Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

off topic : video formats

classiccinemafan

This is off topic.

here is a list of video formats. It's by decade.

1980 - best picture quality : Laser Discs (425 TV lines)

affordable format : VHS & Beta (240 TV lines)

1990 - best picture quality : ED Beta ( 500 lines, DVD QUALITY !)

S-VHS & Laser Discs (both 425 lines)

2000 - best picture quality (no , it's NOT DVD !) : it's D-VHS (1080i) Blu-ray quality !

2010 - we have Blu-ray & DVD. Blu-ray's cost $5 to $10 more than a standard DVD. On Blu-ray's, only the movie is in HD and the bonus material is all in 480p.

DVDs can be upconverted to 1080p via HDMI on a newer DVD player. Blu-ray is a new format and still has it's issues. Half of the time , discs won't play or you'll have to have new software just to play a Blu-ray. A lot of people still buy DVDs because most still have regular TVs and have just begun buying DVDs because of the price drop after a few years after DVDs came out. DVDs came out in 1997 (test marketed in the U.S. according to Wikipedia). Then , when DVDs became affordable around 2004/05 , Blu-rays and HD DVDs came out.

I don't care if you get the latest / "greatest", the people putting this stuff out will always be 10 years ahead of us. They

are putting out 2k TVs now while many could only afford 1080. 8k TVs already exist.

Forget Blu-ray(for those who never upgraded). Play it safe and just buy a Upscaling DVD player.

1975/76 VHS & Beta (240 lines)

1978 Laser Discs (425 lines)

1985 Extended definition Beta (500 lines)

1987 S-VHS (425 lines)

1996 DVD (500 lines)

1998 D-VHS (1080i)

2006 HD DD / Blu-ray (1080p)

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 6, 2014 5:26 PM

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 6, 2014 5:29 PM

You left out the RCA SelectaVision CED video disc player which had a bandwidth of 3 MHZ (240 lines) and was much affordable than the VCR's of the early-mid 1980's which were expensive until the late '80's. The disc were far cheaper than tapes, especially the pre-recorded ones.

Still had the drawback of not being able to record. Laserdisc became affordable during the early 1990's when they made a small comeback. My Realistic Laserdisc only cost $499.95 and the disc ran about $30.00 if you joined the Columbia Laserdisc Club - that's how I got most of mine.

My first RCA CED Stereo player was only about $400.00 in 1982. Got the shock and awe of my life when I saw (at the time) a very nice sharp picture and sound that blew me away. Never heard a movie in stereo before then. Only used the video/audio jacks

Unforgettable fanfare

RCA Manufacturing Tour - A MUST see

RCA SGT-200 Stereo Player

2vcdugy.jpg

Realistic MD-1000 LD Multudisc Player

(I take much better care of mine!)

IMG_4063.jpg

realistic_md-1000_tray1.jpg

Like to add, I don't really care that much anymore about resolution, I have a DVD recorder and have it set to record at 4 hours on standard DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-ROM disc. I don't at present have Blur ray.

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 6, 2014 8:23 PM

That's a awesome looking player you have there hamradio. I heard Laserdiscs have better sound than DVD. DVD is compressed audio with more than half of what laserdiscs have.

Don't you find it strange CED came out after Laser Discs ? Shouldn't it be the other way around ?

About DVD recorders : I have a Toshiba model VCR-DVD Recorder. I've had it for a couple of years now. I hardly use it. I can't understand how to use the thing. DVD recorders are very complex to me. It's the same with digital cameras for me. I just want to drop in the film and take some pictures. I don't want to push buttons and look at menus ! Then , the battery dies or the picture fails to take. We were better off with those polaroid cameras where the picture comes out of the camera.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 8, 2014 12:21 AM

>About DVD recorders : I have a Toshiba model VCR-DVD Recorder. I've had it for a couple of years now. I hardly use it. I can't understand how to use the thing.

Oy, I have that same recorder and worry about it crapping out I use it so much. It's set up at MrTiki's who has the highest tier cable subscription. (I only get over-the-air broadcast)

It works EXACTLY like an old VCR, you set the timer, load a blank disk & forget about it. I'll walk you through it if you like.

>It's the same with digital cameras for me. I just want to drop in the film and take some pictures.

You're right.

Have someone program your digital camera to just function as a regular camera: leave the setting on "auto focus" and you'll have 3 easy steps-Turn on, Focus, Press button-done.

Take your entire camera to a REAL photo processing place (every town has one) and they will take the "memory card" out of the camera and print whatever photos you choose.

classicmoviefan wrote:

<< Don't you find it strange CED came out after Laser Discs ? Shouldn't it be the other way around ? >>

CED technology started during the 1960's and was plague with problems. Took 17 years of research and development to work the bugs out.

Laserdisc has been out for a long time. I saw a prototype in my high school science class when my teacher was presenting a 16mm film about lasers in *1972!*

Here is a Magnavox Discovision promo produced in 1981.

http://www.retroist.com/2012/05/21/magnavox-discovision-promo-with-leonard-nimoy/

Leonard Nimoy's comment that the Laserdisc can not be damaged is not logical. They are very easily scratched and because the disc used analog technology, it shows up as noise when playing.

Here is Mr Wizard (remember him? LOL) showing how it works.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49111/mr-wizard-explains-laserdisc

Portable videotape recorders also came out during the 1970's. How would you like to carry this thing around?

tumblr_mkc3c4KiIb1rtf8yeo1_500.gif

I recently found out about Hi-vision laserdiscs. I think they came out In Japan back in 1994. The format was only available in japan. The format offered high definition. 1125 TV lines. Google it . It not only shocks me, but it angers me. Why did we bother with DVD/bluray ? Why wasn't this format out in the u.s?

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 8, 2014 12:12 AM

Very expensive and HD were in its infancy in the U.S, the first broadcast was 1996 and HD sets were thousands of dollars during the late 1990's. The first DVD players, around $500.00 in 1995.

This is for a used MUSE player shocked.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-HLD-X9-MUSE-Hi-Vision-Laser-Disc-Player-The-Best-/271257146301

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 8, 2014 12:44 AM

classiccinemafan wrote:

>They are putting out 2k TVs now while many could only afford 1080

Actually, it is 4K TVs that are entering the market. They have also figured out how to get a 4K movie on a BluRay disc, using different encoding, and more layers. But, they wouldn't play on most existing BD players, even with firmware updates.

Broadcast standards aren't likely to change from the current HD any time soon. Cable and Sat. co.s don't have enough bandwidth to do much 4K programming, even with improved encoding. But, if manufacturers make enough 4K BD material available, and the cost of 4K sets go down, eventually, they will take off.

I have two Pioneer DVD recorders, with hard drives. I use them all the time. If, and when BD recorders become available, I'll start using them. Right now, the few BD recorders that are for sale in the US won't record from TV. So, the only option for home BD recordimg is the "HTPC," or home theater PC. That's a lot more complicated than my DVDRs!

> TikiSoo wrote:

>> I have a Toshiba model VCR-DVD Recorder. I've had it for a couple of years now. I hardly use it. I can't understand how to use the thing.

> I have that same recorder and worry about it crapping out I use it so much. It's set up at MrTiki's who has the highest tier cable subscription.

I found a Toshiba DVD recorder while I was searching for a new Magnavox DVD-HDD recorder. Technical problems with our recorders are rising and the recent price drops on these units may signal an end to their being sold.

The price for the Toshiba is not listed on the advertising page but is shown on the check-out page. Curiosity forced me to add it to the cart and begin check-out so that I could see the price and I then removed it from the cart. The price it showed to me was: $108.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder/16617614

Blu-ray players aren't exactly expensive anymore, you can get them for below $50, and neither are the discs. Go to any Best Buy and you'll see a large number in the $10 range - good stuff too. New releases may be $5 more but that's hardly a significant premium when you remember what the difference was when buying Laserdisc over VHS in the 1990s.

"Half of the time discs won't play" is complete bull. Yeah, they may require firmware updates but a lot of players now have built in WiFi, so that's not much of a problem. Otherwise, it's as simple as just plugging in a USB drive with the correct update. But in four years, I've never had a problem that was solved by a firmware update and it's not much of an issue these days.

Supplements/Special Features/bonus material - There are tons of them in 1080p on Blu-ray. Certainly for all new films but also for older ones. Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris have HD extras. Lots of Criterion releases do.

An upconverted image isn't remotely of the same quality as a Blu-ray. In any case, Blu-ray players let you play DVDs - you don't have to replace anything you don't want to - and they also do the same upconversion...and better than DVD players from my experience.

You don't lose anything by going Blu-ray, you only gain.

I blame the "gadget junkies". Those idiots who are willing to camp out for three days and pay millions for crap they don't really need. The manufacturers gear the market towards these fools and their "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway" attitudes and couldn't care less about those of us who have more limited resources, or have more important things to do with our money.

For me, the current DVD picture and sound quality is fine. And since one can pick up a decent playing DVD player for around $30, I'd just as soon leave it at that for now. But since it's a money game, and too many seem willing to put out way too much scratch for movie and TV viewing equipment that requires a semester at ITT Tech to operate, I'll soon find myself in the position of going back and reading books for entertainment.

IF books can still be found!

Sepiatone

I don't believe in the concept of planned obsolescence when it comes to electronics. I try to obtained the best quality at an affordable price but I won't buy Wal Mart junk.

I will use a device until it no longer functions then I'll "upgrade" Lol, still use a land line telephone, VCR's and vacuum tube devices (at last count 28). How many uses a Heathkit 20 tube HW-101 radio connected to a 1980's Z80 TNC interfaced to a 2000's Dell computer. :)

Game of Pac Man on a Color Computer III anyone?

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 11, 2014 1:07 PM

I only wish Laserdiscs became affordable enough to buy. I never knew they existed until recently. I never even heard of CED discs until I discovered one on ebay.

I grew up with VHS tapes. I knew nothing about 8 track tapes. My mother has a lot of them in a old stereo. I never knew what they were until recently. I always thought we went from records and straight to cassettes. I always thought CDs came out in the 90s. They came out in the 80s.

When DVDs came out, I thought to myself, " how the heck did these things become so popular ? they don't record TV."

Then , blu-rays came out around 2007/08. I said "I'M NOT UPGRADING ! THE HECK WITH THIS!". I never heard of HD DVD. I never even seen them in stores. 2008 , 2009 Blu-rays started showing up all over. Reminded me when DVDs showed up in stores around 1998/99. I remember going to Costco and all they had were VHS tapes. I'd walk into suncoast and they had VHS tapes mostly and a one rack of DVDs. I remember the day when they started stocking DVDs on the shelves.

I remember the day (2003 or 2004) when I walked into a music store and asked if they had a latest album on cassette. They told me no. I was shocked. Music stores at the time had mostly CDs and some shelves with cassettes. I have never walked into a music store and seen vinyl sold. I never even worked a turntable before. I wouldn't know how to turn one on. I'd find it inconvienent to have to hear a whole album just to hear my favorite song. That's why I prefer CDs. I can skip tracks to hear my favorite song. I threw away my cassettes because I was fed up with fast forwarding and rewinding. Some got chewed up in the player. I had a couple of CDs go bad on me. One CD got stuff on it and it couldn't play anymore. One CD had a little scratch on it and it skipped. I always hated the portable CD players. Any movement I'd make , the player would skip or turn off and refuse to turn on. Walkman cassette players were a heck of a lot sturdier. I don't own a Ipod. I prefer owning a physical copy of something. So CDs serve their purpose with me.

30 years ago (1984) , which music format was cheaper ? Vinyl , Cassettes , 8 tracks ? CDs were new on the market then. So they had to be expensive.

8 tracks were around until 1988, but only sold by mail order. Stores stopped selling 8 tracks in 1982 from what I've read somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Cassettes were around since 1963. Why did they suddenly become popular in the 80s ? was it because of the Sony Walkman?

Stores stopped selling records by 1989/90 ? is it true or were they selling vinyl in the 90s ? I'm 24. I have never seen LPs sold in stores before. Its always been cassettes and CDs.

I'm interested in old technology. I don't know why. I just am. It's interesting how technology has come to what it is today. We've gone from cylinders to phonograph records to tapes to compact discs.

music : I prefer CDs (convience). I hate Cassettes.

movies : DVDs. I'm not a HD freak. I don't care about Blu-ray. DVD is good enough for me.I still use a VCR to record.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Feb 18, 2014 1:36 AM

Vinyl is alive and kicking! I still have several turntables. Far as tape, lol got a couple of reel to reel (see my Mission Impossible tape below :) ), an Optimus cassette dual deck and a Panasonic 8 track recorder.

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2013/08/19/vinyls-not-dead-long-live-vinyl/

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3003611

Ever seen a Laser Turntable, nothing touches the vinyl.

xeip-laser-turntable-nothing-touches-you

This tape will NOT self destruct in 5 seconds.

2lmkl6e.jpg