Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are your biggest vintage crushes?

WinslowLeach74

Ha! Y'all thought I was gonna say, "June Allyson".. She's got 49% of my heart.. but Ginger Rogers has the controlling 51% - from the top of her head right on down to the tips of those magnificently talented dancin' feet.... Wow!

:P

Thank you very much for liking my post & welcoming me!

Certainly. I love your screen name. We've had plenty of discussions about Sidney on the boards, and I am sure there will be more-- especially if you continue to hang around. :)

Certainly. I love your screen name. We've had plenty of discussions about Sidney on the boards, and I am sure there will be more-- especially if you continue to hang around. :)

Oh really? I'll have to check that out. Yes I will continue to make my way around the boards and pop in and put my two cents in. :)

I've always been an Eye guy - it's the eyes that get me first, and get me every time.  My first movie star crush was Shirley MacLaine, from when I was in my single digits.  Her eyes always looked to me like she had just stopped crying.  Or was just about to start.  She just about broke my heart because she always seemed broken-hearted. And the film that carried me away was "What a Way to Go", shown quite often decades ago on the local stations.

I still love Shirley's eyes, but I've also found other eyes to adore into my adulthood.  Number 2 is Ginger Rogers - even in black-and-white, she has the most amazing blue peepers.

Number one - Myrna Loy.  Are her eyes half-open, or half-shut?  She does so much with those half-mast eyes - disdain, amusement, adoration, spite, incredulous-ness.  What she does to me is just about make me melt.

Honorable mention - Joan Blondell - the very definition and illustration of Saucer Eyes.

What is vintage is kind like what is classic.    My wife's 26 year old cousin from Italy is staying with us this week she is looking to get work in L.A. in the fashion \ style industry.    She mention that she loved vintage.   My wife asked me what vintage was.   Well I told her I didn't really know if there was some generally accepted definition of vintage but that I assumed each person has their own view.    She asked her cousin and she said anything from 1920 - 1980.    If cloths from the 80s are vintage than I have a few vintage shirts!

Hedy Lamarr

Mae Clarke

Myrna Loy

early Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell

Gene Tierney

Linda Darnell

Ava Gardner

I also think Bride of Frankenstein era Elsa Lanchester was cute!

Moving up a bit in time, but still vintage, I would add:

Claudia Cardinale

Raquel Welch

Martine Beswick

Suzanne Pleshette

Barbara Steele

Hedy Lamarr

Mae Clarke

Myrna Loy

early Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell

Gene Tierney

Linda Darnell

Ava Gardner

I also think Bride of Frankenstein era Elsa Lanchester was cute!

Moving up a bit in time, but still vintage, I would add:

Claudia Cardinale

Raquel Welch

Martine Beswick

Suzanne Pleshette

Barbara Steele

Wow we have very similar tastes.   Very similar.    It is funny you mention Lanchester.    When I mention her to my wife she said I was crazy but I showed her a still photo taken the same year as Bride,  and said 'how can anyone say she isn't cute!'.

I do have to give special mention to Martha Vickers.   Yea, she wasn't a big star and is really only known for her role as Bacall's sister in The Big Sleep but she was really a looker as one can see from a review of her studio still photos.    Hey,  Rooney married her after Ava so that says something.

Rooney's wives:

Yes,  Rooney had many wives and some very good looking ones when he was younger.   That picture with Vickers is interesting.   She was taller than he was so I assume Mickey insisted how they posed for this picture so one can't see that she was taller.

When I was tweleve years old I saw Kim Novack in "Boys' Night Out" in 1962. I think it was a second feature because otherwise my buddy and I wouldn't have seen that type of movie. Anyway, I was infatuated with Ms. Novack and thought that she was the epitome of womanhood (at that age, that meant blonde hair, throaty voice and ample breasts). Went to see it two more times on my own and caught up with every one of her movies I had missed on the tube. "Picnic" made my hormones rage.

For the next three years Kim haunted my fantasies but I had taken my first date to see "The Adventures of Moll Flanders" in 1965 and when we held hands in the theater, Kim lost some of her charms.

Decades later I enjoyed her appearance on TCM no end, but I still envision her (and myself) as we were in '62.

Do you like THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE?

s_virginia_mayo2.jpg

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes.

It's all right, she's out of sight.

Don't lean on me man.....oops.

The lovely and delectable Virginia (hold the) Mayo.

Bet you've spent the..ahem..best years of your life pinin' over her, haven't ya Vautrin.

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

Hey-- Vintage and crushes, hmmm... In the celluloid arena only, there can be one and only for me. The very first 5 films made by Betty Joan Perske, a.k.a. Lauren Bacall. Tall, statuesque, stunning features and skin, the silky smooth gait, sultry eyes and that husky, hormone stimulating voice all combined into a vision that will never be surpassed in my mind's eye. I saw her on Broadway in 1981 starring in "Woman Of The Year", and she still had "it". As Danny DeVito said in the beginning of "The War Of The Roses", a woman who had come a long way " from a girl who used to drink her milk out of glasses with chipped yellow flowers". I am probably influenced by the her association with Bogie, the directing prowess of H.H., and the general time period of the films. Even "The Big Sleep", who Chandler claims to have said he doesn't even know who killed the Strenwood's driver,  though the film is noir at its grittiest, with murder, miscreant characters of all sorts, subtle hints of homosexuality, it has a certain innocence to it I guess. Hard to explain, but in the ending scene  she answers Bogie's question "What's wrong with you?" with "Nothing you can't fix." Makes me a bit misty eyed from time to time.

If we are allowing B&W TV, then my teenage goddess was Diana Rigg. Not many 12 year old males could see her in those skin tight white "hip hugger" jeans and not be mesmerized, don't you think? That began a lifelong fascination of women with auburn/ brunette hair, I think Diana did that to me. To see her today in "Game Of Thrones" is quite an eye opening experience. She was still enchanting as host of "Masterpiece Theater" on PBS however. Anyway, those are my two lifelong favorites.   RJM

It's a tossup between the breathtaking beauty of Loretta Young and je ne sais quoi of Sylvia Sidney, the once and forever proletarian princess of the silver screen, whose real life Republican politics I put in the attic and try to forget.

young.jpg

sylvia-sidney.jpg

So, got a thing for the apple-cheeked lassies then, eh Andy?

(...always thought Loretta was one of the great natural beauties of old Hollywood myself, in fact)

Looking at these two pictures makes me think of Janet Gaynor, another petite cutie.

Oh yeah! And I always loved her "I Will Survive" song TOO, Mr.R! That was one that ALWAYS got me boogiein' out there on the disco dance floor, alright!!!

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

Archived