Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are your biggest vintage crushes?

My earliest crush was Carol Scaldaferi, one of the best-known regulars on "American Bandstand". She died recently.

DGF, looking again at pictures on the internet of your first crush Carol right now, I think there's a strong resemblance between her and "Law & Order: SVU" 's Mariska Hargitay.

(...check it out and see if you think so too)

Well if I were going for just one, it would be my dear Errol. That's why I wrote his name in all caps and everyone else much lower than his name. Having crushes on others in no way demeans the crush I have on my #1 fellow. They're all simultaneous (but lesser) crushes.

If I were in some fantasy world where time travel was possible and I went back to the late 30s / early 40s, and I somehow had a date with one of the other men on my list, and then Errol asked me out for a date on the same night, I'd use the classic Brady Bunch excuse "Something suddenly came up" and go out with Errol. Sorry other crushes.

No problem. And then you can tell the other dumped dates:

I'd like ta date ya, but I just washed my hair. Problem solved. lol!

Clark Gable

Errol Flynn

William Powell

Leslie Howard - props to Leslie for being my grandmother's favorite also.

Leslie Howard is my favorite actor.    My crushes would be  Ava Garner,  Merle Oberon,  and Martha Vickers.

• Like 1

Leslie Howard is my favorite actor.    My crushes would be  Ava Garner,  Merle Oberon,  and Martha Vickers.

He is the greatest. I'll never forget the day a long time ago when I first saw the Petrified Forest and the Scarlet Pimpernel with Merle both on one day.

He broke my heart in the first one, and had me laughing out loud with the fop stuff in the second one. And how great he slips in and out of the fop act and the true Percy.

Let me stop before I go into: "They seek him here, they…" He was just so funny with that. It was just too much. The face, the dialogue, the voice, and that snooty laugh. Perfect!

These are my "crushes":

Cary Grant

Cary+Grant.jpg

Errol Flynn

ErrolFlynnThePencil-Mo_zps8cd8856f.jpg

Gene Kelly

Full-Sized-for-Website.jpg

These are people I would actually marry if I met them today and they were my age:

Jack Lemmon

MV5BMTE5NTE3ODE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTU1

Danny Kaye

1316_126693396665.jpg

James Garner

MV5BMTM1Nzk2NTA3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzEz

...and, lately, been developing a crush on Dennis Morgan (once I found out that was his real singing voice in CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT and he stayed faithful to one wife!! GASP!!!)

5fe27dcdb41fd173b255c9cd97903f16.jpg

Well, that's who comes to mind just now, anyway

Edited by LonesomePolecat
  • Like 1

He is the greatest. I'll never forget the day a long time ago when I first saw the Petrified Forest and the Scarlet Pimpernel with Merle both on one day.

He broke my heart in the first one, and had me laughing out loud with the fop stuff in the second one. And how great he slips in and out of the fop act and the true Percy.

Let me stop before I go into: "They seek him here, they…" He was just so funny with that. It was just too much. The face, the dialogue, the voice, and that snooty laugh. Perfect!

Check out my avatar quote;  "There is noting as bad as something not so bad".

This is from the Scarlet Pimpernel when Percy is with the Prince of Wales and his tailor and the tailor says the new cuffs he has designed are 'not so bad'.     I just love that line and I use it when someone tells me something is 'not so bad'.   

As for The Petrified Forest;  That is my favorite movie.   Bette Davis is my favorite actress and Bogart is #2.   So of course a movie with all 3 is at the top of my list.    I just love the dialog in that movie and of course the acting is first rate,  with Bette at her 'cute' stage.   

Check out my avatar quote;  "There is noting as bad as something not so bad".

This is from the Scarlet Pimpernel when Percy is with the Prince of Wales and his tailor and the tailor says the new cuffs he has designed are 'not so bad'.     I just love that line and I use it when someone tells me something is 'not so bad'.   

As for The Petrified Forest;  That is my favorite movie.   Bette Davis is my favorite actress and Bogart is #2.   So of course a movie with all 3 is at the top of my list.    I just love the dialog in that movie and of course the acting is first rate,  with Bette at her 'cute' stage.   

Too great. I hadn't noticed your avatar quote.

Very short and concise, but I could listen to him dole out a few "Sink me's!" on a loop. Hilarious!

What I loved, among many things, is his genius physical characterization, and even with the props. He was awesome with the cane, any hand and arm mannerisms, the way he would stand in full fop mode and walk, and the pauses...

But my favorite is what he could do with that monocle/eye piece. Analyzing Marguerite's portrait, talking to Chauvelin, poking him, or gesturing with it to make a point or emote his whole carefree, fop persona.

He was just brilliant.

DGF, looking again at pictures on the internet of your first crush Carol right now, I think there's a strong resemblance between her and "Law & Order: SVU" 's Mariska Hargitay.

You're making me work. Post the photos side by side. :)

When I was a kid: Ann Sheridan and Paulette Goddard.

Today: Ann Sheridan and Paulette Goddard.

Whatever else can be said about me, I'm faithful (I just can't decide between those two).

• Like 1

You're making me work. Post the photos side by side. :)

GEEESH! And my wife calls ME "lazy"!!!!

LOL

Okay, here ya go, "Mr. Industrious"!

Carol Scaldeferri

20131211_spada_obit_1024.jpg

Mariska Hargitay

Mariska%2BHargitay%2BHair%2BRQdj-gnphC0l

I've already answered this thread; but I feel like my choices would be better illustrated with pictures, so here goes:

5.jpg

ERROL FLYNN-- Hubba Hubba! This picture might be my Windows Desktop wallpaper ;-)

americanparis.jpg

Gene Kelly-- can't get enough of this dance number in An American in Paris

william-holden-kim-novak-picnic-111.jpg

William Holden

• Like 1

Thanks for all the "visual aids."  I have to admit that Errol was my big crush, from the first time I saw him in The Adventures of Robin Hood on TV at age 10.  Now, I know what a scoundrel and even tragic figure he was, and that his life was in some ways morally reprehensible.  However, I saw Dodge City last week on my new big screen TV, and in those close-ups, I was willing to believe he could do no wrong, and quite frankly, I could forgive a face and body like that practically anything, shame on my old feminist heart!  He probably was the most gorgeous man of the first half of the 20th century.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the "visual aids."  I have to admit that Errol was my big crush, from the first time I saw him in The Adventures of Robin Hood on TV at age 10.  Now, I know what a scoundrel and even tragic figure he was, and that his life was in some ways morally reprehensible.  However, I saw Dodge City last week on my new big screen TV, and in those close-ups, I was willing to believe he could do no wrong, and quite frankly, I could forgive a face and body like that practically anything, shame on my old feminist heart!  He probably was the most gorgeous man of the first half of the 20th century.

I don't care what Errol did or might have done. He can do no wrong. A flash of that smile and all is forgiven with me!

• 2 weeks later...

So many men from bygone eras strike my fancy, I was definitely born at the wrong time. 

Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Eddie Cantor, Patrick Troughton, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Peter Sellers, Phil Silvers, Basil Rathbone, William Campbell, Peter Falk, Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly, Vincent Price.

And even on the ladies side, Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich are quite sexy when they wear masculine clothes.  Also, Ingrid Pitt was beyond gorgeous in The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula

So many men from bygone eras strike my fancy, I was definitely born at the wrong time. 

Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Eddie Cantor, Patrick Troughton, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Peter Sellers, Phil Silvers, Basil Rathbone, William Campbell, Peter Falk, Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly, Vincent Price.

And even on the ladies side, Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich are quite sexy when they wear masculine clothes. 

I wouldn't mind if someone told me who Patrick Troughton was.

James Cagney, Steve McQueen, Bing Crosby, John Wayne, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Ian Hunter, Richard Greene, Patrick Knowles, Tyrone Power, Basil Rathbone and James Garner! All these men had Magnetism, Charm, they were Macho, Sexy and Good-Looking! In my eyes anyway!

When I was tweleve years old I saw Kim Novack in "Boys' Night Out" in 1962. I think it was a second feature because otherwise my buddy and I wouldn't have seen that type of movie. Anyway, I was infatuated with Ms. Novack and thought that she was the epitome of womanhood (at that age, that meant blonde hair, throaty voice and ample breasts). Went to see it two more times on my own and caught up with every one of her movies I had missed on the tube. "Picnic" made my hormones rage.

For the next three years Kim haunted my fantasies but I had taken my first date to see "The Adventures of Moll Flanders" in 1965 and when we held hands in the theater, Kim lost some of her charms.

Decades later I enjoyed her appearance on TCM no end, but I still envision her (and myself) as we were in '62.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I remember the very first time I saw him. He was the most handsome man I'd laid eyes on. He had such a strong presence on the screen that just by him walking over to his mark made my heart potter-patter. He fit the bill of tall, dark & handsome perfectly and his voice made me melt. I still feel flustered the way I did but now as a young woman I can appreciate a male actor who not only stirs the heart but has character in real life. I realise my description could be for any particular man so I might as well make his presence known: Mr. Sidney Poitier was my first Big Vintage Crush. My other vintage crushes: Harry Belafonte, Louis Jordan, Tyrone Power, Jimmy Stewart in the 1930s, Frank Sinatra, Paul Newman, Ricardo Montalban. I should have mentioned this before but I need to point out that when I first saw Sidney Poitier in all his handsomeness it was between 1993-1996 when I was a little girl and TCM was in infancy stages back then.

• Like 1

I remember the very first time I saw him. He was the most handsome man I'd laid eyes on. He had such a strong presence on the screen that just by him walking over to his mark made my heart potter-patter. He fit the bill of tall, dark & handsome perfectly and his voice made me melt. I still feel flustered the way I did but now as a young woman I can appreciate a male actor who not only stirs the heart but has character in real life. I realise my description could be for any particular man so I might as well make his presence known: Mr. Sidney Poitier was my first Big Vintage Crush. My other vintage crushes: Harry Belafonte, Louis Jordan, Tyrone Power, Jimmy Stewart in the 1930s, Frank Sinatra, Paul Newman, Charles Heston. I should have mentioned this before but I need to point out that when I first saw Sidney Poitier in all his handsomeness it was between 1993-1996 when I was a little girl and TCM was in infancy stages back then.

Nice post!

Welcome to the TCM message board community!

• Like 1