Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need information on the movie "The Great Escape"

broy

When the movie "The Great Escape" was aired on TV, it was broken down into two nights. After each nights show, a short film was aired each night. I am looking for the names of these two short films. One of them, I think, was named "Rain" and I do not know what the name of the second one is.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Yes I agree. I was refering to when it first aired in the 60's. I have been searching for these short films for a long time as I was young when this first aired. I have these memorys of them and and wanted to know if anyone had remembered them. As I said, one of them was called "Rain" I think and the other one I can't remember. What I do recall is that it might have been a Monty Python'ish type of stop motion/animated short. I am just trying to settle a long time interest it these shorts. Thanks in advance!

Edited by: broy on Jan 28, 2014 10:34 AM

The decision to show THE GREAT ESCAPE, or any film for that matter, in two-parts would be that of the network or local station that ran it. Any shorts used to fill out the time slot would have been their choice too.

Unless the shorts had to do with the making of that film and were provided by the studio, or somebody recognizes the title, it might be difficult to track them down just based on the fact that they happened to run after a specific film.

Most of the times "fillers" were chosen at the last minute, after the station's film editor knew how much time was left when all the commercials were added in, so it's not likely they'd show up in any TV listings.

I agree with you on all parts, hence the frustration I am having on this quest. They were put in by the network as it was the first showing on TV. If I remember correctly, it was aired again (maybe a year later) with the same two night format and with the same short films attached. I know the request for information may result in very few returns, but I was thinking that I might jog someones memory who might have seen it back then and remembered the names. I have wondered about these titles a long time and maybe some day I will find someone that has the answers.

Thank you for your comments and my quest continues!

You're Welcome. It just might work. I private messaged someone on these bds that is very knowledgeable about shorts and is very helpful. Keep checking back, he seems to not be on the bds, but he does check in. If you can decribe the plots of the shorts to him or whatever you can remember you have a good chance with him knowing them. Good luck :)

Thank you all for your info.! This is a great step forward in my search. I actually work for a CBS affiliate and will try to pursue some avenues through them, just trying to lock down the right sources.

Keep the info coming and if I find out anything I will be sure to post it.

As far as the one I remember "Rain", it was just views of a dry landscape and a storm going through and the life it brought back. The other one is more of a mystery to me as I have flashes of the plot but no substance to help and that is the one that intrigues me the most, maybe because I can't remember it but I know I enjoyed it and would like to enjoy it once more!

Digging through some material I have here, I came up with some more info, although it may not be as useful in getting to the answer to the original question as I would like. But anyway, it may be of some interest.

THE GREAT ESCAPE seems to have been broadcast on CBS twice: first in 1967, and one more time (not sure when).

The National Ratings for the first time was 31.2. For the second time they were 21.7.

The movie was first shown in syndication in Feb. 1974.

Interesting (if not helpful) I hope!

Okay, further digging and I found the date of the movie's first broadcast on "The CBS Thursday Night Movie".

It was:

September 14, 1967 (Thursday).

Part 2 of course, was shown the next evening, Sept. 15 (Friday).

I have a collection of old TV Guides and so I checked to see if I may have the issue for that week, and...guess what!! - I have the week before(!) but not the week of Sept.9-15 which would include the GREAT ESCAPE listing.

But at least now we know the date of the movie's CBS-TV premiere.

That's great info! I do remenber that it was shown a second time about 9 months to a year later and as I recall the same short films were shown. I remember watching both showings. I think that's why it sticks in my memory so much.

I think we will get to the bottom of this. Thank you all so much for all the research!

I also have some 3/4" copies of Felix The Cat that were transfered from film a long time ago. I am thinking of transfering them to a digital format if anyone is interested and I think I have some Little Rascals too. I was working for a local station at the time and they were throwing them out.

Thanks to all your efforts I have found the names of these two short films! They are "The Do-It-Yourself Cartoon Kit" by Bob Godfrey, and the other is named "Rainshower" Still looking for that one. I found a teaser for the other one which you can find at:

The reason I was thinking "Monty Python'ish" was that Bob Godfrey worked with Terry Gilliam to create the famous cartoons for Monty Python.

Thanks to a website in CT I was able to find all this great info. Below is the website info if anyone needs to research things of this sort:

Television Obscurities

Site: http://www.tvobscurities.com

Blog: http://www.tvobscurities.com/blog/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tvobscurities

Hope this info is helpful to someone else.

Edited by: broy on Feb 2, 2014 6:36 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings