Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

Your Favorite Maximillian Schell Film

RIP Maximilian Schell

I liked The Young Lions and A Bridge To Far.The Condemned Of Altona(1963)wasn't bad.Fredric March,Sophia Loren,and Robert Wagner and Max. also in cast.Just the cast alone makes this worth seeing.

I like "Topkapi" too... That film aired on TCM a few times last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topkapi_%28film%29

Another one is "First Love." Written, directed, and featured Schell and was nominated for an Oscar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Love_%281970_film%29

Too many good films to have a favourite for me...

He was excellent in "Judgement at Nuremberg" although ( sorry- maybe not a nice comment in THIS thread) I thought Paul Newman deserved the Oscar that year for his memorable performance in "The Hustler". But then competition for acting awards is inherently apples vs oranges.

Newman was terrific in the great movie THE HUSTLER but my best actor nod goes to Schell in JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG. Schell's was a riveting performance. Also really liked Schell in the THE YOUNG LIONS and also THE CROSS OF IRON.

My favorite would have to be the film he directed, but didnt star in: Marlene (the docu. he made about Dietrich...)

I actually only saw "Judgement at Nuremburg" recently for the first time and I was thinking, "who is that actor..he's really good"!

I'm not familar with his work but some of you mentioned here that he is also in "The Young Lions". I'm excited to see this movie is going to be playing on TCM this month (for the first time) as I've been wanting to see it again since the '70s when I was young & barely remembered it, but was impressed with what I saw.

>My favorite would have to be the film he directed, but didnt star in: Marlene (the docu. he made about Dietrich...)

Me too. Fascinating non-look into her life and career.

Mine would have to be The Freshman (Matthew Broderick). Schell played the "chef" (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). He had a priceless way of delivering his lines....and he was still hot looking at this later stage of his career, too.

The rarely shown MAN IN THE GLASS BOOTH (1975) directed by Arthur Hiller. It was part of the American Film Theater series of filmed versions of famous plays.

Mark,

In addition to Schell, Robert Shaw is also excellent in *The Man in the Glass Booth*. Haven't thought of that one in years! Didn't Shaw write the book and the screenplay?

Is the American Film Theater series available on DVD?

Lynn,

I haven't seen the film in a very long time and actually had forgotten about Shaw. According to IMDb he was indeed one of the writers, but uncredited.

Kino Video put out a set of the 14 films, but it was always way over my budget. However, I just checked their website [kinolorber.com] to see if it was still in print and not only do they sell it, but titles are available now individually, so you know what I'm going to do as soon as I finish this. Thanks for asking about it.

My favorite Maximilian Schell film is RETURN FROM THE ASHES. His scenes with Ingrid Thulin and Samantha Eggar in this British drama are great fun to watch.

She also fought him every step of the way and provided misinformation leading one to question why she consented in the first place.........

"Judgement". Why? because I think that as a lawyer in Germany at that time I'd never have taken that case. I think Schell's character knew he was fighting for a lost cause and Max conveyed that feeling perfectly. I'm here. I don't want to be but I'll give my all.

Definitely. It's a non-look because Dietrich didn't allow herself to be filmed. The portrait is a devastating one.

But interesting and probably a better picture of how Dietrich was in her final years than a "nicer" version would have been. I seem to remember Maria Riva saying that it was Maria's idea--that several bios had come out and that her mother (who apparently was always short of funds) should do her own version and get the money for it. As the start of filming approached, Dietrich became unsure that Schell was the right person for the job, though Maria thought it was just fear (of failure maybe?) on her mother's part. Dietrich was also apparently drinking quite a bit during the filming and that made her even more cantakerous.

I rather like 1981's The Chosen. He has a large supporting role in the film.

The Chosen is a lovely film, gently evocative of New York City right after World War II. I think of it -- despite the different subject matter -- as a good companion piece to The Subject Was Roses, both about post-war families, one Jewish in Brooklyn, the other Irish in the Bronx. Schell is excellent in The Chosen, as are the boys. And Rod Steiger is incredible as the Chasidic Rabbi.

THE CHOSEN is definitely a "lovely film".  Great great performances by all in it.  Evocative!!