Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Astaire movie?

ClassicGeek

I've only watched around 12 Astaire films total, but My favorite is a tie for

Carefree

or

Swing Time

For some odd reason I didn't watch any of the Fred Astaire movies during December (for some odd reason, I don't know why, but I only watched the Fred&Ginger one's on Christmas) and now I really wish that TCM would have another Fred Astaire Month! Possibly May? That would be a great birthday gift!

What are YOUR favorite Astaire films?

"Easter Parade". It's the only movie of any kind which I watch every year without fail. Fred and Judy are wonderful together, as is Ann Miller, not to mention some standout character actors. I love Fred and Ginger, but I have to say I'm partial to his late-career stuff like "Daddy Long Legs" and "Funny Face". Fred looked as at home (and as hip) in CinemaScope and stereo as he did in the old black and white days, bless him.

I love "Easter Parade," "You Were Never Lovelier," "Funny Face," and "Three Little Words." I may be a weirdo; but I much prefer Astaire without Ginger Rogers. I've never been big on the Astaire/Rogers combo; but I enjoy Fred in his other films either by himself or with other partners other than Rogers. His later work, the 1950s musicals especially, are really fun. I love how he was more creative with his dancing and expanded beyond the typical tap and ballroom type stuff he was doing in the 30s.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love "Easter Parade," "You Were Never Lovelier," "Funny Face," and "Three Little Words." I may be a weirdo; but I much prefer Astaire without Ginger Rogers. I've never been big on the Astaire/Rogers combo; but I enjoy Fred in his other films either by himself or with other partners other than Rogers. His later work, the 1950s musicals especially, are really fun. I love how he was more creative with his dancing and expanded beyond the typical tap and ballroom type stuff he was doing in the 30s.

The Astaire-Rogers plots were very hackneyed. I prefer YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER, THE BANDWAGON, and FUNNY FACE."Dearly Beloved" from the first film, may have been the best song he ever sang in a film.

Finance,

I agree with you completely.  I really enjoyed Fred Astaire's films with Rita Hayworth-- "You'll Never Get Rich" and "You Were Never Lovelier." When he broke free of the films with Ginger Rogers, he was really able to expand his creativity and have more complicated choreography.  He was also able to be paired up with women (or in one case, Gene Kelly), who were much better dancers than Rogers. Vera-Ellen, Cyd Charisse and Rita Hayworth were professional dancers.  I would never dream of comparing him with Gene Kelly, as they both have completely different styles; but after not having to do ballroom dancing in every film he made, he was really doing more Kelly-esque routines, while keeping his more elegant, less aggressive style intact. 

Another reason I may enjoy Astaire in films without Rogers is that I am not really a fan of hers.  I don't know what it is about her; but there's something about her that is just blah.  I can't really describe what it is that I don't enjoy about her performances.

I can say the same for Rogers.  I prefer her without him.  I find them both sort of "blah" in their films together.  The dancing was the only good thing about it; and you know what they say, Rogers does everything Astaire does, except backwards and in heels!

Finance,

I agree with you completely.  I really enjoyed Fred Astaire's films with Rita Hayworth-- "You'll Never Get Rich" and "You Were Never Lovelier." When he broke free of the films with Ginger Rogers, he was really able to expand his creativity and have more complicated choreography.  He was also able to be paired up with women (or in one case, Gene Kelly), who were much better dancers than Rogers. Vera-Ellen, Cyd Charisse and Rita Hayworth were professional dancers.  I would never dream of comparing him with Gene Kelly, as they both have completely different styles; but after not having to do ballroom dancing in every film he made, he was really doing more Kelly-esque routines, while keeping his more elegant, less aggressive style intact. 

Another reason I may enjoy Astaire in films without Rogers is that I am not really a fan of hers.  I don't know what it is about her; but there's something about her that is just blah.  I can't really describe what it is that I don't enjoy about her performances.

But saying that Hayworth was a better dancer than Rogers is going a bit too far.

• 2 months later...

"The Bandwagon". Hands down.  I absolutely adore this film.  Damn near perfect.  Astaire was never better. In my opinion.

I believe Robert Osborne has mentioned this as his favorite movie once or twice!

• 5 months later...

1. Top Hat

2. Swing Time

3. Shall We Dance

4. The Gay Divorcee

5. Funny Face

6. Carefree

7. The Band Wagon

8. Daddy Lon Legs

9. The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

10. Easter Parade

I have to say Cora;  I have seen the many list you have created in the last few days (noir, westerns, this one, etc..), and you have great taste (well taste very similar to mine, which I view as great!).   

Archived