Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

salty language

tcook

One of the reasons I have enjoyed watching TCM over the years is because the older classic movies don't have much swearing and graphic sex scenes. Now that they are playing "newer" movies, that is becoming a problem for me. Does anyone else have a problem with this, or am I just an old fashioned prude? (if the answer is that I am, that's ok, I'll choose to remain one)

All I care about is that the language used in a movie is true to the language that would have been used in similar real life situations. You wouldn't have expected to hear Cary Grant cursing in The Philadelphia Story, and you wouldn't expect to hear Joe Pesci in Goodfellas coming out with "gosh darn" or "aw, shucks". I just want the language to be believable.

TCM are the very *few* channels that don't edit their films. Look ahead on the program guide and avoid movies rated TV-MA.

The new movie playing in theatres, "Wolf of Wall Street" the f-word is uttered *506* times, breaking all records. I guess the script writers are getting lazy.

Wolf.jpg

Andym108 wrote

>All I care about is that the language used in a movie is true to the language that would have been used in similar real life situations. You wouldn't have expected to hear Cary Grant cursing in The Philadelphia Story, and you wouldn't expect to hear Joe Pesci in Goodfellas coming out with "gosh darn" or "aw, shucks". I just want the language to be believable

Did you ever read the script for the Broadway play version of _The Philadelphia Story_ ? It actually contains a number of saltier phrases, which were cleaned up in the movie, becasue movies had stricter standards. Reading the original sources, like books or plays for old movies is often eye-opening or at least it was for me.

Yep, I TOO say the we should return to those late and lamented bygone days of yore...when nobody in real life would swear and life in general was idyllic!

LOL

(...THOUGH, "506 times" DOES seem to be "a little" overkill here, doesn't it)

Did you ever read the script for the Broadway play version of The Philadelphia Story ? It actually contains a number of saltier phrases, which were cleaned up in the movie,

Goodness gracious sakes alive, we learn something every day. ;)

The new movie playing in theatres, "Wolf of Wall Street" the f-word is uttered 506 times, breaking all records.

I'd just like to know who goes around counting such things. Is this something a future Jeopardy contestant might be well off knowing?

hamradio wrote:

The new movie playing in theatres, "Wolf of Wall Street" the f-word is uttered 506 times, breaking all records. *I guess the script writers are getting lazy.*

Thank you! That has been my opinion for years. Writers are also trying to show how "with it" they are, don't actually have the vocabulary to be literate, or they speak like that and assume everybody else does too. I said before I like Leonardo DiCaprio and hope he finally gets an Oscar but not for something like this (and not at Bruce Dern's expense).

Yes, there are scenes where an off-color word is what would probably be used in a real situation. For example, in *Runaway* that one word became a charming part of the plot later on. But not a barrage like *WOWS.* They ruined *Hoffa* and what looked like an interesting Western, *South of Heaven, West of Hell.* After 15 minutes of nearly every other word starting with f, I gave up on each. There was no need for it as the stories could be told without it. Oh, yes, *Ordinary People* as well.

>The new movie playing in theatres, "Wolf of Wall Street" the f-word is uttered 506 times, breaking all records.

>I'd just like to know who goes around counting such things. Is this something a future Jeopardy contestant might be well off knowing?

Yep, maybe Andy.

(...and probably after Alex hands over hosting duties to Haley Joel Osment) ;)

Smoking bothers me, too. I quit smoking two years ago after smoking for over 30 years. Joan Crawford movies are the worst for me, she never stops smoking.

But I do wonder what sex scenes are appropriate to the film in modern films. It adds nothing to the story. I know people have sex, I don't need to look at it.

Congratulations on quitting... my dad died of Camels, my mom died of Chesterfields, and my stepmother died of Pall Malls. I never smoked, because I couldn't stand to be around it when I was a kid.

I don't like to see smoking in old films, but they didn't know any better. In today's films, we do, and don't need to show it, which glamorizes it, even when the bad guys do it.

I'm on the same page as the original poster- dislike outright swearing and sex scenes both. Really, the vast majority of classic films through the decades should confirm it's simply not necessary while it automatically narrows your audience.

I can't tell you how many DVDs I won't show to my mother NOR my step daughter because of this. For example, even though my mother loves Steve Buschemi, she hated THE BIG LEBOWSKI because they all spoke like ghetto trash (she's right). Why not just tame the language down to "occasional" swearing where it may truly be needed? You'd certainly widen your acceptance.

Anyone remember CHASING AMY? I don't remember a thing about the story, all I remember is the principles couldn't utter a sentence without the f word. What intelligent, educated, mature adult speaks like that?

As for sex scenes, really? Just HOW does it further the story? We all know what it looks like, why waste valuable screen time on showing it?

It's one of the reasons I love Bollywood films-I actually describe them as being like MGM musicals of the 50's. You won't see kissing, merely embracing and it actually builds sexual tension throughout the story. And if there IS an occasional swear word, it's in English....does that tell you anything?

I don't like to see smoking in old films, but they didn't know any better. In today's films, we do, and don't need to show it, which glamorizes it, even when the bad guys do it.

As far as I'm concerned, we should line up every last tobacco executive against a garage wall and give them an old fashioned St. Valentine's Day greeting, circa 1929. They are truly the scum of the Earth.

That said, smoking is like swearing. To the extent that it's credible within the context of the movie's time and place, and among the demographic being portrayed, I don't have any problem with it.

But no "product placement", please. And don't let John Waters film the smoking scenes in Odorama. ;)

> I don't like to see smoking in old films, but they didn't know any better. In today's films, we do, and don't need to show it, which glamorizes it, even when the bad guys do it.

I wonder who, and when it started that whenever somebody does something in a movie that someone else doesn't like, it's considered "glamorizing" it? Someone smoking in a modern movie is no different from an old movie. It's just something they're doing. Like the guys who, after a "hard day" at the office, make a beeline for the bar in their homes as soon as they walk through the door.

I know more people personally who died from health complications due to alchohol than from tobacco. Yet I'm not here in these forums crying about modern OR "classic" movies "glamorizing" boozing, do you?

How many people die from heart disease brought on by over consumption of cholesterol laden foods? How many people do any of you know that died due to this factor? Should we now eradicate any Thanksgiving dinner scenes from future movies, because they "glamorize" poor eating habits? Or just GROW UP and deal with the REALITY of it all?

People cuss. Today AND "back when". People drink and smoke. Eat like pigs, and f**k like rabbits! Always have, and always will.

Does that mean we HAVE to see all that in a movie? Not really. But when it DOES show up, just chalk it up to the film maker trying to instill a bit of "reality" into the movie, and move on.

If nudity is privy to the character's situation or cogent to the scene or story, there shoudn't be too much complaint about it. Only when it's gratuitous do I draw a line.

Same with all the other stuff y'all were whining about here. I'm willing to bet that at least ONE guy, back in the '30's, walked out of a movie theater after seeing a movie with "squeaky clean" language and said, "G**DAMN! THAT was a F**KIN' good movie!"

So, are you going to still make fun of old, post code movies that have married couples sleeping in seperate beds, yet still gripe about modern movies that have grown men and women in the same bed and putting it to good use? Or what?

Sepiatone

Choleteral-laden foods? How many films can you name where there is gratuitous eating of cheesesteaks by the characters?. With regard to cigarettes, characters light them for no particular plot-related reason, and it can't be explained away by the fact that it's just something that people "do". 80% of Americans now do not.

"Does that mean we HAVE to see all that in a movie? Not really. But when it DOES show up, just chalk it up to the film maker trying to instill a bit of "reality" into the movie, and move on."

You are missing the point of the OP. No one is denying the right of any film maker to make whatever kind of film they want. The question is do we want TCM, supposedly a family friendly channel, to show smut that masquerades as "reality"? Where SHOULD we and TCM draw the line or would an occasional late night showing of films approaching the usual CINEMAX offerings like SEXY WIVES SINSATIONS be alright with you? You can't get much more real then that. Well......you can, but.........would you want your kids watching it? After all, if the solution is as simple as turning the channel, then by all means bring on the bacchanal and make TCM a real happening place.

TikiSoo wrote:

It's one of the reasons I love Bollywood films-I actually describe them as being like MGM musicals of the 50's. You won't see kissing, merely embracing and it actually builds sexual tension throughout the story. And if there IS an occasional swear word, it's in English....does that tell you anything?

What are you doing in April? The Bollywood version of the Oscars will be held here in Tampa this year. They are reving up the town as they did for the GOP convention but I doubt it will look like a POW camp as it did then. We have a large Indian community who is going all out to make it a success.

>I'm on the same page as the original poster- dislike outright swearing and sex scenes both. Really, the vast majority of classic films through the decades should confirm it's simply not necessary while it automatically narrows your audience.

I agree.

I've noticed that some internet message boards are filled with cursing in the Comments sections, among people who are arguing about different issues. In fact, YouTube has a lot of cursing in the comments sections of the films.

This is just NOT NECESSARY and to me it lowers my interest in reading the comments, because when I see curse words in them, I think of a group of teenage street-corner hoodlums talking to each other, and I have absolutely no interest in what street-corner hoodlums think about movies or anything else.

>I've noticed that some internet message boards are filled with cursing in the Comments sections, among people who are arguing about different issues. In fact, YouTube has a lot of cursing in the comments sections of the films.

If you sign on to your you tube account while watching it, you can then

scroll to the bottom and see a safety mode. Click it on. Save.

You will not see any comments at all.

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jan 28, 2014 6:12 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings