Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do other viewers feel about scheduling more and more recent movies?

insteadofabum

It seems there are more movies from the late 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even the 2000's on the TCM schedule.

I would rather TCM focus on the classic movies from the 1920's, 30's, 40's and 50's.

This is a topic that's been hashed and re-hashed at least 10 times a year for what seems like forever.

Bottom line: It's simply *not true* that TCM is now showing fewer and fewer "classic" movies than in previous years. "Seems like" is no substitute for actual information. Others have time and again provided decade breakdowns of TCM's programming over the years, and there's no basis whatever for your complaint. TCM's primary focus has always been on those decades that you (and I) prefer, but it's never been the exclusive focus, nor will it ever be.

I've noticed that lately there have many films from the 30's being shown, especially on weekday mornings and afternoons. I prefer TCM cover classics from every era, all the way through the 1990's. I greatly appreciate those early pre-code flicks, but I also enjoy films like the Steve Martin "Pennies From Heaven", which I saw is being telecast this evening.

I'm with SwedeGuy27 , There are many modern films set in the old days. And other films that have themes reminiscent of the old days that fit well in this format I think. Why not show them ?

I would love for TCM to only play what I like to watch but, what about the other millions of viewers ???

This subject should have its own category, just below general discussions !

More recent films: NO. That's what HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and Encore is there for. What TCM has to do is buy the pre'48 and Universal library from Comcast. If Comcast had any brains they would start their own movie channel to compete with TCM.

More recent films: NO. That's what HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and Encore is there for.

That's great if you can afford those premium channels. Not everyone is quite so fortunate.

Not to mention that whereas TCM's more recent movies are carefully selected for quality to fit in with those of their more favored decades of the 20's through the 50's, the films on those other channels aren't nearly so carefully screened. For every first rate movie, you get ten pieces of trash and countless repeats.

Some people aren't satisfied with 80% of the programming devoted to their favorite eras, I guess, so their idea is to impose a form of "Programming Correctness" on everyone else. Thank God that TCM has been ignoring those folks' wishes ever since 1994, and will continue to ignore them in the future, no matter how many times they keep beating the same dead horse.

> That's great if you can afford those premium channels. Not everyone is quite so fortunate.

Exactly! This is the sad yet always present argument FredCDobbs makes when confronted with newer films being shown on TCM. He always tries to make this argument as if everyone has unlimited amounts of money to spend every month for those other premium cable channels.

I do not mean to pick on Fred, but this is his usual approach to newer films on TCM.

Others complain as well. Like those who insist on nothing newer being shown than 10 years ago. So a film made in 2004 is okay, but not a film made in 2005 or after. Or the folks who insist that TCM show 80% older pre-1960 films and 20% post-1960 films.

> Not to mention that whereas TCM's more recent movies are carefully selected for quality to fit in with those of their more favored decades of the 20's through the 50's, the films on those other channels aren't nearly so carefully screened. For every first rate movie, you get ten pieces of trash and countless repeats.

I agree with your TCM statement. As far as the other premium channels are concerned, you are correct. For every first rate front line movie that is shown, the premium channel usually has to show multiple showings of other less than perfect films, many, many times over each month.

Don't you realize that the more new movies TCM airs, the more their cable rates are going to go up to pay to rent those new movies?

TCM's fee now is low because they show a lot of older movies that no other channel wants to rent. But as they show more newer movies, they are going to have to pay higher fees for the rights to show them, and then our TCM cable rates are going to go up just like the other channels that show newer movies.

Not necessarily. The newer films I am talking about are films from the 1980s through the early 2000's. Clearly NOT the types of films most of the other premium cable channels are showing.

And just how many newer films is TCM airing? Most months the number of 1990's films are under 5 to 10 per month. Hardly ever does TCM show newer films from the early 2000's. I do not think rental/leasing rates are that high for 20 to 30 to 40 year old films.

Personally I'm not such a big fan of it. There are so many movies made post-1970 that TCM has never, ever shown. If I wanted to watch "Sleepless in Seattle", I could just put on Lifetime or some other station. TCM is the station for CLASSIC movies, not romantic comedies from the 1990's or CGI rampant science fiction. TCM is the station for movies like Casablanca and Mildred Pierce, not "Minority Report" or "Sleepless In Seattle". These more recent movies may be enjoyable, but they don't belong on a classic movie channel. I hope TCM doesn't pull a TV Land and drop the classics for abysmal new releases (and I mean stuff like the next Hangover movie or anything starring a Kardashian). 1980's movies is slightly pushing the envelope, but I believe it all should depend on critical or historical status and more importantly, the cast. Movies like "Victor/Victoria" and "My Favorite Year" feature Oscar-nominated, well-respected actors. Actors that starred in classic films, thus considered classic actors. I'm sorry but Rosie O'Donnell is not a classic actress, nor is "Sleepless in Seattle" a classic movie. TCM should show more 1920s-1960s material and especially the stuff that isn't (and perhaps never will be) out on DVD. If it's on every other channel, don't show it on TCM. TCM is the channel that will always and forever stand out. They show classic movies and show them uncut and the way they should be shown. Sellout stations like AMC (now American Movie Channel, not American Movie Classics) or IFC have sold out to what people in fraternities or sororities call "classic". TCM shows the movies that made the movies, with actors like Bogart, Cagney, Preston, and O'Toole, scores by Max Steiner and Bernard Herrmann, directors like Sturges, Curtiz, and Hitchcock. If TCM sells out and stops showing these movies, it's like setting fire to the history of cinema. We need these classic films and I hope TCM doesn't sell out. I really don't have the time nor the funds to open my own TV station and/or by the rights to these movies.

Edited by: CobwebStudios on Jan 30, 2014 2:06 PM

> If TCM sells out and stops showing these movies, it's like setting fire to the history of cinema

I don't quite understand why you're worried that TCM is going to stop showing movies from every time period - just as it's always done.

TCM has done nothing to create such worry. Its programming has been superlative - yes?

Well, it all depends on the movie. Like I said, historical or critical status should affect whether the film should be shown or not. I'm not bashing the 80's, just considering it a bit recent. When I think of the 80's, I don't think of it as in 30 years ago. I still consider the 80's and 90's to be very, very recent.

I agree that it depends on the film. I think TCM is both for old movies and also a place for movies that don't get shown anywhere else. "Art House" movies are a good example, like their Merchant/Ivory marathon--fairly recent movies that don't get shown much else on TV (unless Nickelodeon often schedules HOWARD'S END...). I don't really like them showing "popular" recent movies like SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE which can be seen on several channels, but even then I don't mind if it really fits their theme, i.e. honoring a specific person.

Next thing you will be telling me is that because I don't get TCM anymore, I have no right or business writing on the message boards, correct?

Did you also not say recently that you also do not watch much TCM anymore due to the FACT that according to you TCM does not show enough older films from the pre 1960 era you love so much?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings