Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alien...scheduled for saturday...That's right...Alien!

NylonLisa

Modern films have always been part of the TCM schedule. And *Alien* was made in 1979 which makes it not only a classic but a 34 year old classic film to boot.

As Robert O said on debut of TCM on April 14, 1994:

"Hi, welcome to Turner Classic Movies. I'm Robert Osborne, I'm gonna be your host, right here, as we present some of the best, the--finest films ever made, twenty-four hours a day. We're going to be drawing not only from the great film libraries of MGM and Warner Brothers, but also from other outstanding catalogs, so: Come join us, and see not only great films and stars from the past, but also *films from recent years, featuring some of our newest and most watchable stars."*

This is the actual introduction that Robert O gave. It was part of his recent *Private Screenings* interview that aired earlier this month.

Emphasis courtesy of slatyonf who transcribed the quote in an earlier thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=172677&tstart=0

I love this film is because it has one of my all-time favorite casts. Thank goodness, all seven of the actors are still alive as of January 2014! I would love to see them reunited for "Inside the Actors Studio" or something.

Edited by: jakeem on Jan 25, 2014 1:14 AM

>When will this madness end????

Well NylonLisa, seein' as how the latest Alien flick, "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem" STILL made a LITTLE money after it was released in 2007, YOUR guess is as good as MINE as to "when will this madness end?"

(...though somehow I have a feelin' that THAT really wasn't what you meant here by askin' this question!) ;)

Alien is one of my favorite movies.

I don't get this dislike some people have of any film made after a certain time period....especially towards movies that are as old now as many 40s and 50s movies were then.

To me, "classic" is anything that is well-made and has stood the test of time, and Alien (and Aliens) more than qualifies for that definition IMO. Airing classic movies from the 70s and the 80s does not mean TCM is going to turn into FX Has The Crap Movies...

Edited by: WinslowLeach74 on Jan 25, 2014 6:15 AM

Why not "Alien"? A great little space thriller!! Remember the first time you saw it in the theater????

For me, a classic film is a well-made, entertaining film that will stand the

test of time, in whatever year it's made. Enjoy!

"Alien" is a science fiction horror movie classic which belongs on TCM. The film has a prestigious classic movie lineage- " The Thing"(1951) and " Planet of the Vampires" (1965)are clear influences - not too mention " It! The Terror From Beyond Space" (1958)

Well, I HOPE you people around here realize that REGARDLESS the fact "ALIEN" was produced in 1979, BECAUSE Ridley Scott decided to film his movie in vivid color and NOT in Black & White and just like Hawks did "THE THING........from another world"(sorry, I forgot to add that in here) , there is NO WAY some folks will EVER view that movie with that thing poppin' outta John Hurt's chest(and THAT must'a REALLY hurt, btw) as a "REAL honest-to-God" "Classic"!

(...so just remember that, folks!!!) ;)

Yep, pretty much, Holden. I mean, if the ORIGINAL "Alien" isn't just "top flight"(and for ONCE, no pun intended here) entertainment, but also isn't a "Classic" in all senses of the word...then I don't know what IS!!!

(...but then again, and like most of us, there's a whole lot o' stuff I don't know about either) ;)

aliens-vs-predator-chess.jpg

>For some reason that photo makes me think of the chess scene in The Thomas Crown Affair.

Well Fedya, while I don't recall McQueen's head bein' QUITE as elongated as Alien's here, I suppose Predator's flowing locks here MIGHT have just a little of that late '60s women hair vibe goin' on, anyway.

(...and besides, word WAS Faye could sometimes be quite the aggressive monster on set if and when she didn't get her way)

Though I really haven't seen any of the nominated movies this year, somethin's tellin' me that Sandra won't win again. Just a gut feeling, ya understand.

And so, and now that it's been definitely decided that, no, in fact no one CAN hear you scream while in space, has there been any consensus as of yet if another can hear your stomach make those little gurgling sounds it makes about 15 minutes after you've "dined" at Taco Bell in that same sort of environment?

(...and speaking of "gut feelings")