Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I predicted stardom for ....

faceinthecrowd

In 1967 there appeared a made-for-TV movie called "The Star Wagon," starring Orson Bean. Fourth billed was a then-unknown actor who played a yokel assistant to Bean's eccentric inventor. Mr. Unknown was -- well, different. I had never seen anyone quite like him, and I couldn't take my eyes off him when he did his mumbling monologues. I checked the credits at the end to find out his name -- it was Dustin Hoffman. I said, "This guy is going to be a star." (Whatever happened to him, anyway?)

(I should add that I missed the boat on Jack Nicholson. When I saw him in *Easy Rider* I never guessed that he'd become a superstar, and an excellent actor as well.)

Is there anyone for whom you correctly predicted stardom when they were still unknown?

>faceinthecrowd wrote: Is there anyone for whom you correctly predicted stardom when they were still unknown?

It's happened a few times. The one that comes to mind right now was a teen actress named Winona Ryder, whom I first saw in the 1986 movie "Lucas." I had a feeling she was destined for stardom, but I couldn't have predicted how hot her career would get in the 1990s with two Oscar nominations.

Then again, you never can tell. I remember watching "The Bill Engvall Show" on TBS five years ago and admiring the actress who played his teen daughter. There's no way I could have predicted she would receive an Academy Award and two other Oscar nominations by the age of 23!

http://img.poptower.com/pic-11498/the-bill-engvall-show.jpg?d=1024

Edited by: jakeem on Jan 24, 2014 8:30 PM

Tom Selleck.

I was watching an episode of THE ROCKFORD FILES in which he guested and I said to the ex "This guy is going to be a star."

"What makes you so sure?"

"He's stealing scenes from James Garner and Garner's the best leading man that TV has ever had."

Have you ever seen THE MOVIE MURDERER? The stars were Warren Oates and Arthur Kennedy. Here, Tom Selleck was so young that he didn't have his mustache yet. He was good, but I didn't guess he'd become a star.

It's a good movie, but if you're tempted to buy it, beware of bootlegs. If a legitimate DVD ever appears, I'll grab it.

>Have you ever seen THE MOVIE MURDERER? The stars were Warren Oates and Arthur Kennedy. Here, Tom Selleck was so young that he didn't have his mustache yet. He was good, but I didn't guess he'd become a star.

I saw it way back in 1971 on WOR-TV, NYC. Aren't Russell Johnson and Jeff Corey also in there? I remember that I watched it for the vets who were in it and if I noticed Selleck at all, I might have connected him to MYRA BRECKINRIDGE.

But he hadn't found himself yet, and the lip hair really helped.

>Just think about much bigger a MOVIE star Selleck might have become if his "Magnum P.I." contract hadn't kept him from starring in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", clore.

Well, it's not as if they'll be holding any benefits for Selleck. I wonder though if he would have held the big screen as a character other than Indy. His biggest success was in THREE MEN AND A BABY which also had Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg, and it's not as if either of them is pulling folks into seats these days.

Danson at least has had several TV shows, for a guy who had a few hits in the 80s, Guttenberg is MIA. But most of his theatrical successes were ensemble pieces and if he's had success on TV, I'm unaware as I spend too much time these days watching some channel that shows movies all day.

I'd say your assessments here are probably fairly accurate clore, however because Selleck would've seemed to be fairly well cast as Indy also, and with the idea that the film most likely would've been as big a hit as it would become if he had gotten the role instead, and because Ford's movie career skyrocketed after "Raiders" became the big hit that it would become, then Selleck's movie career MIGHT have become close to being as successful as Ford's.

(...though debatable to be sure, depending upon how one feels about each of those actors)

I remember when I saw the movie, "Magic" when it came out and even 'tho it gave me the creeps I sensed the actor (who I'd never seen before) had something special..that would be Anthony Hopkins. Same thing with Gary oldman in some little known movie I can't remember and Russell Crowe in L A confidential..never heard of him before but sensed big things. I always joke I should've been in casting but I have no interest in that..I just can sense that IT factor. Oh and Joachim Phoenix in parenthood..he was just a little kid with a raspy voice..it was only years later that I realized it was him.

I predicted stardom for *Ralph Fiennes*. I saw him play Cobweb, one of the smallest roles in A Midsummer Night's Dream. in Regents Park in London in 1985 and thought he was magnetic in that small role. The following year he played Romeo in that open-air venue, and that confirmed my feeling.

I worked with him once (in 2000) and told him about how I felt when I first saw him. He said, "A friend of mine told me I was the definitive Cobweb!"

Chris Cooper and David Strathairn the first time I saw them in John Sayles wonderful *Matewan* (1987), I knew they were destined for more. They've both become terrific character actors with Cooper winning the Academy Award for *Adaptation* and Strathairn nominated for *Good Night and Good Luck*.

First time I saw George Clooney on Roseanne's old show I knew he was destined for stardom. He just had that look.

David McCallum in "The Great Escape" 1963. Even with McQueen, Garner, Bronson, Coburn, Attenborough and Pleasance. David's character made an impression with a smaller amount of screen time and a shocking death scene. A couple of years later he was hugely popular as Illya in "The Man From Uncle" TV series.

Hopkins made movies long before MAGIC. But MY first known exposure to him was the made-for-TV movie QB VII. in the '70's.

Back in '73, I'd come home from work and my wife( who would become the ex) would be watching a soap called "One Life To Live". In it were two actors who I thought were much better than to be stuck doing that. One was TOMMY LEE JONES, who played a doctor who was cheating on his wife( of course), and TOM BERENGER, who played Jone's brother-in-law.

My first notice of JACK NICHOLSON was in a cheap-o biker movie called "Hell's Angels On Wheels". Thought he was kind of cool, and thought he should make more movies. Didn't know at the time he HAD made earlier movies ( "Ensign Pulver", "Little Shop of Horrors").

There were others I thought WOULD be "great stars" that never happened. One being MATTHEW MODINE.

Sepiatone

I barely remember George Clooney from "Roseanne"; I think he had long hair, and not being a fan of men with long hair, I paid little attention to him. But when he showed up on "Sisters" as a cop named Falconer (with shorter hair), I knew immediately that with his acting ability and good looks, he was going to go far. The same thing with Denzel Washington......but this time I took one look, and said to myself, that man is going to be a superstar!

Yep, as the present joke might go...THAT'S why he's always been into the YOUNG ladies especially!

(...hey, don't blame ME for this one...I'm only goin' by what Fey and Poehler said in their opening Golden Globes routine this year!!!)

I also remember the first time I saw Kevin spacey in a movie (before he became big) where he played a creepy guy but again I was impressed enough to remember him and the scene.. I had to just now look up the movie (consenting adults)..I still don't remember the movie plot or anything else but him. I also remember seeing Meg Ryan in a movie where she was picking off popcorn or something off Dennis Quade and she stuck in my mind as having the IT thing...again the movies I forget except for that certain actor in a certain scene..and I never recall seeing them before.

George Clooney did get started on TV on "facts of life" and so did Debra winger and Sandra Bullock..I think they were super heroes?!

My late dad was a great one for predicting stars. He saw Mel Gibson in Galipoli and said that he definitely had star potential. Later, though, after all Gibson's escapades and running off at the mouth, my dad disliked him intensely.

Dad spotted Geena Davis in a TV series called Buffalo Bill and said she was headed for bigger and better things. He was right, of course, since she went on to Thelma and Louise, a League of Their Own, and other fine films. However, like many older actresses, she hasn't been able to find many good parts as of late.

He was also a big fan of British TV and spotted a lovely young woman on a show called "Darling Buds of May." He couldn't stop raving about how beautiful she was, especially in period (40s and 50s) dresses and hats. The actress -- Catherine Zeta Jones.

In his later years, Dad was pretty disappointed in the current crop of leading men. He felt that except for George Clooney, none of them had real star power. He even said that Brad Pitt would have been the equivalent Troy Donahue or Tab Hunter if he had been in the business 40 to 50 years ago.

Regarding Kevin Spacey: I think most of us first became aware of him in 1988 as "Mel Profit" on *Wiseguy* and I was sure he was going to hit it big but by the mid-90's he hadn't. The came *The Usual Suspects* and all the critics were raving about this "unknown actor" which gave me fits. Those two Oscars were no big surprise.

A few months ago Tom Selleck was on *The Talk* and they found a clip from 40 years ago when, minus lip hair, he was on *The Young and the Restless* and getting noticed. Then came *Coma* where's he's one of the victims and his body is one that the doctor discovers being chased through the cadaver room. An episode of Stockard Channing's comedy series is where he finally got me. I've never liked *Raiders* that much but did *Magumn* and *Blue Bloods* is one of the few network shows I watch. He's done okay.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings