Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TROG

BeverlyBuzzby

I liked this film (and my standards are high). I think for what it is, or what it attempts to do, it does it very well-- which is to present simple yet thoughtful entertainment. Crawford lends credibility to the entire affair. In the hands of a lesser actress, it could have been utterly dreadful. What I liked most about it is that there are horror elements, but that the caveman isn't made to be too much of a monster-- he has a gentler, less primitive side that Crawford's character is able to appeal to and reach. Of course, everything goes off-kilter and he runs amok until right before the final fadeout, when she is able to talk him down and hand over the child he had kidnapped.

But TROG is not as bad a film as it's been made out to be-- and in many places, I have seen it receive two out of four stars. CALLING PHILO VANCE, which also aired recently on TCM, usually gets one star. Final analysis: glad I took the time to watch it. If anything, it gave me a deeper appreciation of Joan Crawford as an actress, doing the best she could, given the material and the circumstances.

• 1 year later...

If you happen to be in London on Sunday, September 20th you may want to go to the BFI Southbank's screening of Trog (1970).  It is being introduced by none other than director, John Waters.

Looks like a lot of fun.  Waters is getting a BFI retrospective.

The BFI guide describes Trog as .."one of the most ludicrous, touching, mind-boggling star vehicles ever.  Joan Crawford, desperate for a job, teams up with director Freddie Francis (!) and an actor in a pitiful monkey mask for a sci-fi howler like no other.

I liked this film (and my standards are high). I think for what it is, or what it attempts to do, it does it very well-- which is to present simple yet thoughtful entertainment. Crawford lends credibility to the entire affair. In the hands of a lesser actress, it could have been utterly dreadful. What I liked most about it is that there are horror elements, but that the caveman isn't made to be too much of a monster-- he has a gentler, less primitive side that Crawford's character is able to appeal to and reach. Of course, everything goes off-kilter and he runs amok until right before the final fadeout, when she is able to talk him down and hand over the child he had kidnapped.

But TROG is not as bad a film as it's been made out to be-- and in many places, I have seen it receive two out of four stars. CALLING PHILO VANCE, which also aired recently on TCM, usually gets one star. Final analysis: glad I took the time to watch it. If anything, it gave me a deeper appreciation of Joan Crawford as an actress, doing the best she could, given the material and the circumstances.

I thought Trog a fairly good horror film since first seeing it on the CBS Late Movie 40 years ago and John Scott's music is quite good.

She commits to the truth of the story. Most actors would not have played that role as a real person. 

Most actors of her rank wouldnt have accepted the part in the first place. I guess vodka helped. Sorry, but for me Trog makes Berserk! look like Citizen Kane....

• Like 1

Poor Joan. Not a great send off (moviewise)..........

Well, she really needed the money so she took the job.

I give her credit for not just phoning in the performance and actually making lines like following work:

Conceivably, Trog was frozen solid during the long, long glacial age. A state similar to cryogenic suspension. Then as the underground streams and currents brought more and more warmth to the frozen atmosphere, his body thawed out. We now know that human s-p-e-r-m, red blood cells, bone marrow cells, even skin can be brought back to life after freezing.

Well, she really needed the money so she took the job.

I give her credit for not just phoning in the performance and actually making lines like following work:

Conceivably, Trog was frozen solid during the long, long glacial age. A state similar to cryogenic suspension. Then as the underground streams and currents brought more and more warmth to the frozen atmosphere, his body thawed out. We now know that human s-p-e-r-m, red blood cells, bone marrow cells, even skin can be brought back to life after freezing.

Yeah, keeping a straight face mouthing that swill had to be hard. (LOL)..........Hopefully the pay was good.

• Like 1

Joan Crawford wasn't alone in having her last film not be a good one.  That said, I don't think TROG is all that bad.  I found it watchable.  I've seen far worse movies than TROG.   

Bette Davis' last film was that 1989 Larry Cohen flick WICKED STEPMOTHER

Peter Sellers' was the dreadful THE FIENDISH PLOT OF DR. FU MANCHU which has no comedic energy whatsoever.

Miriam Hopkins' last film was the not-badly-made-but-irritating 1969 horror movie 'SAVAGE INTRUDER' which featured John Garfield's son in the lead role.  

Joan Crawford wasn't alone in having her last film not be a good one.  That said, I don't think TROG is all that bad.  I found it watchable.  I've seen far worse movies than TROG.   

Bette Davis' last film was that 1989 Larry Cohen flick WICKED STEPMOTHER

Peter Sellers' was the dreadful THE FIENDISH PLOT OF DR. FU MANCHU which has no comedic energy whatsoever.

Miriam Hopkins' last film was the not-badly-made-but-irritating 1969 horror movie 'SAVAGE INTRUDER' which featured John Garfield's son in the lead role.  

I thought Bette Davis's last movie was WHALES OF AUGUST.

I remember reading (maybe on this board) that she dropped out of a later movie. 

I thought Bette Davis's last movie was WHALES OF AUGUST.

I remember reading (maybe on this board) that she dropped out of a later movie. 

Yes, that was the movie she dropped out of, they sort of rewrote her out of the story. So technically one could say it wasnt really her last film as she didnt complete it.......(Wicked Stepmother)

So there is some footage with Bette Davis in WICKED STEPMOTHER?

I assume there I at the start before she was turned into a cat and the focus moved to her daughter in the film.  

Yea, Bette was well Bette but could she get star billing and not even be in a film?   (I guess they couldn't give the cat star billing because it wasn't in her contract!).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings