Candice Bergen

Katharine Ross

Louise Fletcher

Glenda Jackson

Maggie Smith

Mia Farrow

Sally Kellerman

Stockard Channing

We'll,.i'm assuming it's movie actresses. In which case I would add Diana Ross, Pam Grier, Natalie Wood, Vanessa Redgrave, Julie Andrews, Julie Christie, Ali McGraw. Liz Taylor was still making movies regularly, at least in the first half of the decade. And Audrey Hepburn, Shelley Winters, and Debbie Reynolds.

Yeah, it did seem some felt prone to listing every actress who worked in the '70's. Even some who were at the end of their careers. But just making movies in the '70's doesn't mean they DEFINED the decade.

Which is why I go along with FAYE DUNAWAY and DIANE KEATON.

Faye may have started big at the end of the '60's, but reached her peak of fame AND influence through the '70's. And Keaton did the lion's share of her better work in that decade, and had a huge influence on other actresses and pop culture as well.

For honorable mentions, I'd include GOLDIE HAWN and SALLY FIELD.

I know I should mention MERYL STREEP somewhere. While undoubtedly the finest actress in the decade( and other decades since), I think she more greatly ENHANCED the '70's than defined them. If ya catch my drift.

Sepiatone

Somebody listed Audrey Hepburn as a defining 70's actress? No. She was more the definition of the 50's and early 60's. I think. And Sigourney Weaver came more into her own in the 80's.

The first name that popped into my head was Jane Fonda, followed by Sally Fields. Jane for drama and Sally for comedy.

That's a list of actresses in the 1970's, but a lot of them didn't define the decade (for me, anyway). I would say:

Jane Fonda (I will never forgive her)

Farrah Fawcett-Majors

Karen Black

Diane Keaton

And: as far as TV goes, Cher, Dolly Parton and Marie Osmond LOL

The 70's were way cheesy, narcissistic, and ridiculous.

Edited by: BeverlyBuzzby on Jan 26, 2014 2:20 AM

Well I went with the thrust of the original poster, who did not give explanations or expectations. I noticed many names on that list that were marginal at.best in the 70s,.so I included actresses.left.off.that list that were active during the decade. As for Audrey, her few movies in the 70s were highly anticipated, and released amid a flurry of media coverage. Just because certain actresses better represent another decade does not.mean they were not important.during the 70s.

Edited by: Arturo on Jan 26, 2014 9:58 AM

But Arturo, the thrust of the thread is in identifying the women who DID represent the decade. Hepburn did not. EITHER hepburn didn't, even though they were still working in it.

And even though Beverly doesn't like certain actresses, it also doesn't mean they didn't define the decade either.

I was never a big Audrey Hepburn fan, but if people wish to claim SHE defined the '50's, I'd have to go along with it.

Sepiatone

Well.actresses.tha defined the decade.would be:

Jane Fonda

Faye Dunaway

Barbra.Sreisand

Pam.Grier

Cicely Tyson

Diana Ross

Goldie Hawn

Sissy Spacek

Liza Minnelli

Linda Blair