Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are your biggest vintage crushes?

WinslowLeach74

Oh yeah! And I always loved her "I Will Survive" song TOO, Mr.R! That was one that ALWAYS got me boogiein' out there on the disco dance floor, alright!!!

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

I thought I was the only one in these parts who regularly boogied down to the disco sound.

I thought I was the only one in these parts who regularly boogied down to the disco sound.

Nah. I'm sure I've told ya before that back in the day all the DJ had to do was play The Trammps biggest hit, and there you'd find me doin' my Travolta dance steps with some babe I'd picked out from the crowd.

(...yep, I'm SURE I've mentioned that to ya before, ol' buddy) ;)

Oh yeah! And I always loved her "I Will Survive" song TOO, Mr.R! That was one that ALWAYS got me boogiein' out there on the disco dance floor, alright!!!

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

That, and 6 or so Piña coladas :P

Was that you doin' Robert Hayes' stunt work in Airplane!

That, and 6 or so Piña coladas :P

LOL

Well, actually as I recall, it was usually after 3 or so Rusty Nails.

(...and no, if ya now wonderin', I also never much cared for  "gettin' caught in the rain" either...especially while on my motorcycle) ;)

Was that you doin' Robert Hayes' stunt work in Airplane!

No, BUT coincidentally, you know those "babes" I referenced below, well, many of them DID seem to resemble Julie Hagerty quite a bit as I now recall.

Well, except for that ONE time one of 'em came up to me and who kind'a looked like Grizzly Adams' DAN Haggerty in drag, minus the beard of course, asked me to dance, I said okay, and SHE threw ME over HER shoulder and all across the dance floor with the greatest of ease and ability anyway.

(...ya know, I remember thinkin' at the time how nice it was to not have to lead for once!) 

LOL

Well, actually as I recall, it was usually after 3 or so Rusty Nails.

(...and no, if ya now wonderin', I also never much cared for  "gettin' caught in the rain" either...especially while on my motorcycle) ;)

Well at the time, (mumblemumble) years ago, I might have gone with the ol'  Clavo Ahumado (ahh yesss.. the old clAvoww ahmooNAdoww) subbing mezcal for Scotch.

You haven't lived until you're an Orioles fan stuck right in front of a group of Pittsburgh Pirates' wives singing "We Are Fam-i-LEE" over and over in the upper deck of Memorial Stadium, while your beloved O's are blowing a 3 games to 1 World Series lead to the husbands of those would-be Sisters Sledge. 

And did I mention it was raining the entire time, and that the upper deck wasn't covered?  I shudda stood in bed watching Shelley Winters movies---even that would've been less of a torture. :angry:

Pamela Tiffin, Doris Day (yup), Stephanie Powers, Brenda Joyce, Sandra Dee, Joan Leslie, Gene Tierney, Marilyn Monroe, Susan Kohner, Carol Baker (in Babydoll) ..., and probably a lot more. I don't know how vintage they are but they are all mine at one time. I'm over them now, though :-) .

Ty Power and Burt Lancaster are both so handsome, you just have to stare at them in disbelief. And yes, I love 'em both.

The ultimate "vintage crush" for me has to be Robert Mitchum. Although he's tall, dark, and handsome, that's not why I enjoy watching him so much. Ok, of course it's part of it. But like all "crushes", there's more to it than that. It's the way Mitch exudes cool, it's his whole demeanour. And I love those "sleepy" eyes !

I find Richard Widmark very attracative - not in all his films, just some. I know he's kind of odd-looking, certainly not a traditional heart-throb. But there's an energy to him,  (and no, "Kiss of Death" is NOT one of his films where I find him attractive), an intensity or something that feels sexy to me. Especially "Pick Up on South Street".

I'm pretty sure I've answered this one before... but for the sake of answering it again, here goes:

ERROL FLYNN.  Duh.

William Holden, Montgomery Clift, James Dean, Cary Grant, Burt Lancaster, Paul Newman, Gene Kelly.

For whatever reason, I always think young Jack Lemmon is kind of cute.  Not hot, but cute.  I also think young Fred MacMurray is cute, but as he got older, he got more average looking. 

Ty Power and Burt Lancaster are both so handsome, you just have to stare at them in disbelief. And yes, I love 'em both.

The ultimate "vintage crush" for me has to be Robert Mitchum. Although he's tall, dark, and handsome, that's not why I enjoy watching him so much. Ok, of course it's part of it. But like all "crushes", there's more to it than that. It's the way Mitch exudes cool, it's his whole demeanour. And I love those "sleepy" eyes !

I find Richard Widmark very attracative - not in all his films, just some. I know he's kind of odd-looking, certainly not a traditional heart-throb. But there's an energy to him,  (and no, "Kiss of Death" is NOT one of his films where I find him attractive), an intensity or something that feels sexy to me. Especially "Pick Up on South Street".

That's so interesting because I was thinking the same about Richard Widmark and agree missW about Pick-Up on South Street. (don't squirm) Dan Duryea. I mention Dan because I found him so intense in the film THE BURGLAR. He was smart and sympathetic and kind in the film. It was a different and interesting side to his acting and I found him appealing.

That's so interesting because I was thinking the same about Richard Widmark and agree missW about Pick-Up on South Street. (don't squirm) Dan Duryea. I mention Dan because I found him so intense in the film THE BURGLAR. He was smart and sympathetic and kind in the film. It was a different and interesting side to his acting and I found him appealing.

No squirming from me, I totally get the attractiveness of Dan Duryea. I don't even limit it to "The Burglar", a very good film and something a little different for Dan, as you say.

But I find him kind of appealing in a lot of his roles. Which are, let's face it, mainly  bad guy ones. But I always get the feeling that Dan would never seriously hurt anybody, he's more talk than he is action.

Oh, how could I forget? Speaking of actors who usually played "bad guys", Robert Ryan. Even when his character is being really bad, there's something in his eyes that makes me like him. Like he's being a total villain, but he's sad, or something. And I think he has a great face !

This is weird, but when I started watching old movies -- when I was 12 or 13, I loved Humphrey Bogart. I grew up over the years loving most of his movies and him as an actor. When I was young I would have considered it crush worthy. I wouldn't consider it a crush now, especially since as I got older I've noticed some acting problems he had, but I still love his movies to this day. 

Cary Grant was another I developed a crush on early on. In his case though I don't think it ever went away  ;). I love everything about him. He was good at being many things at once; serious, funny, romantic, a jerk. Also he had that amazingly strange accent. I love everything from his early movies to his last ones. Plus, he was an attractive guy and just always seemed charming in my opinion. 

Jack Lemmon I always thought he was cute in his younger days and a good actor. 

Okay, okay...my ultimate crush was and is James Cagney. He's another one I've liked since I started watching. Which, I realize is a little strange. He's not necessarily the most attractive man, but he played the 'bad boy whose not really THAT bad' very well. He's another one I always thought could be funny, romantic, badass all at once.  

Clark Gable BUT let me clarify...I'm not as into Gable as I am into Peter from It Happened One Night. 

Jimmy Stewart in Shop Around the Corner -- SWOOOON!!

Gregory Peck, Tyrone Power, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood

Woman crushes:

#1 will always be Lauren Bacall. Then there's Vivian Leigh, Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Veronica Lake, Julie Andrews. 

I've mentioned this before, but one of Hollywood's nice little ironies is that three of the more stable marriages it ever produced were those of Robert Ryan (one wife, 33 years until her death), Richard Widmark (1st wife, 35 years until her death; 2nd wife 9 years, until his death) and Dan Duryea (one wife, 35 years, until her death), three of the more memorable borderline psychos of the silver screen.  So if any of you ladies ever get a time machine and can figure out a way to snatch any of them first, you probably won't have to worry about them running out on you. B)

This is weird, but when I started watching old movies -- when I was 12 or 13, I loved Humphrey Bogart. I grew up over the years loving most of his movies and him as an actor. When I was young I would have considered it crush worthy. I wouldn't consider it a crush now, especially since as I got older I've noticed some acting problems he had, but I still love his movies to this day. 

Cary Grant was another I developed a crush on early on. In his case though I don't think it ever went away  ;). I love everything about him. He was good at being many things at once; serious, funny, romantic, a jerk. Also he had that amazingly strange accent. I love everything from his early movies to his last ones. Plus, he was an attractive guy and just always seemed charming in my opinion. 

Jack Lemmon I always thought he was cute in his younger days and a good actor. 

Okay, okay...my ultimate crush was and is James Cagney. He's another one I've liked since I started watching. Which, I realize is a little strange. He's not necessarily the most attractive man, but he played the 'bad boy whose not really THAT bad' very well. He's another one I always thought could be funny, romantic, badass all at once.  

Clark Gable BUT let me clarify...I'm not as into Gable as I am into Peter from It Happened One Night. 

Jimmy Stewart in Shop Around the Corner -- SWOOOON!!

Gregory Peck, Tyrone Power, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood

Woman crushes:

#1 will always be Lauren Bacall. Then there's Vivian Leigh, Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Veronica Lake, Julie Andrews. 

For whatever reason, I found Bogart attractive in his younger movies--especially Casablanca, maybe it's the white dinner jacket.  By the 1950s though, he definitely had the hound-dog look going, and he just looked old and tired.

Cary Grant I think got better looking as he got a little more "distinguished" looking. 

Unless I missed it, no one has claimed a crush on Tor Johnson yet.

Well Holden, that might be because Tor as always very good at putting the crush on others.

(...in this case, literally NOT figuratively speaking, of course) 

;)

Realized in my last post of crushes that I forgot to mention Bill Holden and Rod Taylor.

I've always loved Bill Holden. Besides being so handsome, always sense that underlying great sense of humor of his. That's why I think he was so perfectly cast in Sunset Blvd. He made that character work. Any other actor would not have lightened up what was really a very dark film. I love Sunset Blvd and so glad that Holden played that part.

I watched Love Is A Many Splendored Thing for the upteenth time. He is so appealing in that film, among so many of his really wonderful performances. Bill Holden, definitely a crush of mine.

When I was a teen, there was a tv show Hong Kong. Rod was so gorgeous, fell in love with him because of that tv show. So adding those 2 to my classic film crushes.

Realized in my last post of crushes that I forgot to mention Bill Holden and Rod Taylor.

I've always loved Bill Holden. Besides being so handsome, always sense that underlying great sense of humor of his. That's why I think he was so perfectly cast in Sunset Blvd. He made that character work. Any other actor would not have lightened up what was really a very dark film. I love Sunset Blvd and so glad that Holden played that part.

I watched Love Is A Many Splendored Thing for the upteenth time. He is so appealing in that film, among so many of his really wonderful performances. Bill Holden, definitely a crush of mine.

When I was a teen, there was a tv show Hong Kong. Rod was so gorgeous, fell in love with him because of that tv show. So adding those 2 to my classic film crushes.

You must have fainted into somebody's arms when you saw Picnic for the first time.

;)

Archived