Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eddie Muller inks new contract as TCM host

clore

At the Saturday night screening of "Noir City" in San Francisco, Eddie Muller revealed that he will be joining Turner Classic Movies as an on-air host. Muller appeared on TCM last January to present a four-film "Night in Noir City," which was so successful that he was invited back in June to host TCM's "Friday Night Spotlight" showcasing 16 films by such noir writers as Dashiell Hammett and James M. Cain.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/turner-classic-movies-adds-film-noir-programmer-eddie-muller-as-on-air-host-exclusive

That's great new, clore. I think that Eddie Muller has been one of the outstanding guest hosts appearing on TCM.

Of course, it's still vague as to how often he will actually be on the channel, but I see on that link you provided it does refer to a three year contract.

If memory serves me correctly, when Eddie was kind enough to communicate with this message board last summer, I believe he made reference to a restoration of Too Late for Tears being in the works. I hope this means that TCM viewers may have a chance to see a new version of one of my favourite noirs, with the performance of Lizabeth Scott's career, in my opinion, as well as a great turn by "Slimy" Dan Duryea.

Yes, TOO LATE FOR TEARS is in the works. I was hoping that Muller and company could manage a DVD-rights scheme out of it all, but this is even better - if TCM can air it.

Yes, I enjoyed Mr. Muller's down-to-Earth comments here last Spring.

This is great news. Eddie Muller did a fine job as guest host for the salute to noir writers, and this probably means more noirs on TCM.

Mr. Muller has been friendly and approachable at the film festivals, and he fits very well with the extended TCM family.

If I were Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz, I'd be somewhat concerned about what this means. Presumably, TCM will have Eddie Muller hosting films during a timeslot currently unoccupied by the current hosts (i.e. Muller might get to host the Friday Night Spotlight time period or the TCM Undergound feature).

(...I think i'm just gonna copy and paste my response I've just posted in SueSueApplegate's thread over in the "Hot Topics" forum which is about this same subject...)

EXCELLENT!!!

He's not only very knowledgeable about the subject, but I also found him to be a very good presenter of the information he imparts.

(...saaaaay...maybe HE could teach some of the OTHER TCM guest presenters on the finer points of the job, EH?!...it's called "INFLECTION", PEOPLE!!!)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jan 27, 2014 11:46 AM

>If I were Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz, I'd be somewhat concern about what this means.

The good news for them is that it lightens their taping schedule a bit. Both Robert O and Ben M keep fairly busy in addition to their on-air TCM duties

Ben M is a new father and Robert O has plenty to keep him busy with his other TCM duties and his writing so they might appreciate having Eddie on board to help shoulder the work.

Robert O is the face of TCM and probably has the job for as long as he wants it and TCM has been very vocal about how happy and appreciative of Ben M they are, so I don't think either has to worry about being dropped any time soon.

>There's infection among TCM guest presenters? I hope for Eddie's sake that he stays away until it's all cleared up!

(face-palm)

LOL

Looks as if I must've somehow subconsciously thought that "L" in the word "inflection" was one of those "superfluous letters" like that "U" you guys up there use a whole lot, EH Tom?! ;)

LOL

(...thanks, I'll go change that right now)

this is great news!

Muller's comments enlighten the noir genre. perhaps his insights will be expanded to closely related fare, such as detective and melodrama pics. in addition, his comments would be appreciated on the films of the neo-noir movement. for example: Chinatown (1974) and Body Heat (1981).

looking forward to whatever his new role will be.

That's my opinion too. I'll be very glad to see him as host, even more so, if that means more noirs - my favorite genre.

If I were running for president on the TCM ticket, my campaign slogan would be

*"LESS SINGING, MORE KILLING".*

Too wholesome.

Well, originally I'd thought about using Mark Twain's famous dictum,

*"First, let's kill all the choreographers",*

but that would've been going a bit too far, and I wouldn't want to lose the soft shoe vote.

Andy, if you can ever bring yourself to watch an MGM musical, Words and Music, you might be pleased with what happens to Gene Kelly and Vera Ellen when they dance to "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue."

Is that the one where they used Bing Crosby and Mickey Rooney as human shields, only to have their bluff called? If that's the one, I'm sure I enjoyed it. ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings