Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the Oscar Goes To Documentary

WinslowLeach74 wrote:

>...some of the people *were unrepentant Stalinists (in particular the Hollywood Ten,* who went to jail because of contempt of Congress - a fact they don't mention).

That's absurd. I'm not sure any were "unrepentant Stalinists," but several of them definitely weren't. It was Congress who was showing contempt for the constitution. No US citizen has to divulge their political allegiances, any more that they have to tell who they vote for.

speedracer5,

I agree. I know the ceremonies werent televised until 1953, but surely there must exist photos/footage from previous ceremonies? There was little of that. Also the history of where the ceremonies have been held over the years. I also would've liked to hear more about voting rules and ballots, how categories were added and when. How decisions were reached about honorary Oscars, more behind the scenes stuff. There were way too many talking heads interviews with a handful of people about their experiences etc. (I know you cant interview the dead, but surely they could have quoted from interviews etc....).

One of those programs I'd watch once, but wouldnt save or go back to watch again..........Way to much filler.

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 4, 2014 9:50 AM

> Big emphasis on Documentary awards (Michael Moore blah blah blah) but nothing re: Best song or score?

I'd guess music clearances. Getting the rights to air a whole bunch of music under different copyright can be a big pain. Ditto archival photos; I'd presume much of the clips of awards ceremonies here were stuff where the copyright is held by the Academy.