Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Veronica Lake was a stunningly beautiful woman, but in my opinion she was the worst actress I have ever seen. She didn't act, she just stood there saying out lines. Very wooden indeed. I always wondered what other people thought of her acting abilities. Anyone care to comment?

Apparently you didn't see her fine dramatic performance in "So Proudly We Hail!". She also fit perfectly in the noir films as the 'dame' in "This Gun for Hire", "The Glass Key" and "The Blue Dahlia" opposite Alan Ladd.

Was also fun to watch in "Sullivan's Travels" and "I Married a Witch".

I would say that this sultry blonde with the peek-a-boo hair-do did just fine for herself.

Mongo

I have to agree Mongo, I think Veronica Lake was a fine actress. She was endearing and a total delight in "Sullivan's Travels," and she was awesome in "So Proudly We Hail," where she DID act well, and held her own amongst a whole cast of other fine actresses, I might add.

Although known as a sex symbol, and rightfully so, since she was so beautiful, aside from that she was also a good actress.

I wouldn't worry too much about defending Ms. Lake's acting abilities here, guys, when we've got participants on these boards who refuse to acknowledge that Kate was great;-)

With all the "celebrities" that have made a movie, especially in the past 20 years, an extreme statement like "the worst actress I have ever seen" is obviously just hyperbole.

I like the noirs she made with Alad Ladd best, another actor some feel was a little stiff.

I don't think Veronica Lake is the worst actress I have ever seen, I have seen her in many movies that I love and she is not my favorite actress, but by all means not the worst. I think I agree with normandie in that she seems a little fake sometimes, or unbelievable, a little bit like a manequin. If you ever see Hold Back The Dawn and see that tiny cameo-ish scene of hers in the beginning when she is on the phone- those are the kind of things that when I think of thenm I say I get what normandie said. Wooden. I don't want to slam her for sure because like I say I love some of her movies so....

I'll be honest with you.

I like Veronica Lake. But sometimes I wonder if certain performers, who are not naturals or very trained...can be great in roles especially tailored to their talents, and not so great in other roles.

The really great actor/actress can be good in almost anything. I remember seeing Sir Lawrence Oliver interviewed once, where he said his favorite actor was Mickey Rooney, due to the fact that Rooney could be funny, serious, play in musicals or historical dramas and yet be believable in every type of film. Whereas Olivier said he had a really hard time in the film, "The Entertainer" as he did not feel totally comfortable with the musical or comedic elements, even though they were not supposed to be of the highest quality, being that he was playing mostly a hack.

So I think you make a good point, that in some films, Veronica is just passable and seems a bit mannered. On the other hand, in some films I really like her laidback approach and I do think she was great as a witch with a wicked sense of humor, and with Ladd in "This Gun For Hire".

I have one absolute criteria for such a judgment. Often to make a firm judgment, if there is an actress [or actor] that I think is pretty good, and is also very attractive....what I do is close my eyes while their film is playing, and listen to just the voice, and try to imagine if they looked like Marjorie Main or Arthur Hunnicutt...would I still think they are so talented.

You'd be surprised how many people do not pass that talent test, when one has their eyes closed.

Let's face it, some singing voices seem to sound better if they come from a gorgeous package...but on the radio, all are judged on the same merits.

I thought she was pretty; I always liked her hair - that famous 'peek-a-boo' cut. I didn't think she was the best actress ever, but I didn't think she was the worst either. I found her to be wooden at time as well, but I did like her movies, especially I Married a Witch and Sullivan's Travels.