Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Escape from New York/The Super Bowl

Swithin

*Escape from New York* is the name of a dreary futuristic science fiction film, which I believe was remade; it's also how I feel about this weekend. Because of the Super Bowl (which is in NJ where it belongs), they've turned Times Square (20 city blocks south of where I live) into a ludicrous, trashy amusement area. It's horrible! I would Escape from New York this weekend but have to go to a birthday party Saturday night; however, I will go out of town Sunday morning, until Tuesday.

Appropriately, TCM is showing *The Lost Weekend* on Sunday.

Hmmm...perhaps the downward slide of the Seahawks defense as Peyton Manning so skillfully and methodically shreds it with his passing arm??? ;)

(...well, unless of course the Broncos offensive line doesn't protect him like they did against the Patriots, anyway)

I'm NOT so into sports that I can sit for two or so hours watching teams from cities I'm NOT from going at it. Same with college sports. Never went to college, so I DON'T CARE if Northwestern beats or loses to State. ANY State.

Plus, I'm not into football anymore. Not since I was 13. I suppose I'll look into a Superbowl game if Detroit ever plays, which means I may NEVER watch a Superbowl; game!

I'm just lucky, I guess...

Sepiatone

AND, on the flip-side of that thought:

This older gentleman had 50 yard line tickets for the Super Bowl.

As he sat down, he noticed that the seat nest to him was empty. He asked the man on the other side of the empty seat whether anyone was sitting there.

?No,? the man replied, The seat is empty.?

?This is incredible? said the first man. ?Who in their right mind would have a seat like this for the Super Bowl, the biggest sporting event in the world and not use it?

The Second man replied, ?Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This will be the first Super Bowl we haven?t been together since we go married in 1967.?

?Oh, I?m sorry to hear that. That?s terrible. But couldn't you find someone else ? a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat??

The man shook his head. ?No, They?re all at the funeral.?

;)

Would you rather go back to the [Times Square of the 1970s|http://www.vintag.es/2013/04/photos-of-times-square-in-1970s.html]? ;-)

Photos[iOf[/i]TimesSquareinThe1970s+(16).jpeg]

That's one of the clean images.

I used to cut school and hang it in the Automat in Times Square. I don't mind some of the cleanup; I just hate all this intrusive garbage that they feel obliged to stick in for "special" occasions, like the ludicrous slide that Hamradio posted a photo of.

Actually, the movie Who Killed Teddy Bear has some nice shots of the old Times Square.

I walk through Time Square almost every day - the coolest super bowl madness prop- is this giant transformer like football robot. I also live in New Jersey and the traffic is about the same. Time Square has turned into a one big out door mall- filled with tourist and creepy people dressed like cartoon characters. And the stores are the same you can see anywhere in the US. The pre-Disneyfied square is gone - yeah it was a bit sleazy but at least it was colorful.

I'll be going out to dinner tonight, downtown (meaning Greenwich Village). I live on the UWS and will take the subway (probably 2 or 3 from 72nd St to 14th St), but my dinner companions will take the bus from the UES. It will be interesting to see how all this impacts public transport.

Glad I found this thread...... OK, I live Midtown East, have not been to Times Square for the "festivities", but plan to go to NJ tomorrow for a Super Bowl Party with friends who normally want to see a Super Bowl Game but even they seem to be saying "they really are not that interested in THIS game". OK....... I am going for my martini and food and heading back to NYC on the bus. Maybe right after the National Anthem.

I find it strange that anyone that claims to be an actual football fan wouldn't be interested in seeing these two teams play. High powered offense against a high powered, physical defense.

It should be an very physical game and that is what most football fans (at least the ones I know), look forward to.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings