Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone here tried to act out scenes and situations from old movies?

FredCDobbs

I have, but I'd like to hear some other stories before I tell some of mine. :)

Have you been anywhere on vacation that you always wanted to go because you saw it in a movie?

Well, I'll tell one story. Ever since I was a kid, seeing Tarzan and Jungle Jim movies, I wanted to go to Africa on safari.

One time when I was in high school in the late 50s, I mailed off for a safari brochure I read about in National Geographic magazine. The cost of the safari was about $2,000. Air fare not included. I didn't have $4,000 back around 1959.

Later I learned about the Jungles in Mexico and the Mayan ruins too. So I did go to Yucatan several times over a few decades. It was great fun! And no lions to worry about. :)

In the early 1960s, there were round-trip flights from Southern US airports to Merida Yucatan that cost only about $134, and the flights lasted only about 1-1/2 hours. The fine hotels in the city and the jungle were about $4 a night.

Fred, I couldn't get that one by you could I? The only time I consciously went to a particular place to see a movie location was when I was driving cross country and saw that I was going by Sparta, Illinois. That's the small town where *In The Heat Of The Night* was filmed (supposed to be Sparta, Mississippi). I had to stop and see if there were still familiar sites from the film. The old train station is a museum and has some exhibits about the movie and a local man told me where to go in and around the town to see some of the places that are still there. Didn't see the police chief Steiger though.

How did you get the key with 2x4s and two towels??

-----------------------------------

Often I did work at my TV station on the weekend, when we had only one engineer on duty.

The front-office ladies turned off and locked the Xerox machine over the weekend, but sometimes I needed copies of scripts on the weekend.

I studied the lock and it was a very simple one, so I made a key out of a piece of brass.

Somehow word got around (I think I told that engineer), and one time on a weekend the General Manager was at the station working but the machine was locked. He saw me and asked if he could borrow my key, and I loaned it to him. He never questioned me about it. He returned it to me when he was finished.

My siblings.and I,.along.with some cousins,.would act.out scenes.from.THE WIZARD OF.OZ after its annual.showing on tv. At.least.that is what I thought your post was askkng.

Along the lines of your example, when I went to Rome i made.sure we.went to.all.the locations featured.in.ROMAN HOLIDAY.

Whenever my husband and I go on a long road trip (the two most recent, both from Portland to LA), I like to bust out lines from probably one of the best road trip movies, "The Long, Long Trailer." When we have to turn around, I'll say "Have you any conception how much room it takes to turn this thing around (2006 Toyota Corolla)? We may have to go on for miles and miles!" The fact that my car is so small makes it even funnier.

Other lines like: "Think of it as a train behind you. Forty feet of train!" are fun to say.

And my favorite: "Turn right here left!"

>And my favorite: "Turn right here left!"

Heh I say that one too! Along with when asked what the street sign is; "The sign says own-ee way. That's ONE WAY!" (from the Flintstones)

I don't think many adults act out scenes from movies, but I bet many of us use quotes in our everyday lives.

I love Charlotte Vale's line from NOW VOYAGER, "You didn't want me and I didn't want to be born. It was a calamity on both sides!" I often say "it's a calamity on both sides" when dealing with a problem at work. No one recognises it, but most laugh at the use of the word "calamity".

I'm sure there's many more...

The opportunity doesn't often knock, so there's plenty I probably COULD have done, but was too preoccupied with the situation to think of them.

I might reference more recent fare, as when my wife takes her good, old time getting out of the house when we've somewhere to go by yelling, "We're going to miss all the GOOD TREES!"

One time, after twisting my ankle in one of the many rabbit holes in the yard, I hobbled into the house and started yelling, in my best Walter Brennan, "LUKE! KATE! HASSIE! PEPINI!"

I'll try to see if I can remember more later.

Sepiatone

Yes, I used quotes often. For example, from The Scarlet Pimpernel;

When someone is asked 'how do you like it' (food, music, a movie, etc..), and they reply 'it's not so bad'. I reply with a line from that movie: Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad!

While most people don't know the line is from a movie I always get a reaction. Most of the time the person is just trying to be polite (i.e. they don't wish to say something is bad). I tell them I would rather have a more honest response. (because NOT so bad is NOT good, but more along the lines of mediocre!).

Gotta admit over the years I've replied to various people more than a few times (and in my very best Gable voice, and it's damn good impression if I do say so myself) that I don't care one iota what they're sayin' to me. ;)

OH, and another one of my "fall back" lines after being told by someone that I must have been under some mistaken impression of some sort, is a particular line said by Bogie(and once again, my impression is usually spot-on), "I was mish-informed"!

(...so, do THESE count???) LOL

One can do a great Hitchcock tour in northern Cal. - i did this about 20 years ago, so hopefully it still holds true - "Vertigo" - misc. San Francisco sites - most from the film were all still there, not to mention the mission in San Juan Bautista - (minus the movie's added "bell tower") "The Birds" Bodega Bay has much from the film including the school house ( it was a bed and breakfast inn when I was there) The town setting for the bird attack seemed very much as in the film.

In Santa Rosa though, when we inquired at the modern library as to the location for the old library that was used in "Shadow of a Doubt" we were told, "You're standing in it!". The old library had been torn down; the new one built on the same spot.

Re: acting out movie scenes. For some reason when we were kids, my siblings and I used to love to act out the earthquake scene from "The Rains of Ranchipur". Bad movie - good special effects for 1955!