Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two versions of Red River

slaytonf

I don't know if other people know about this, but in bumping around the Web for another thread, I ran into the following article by Peter Bogdonavitch:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/peterbogdanovich/red-river-and-my-darling-clementine

Here's a teaser excerpt:

For years now the most commonly shown version--with handwritten bridging sections, as though from an ancient historical journal--is a preview cut which Hawks discarded in favor of a faster, more personal device: narration by one of the main characters, an especially lovable Walter Brennan as Groot, the cook.

He says he's been trying to get the preferred Hawk's version released, to no avail, obviously. What if we raise a collective shout and try to get TCM to work on getting it released? I'd definitely like to see it. Red River is my favorite western, and darned if I don't think it just might be the best one ever made. A version Hawks preferred to the one released would make just that much more of a candidate.

>What if we raise a collective shout and try to get TCM to work on getting it released? I'd definitely like to see it.

slayton,

Good news, TCM has been working with Bogdanovich to find a copy of the film. They teamed up on the project before the first Film Festival. Bogdanovich was hoping to find it so it could be screened there.

Last I heard, they were still trying to unearth it.