to the online listings.

I proposed that back in 2007 and a few of the diehards here advised me to just keep checking the schedule. I then showed how the monthly and the weekly schedules can disagree and gave an example. One know-it-all said that I have too many issues with TCM and should find another channel.

Every Friday, I look through the coming week's schedule at tcm.com in order to determine which movies or documentaries I'm going to record for the following week.  When I set the recording up, the cable company's schedule grid invariably agrees with the grid on tcm.com.  But when i settle down to watch a particular show, I never know if it will be there, since about 10 percent of the time, the scheduled show has been replaced.  (This week, nearly 50% of my picks got replaced, which prompted me to publicly complain).  

I just noticed that you were from Canada. There is a separate schedule for Canadian viewers and The Searchers may not be available there. That's just a guess but it's a possibility.

• Like 1

I'll bet you're a Rogers customer.  How do I know?  Because the geniuses making Rogers' onscreen programming grids have been using the standard TCM schedule, instead of the Canadian one, for about a year, now.  Sometimes, they're really clever, and post "Blackout in Effect", along with a synopsis.  If a blackout is in effect for Canadian programming, the channel isn't blacked out; it just airs something different.  I've even seen them list synopses that describe something totally different from the titles in the grid.  (For example, "Ernest Angely Ministries", with the synopsis of "Tiny Talent Time".)

In general, Canadians won't get to see any Hal Roach shorts (Laurel & Hardy, Charley Chase, Taxi Boys...), due to some weird rights issues.  I suspect this is also why we had to watch "MGM's Parade of Comedy" instead of "The Golden Age of Comedy".  I wish someone at TCM would fully explain exactly what the rights issue is, and look into challenging it.  It's frustrating always being second-class citizens.

Also, TCM's Canadian schedule doesn't generally list shorts and other fillers, only the features.  So, we can either take a chance and hope that the fillers in the U.S. schedule will get aired here, or just sit back and be surprised by what does/doesn't air here.