Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest obrienmundy

May 2014 Schedule is Up

May 2014 will be the month in which I take my long-planned vacation at the South Pole. I hope they have no televisions there.......June Allyson as SOTM? Is this some sort of sick joke?

>With an actress-turned-nun as guest programmer, I am surprised that there was no Nun's Story in her selection. Then, again, I would have been even more surprised if there had been a Last Tango in Paris or Wild Bunch.

Somehow, I do not think Dolores Hart is a stereotypical nun. She did kiss Elvis after all-- how many nuns can say that? For all we know, she may like THE WILD BUNCH. I am glad she did not select NUN'S STORY.

>TopBilled wrote: Somehow, I do not think Dolores Hart is a stereotypical nun. She did kiss Elvis after all-- how many nuns can say that? For all we know, she may like THE WILD BUNCH. I am glad she did not select NUN'S STORY.

Actually, the Reverend Mother Delores is a voting member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and she works diligently to see all of the Oscar-nominated films for each year.

Aside from the June Allyson tribute which I know I'll enjoy, I think my favorite morning of programming occurs on the 21st.

There is a great deal of variety in the a.m. hours during the month of May:

May 1: four Jeanette MacDonald films and three Glenn Ford films.

May 2: six Bing Crosby entries

May 3: the Mexican Spitfire series continues with Lupe Velez

May 4: seven movies about unusual husbands

May 5: seven films with abbreviations in the titles

May 6: nine films with the word 'Scarlet' in the title.

May 7: seven Gary Cooper pictures

May 8: five Phil Silvers classics

May 9: three Stuart Erwin films and two rare William Holden titles

May 10: two Claire Trevor pictures; more Lupe Velez as the Spitfire

May 11: all about mothers (Mothers Day celebration)

May 12: seven Katharine Hepburn titles-- five from her RKO days and two from MGM

May 13: nine Jane Wyatt films-- quite a selection, too!

May 14: a morning of noir-- includes IMPACT with Brian Donlevy

May 15: two films about 'Preachers in the West'

May 16: nine films from 1940

May 17: the Mexican Spitfire series concludes

May 18: the rarely screened Lucille Ball crime drama TWO SMART PEOPLE

May 19: eight David Niven pictures, ranging from 1936 to 1969.

May 20: two Bogart classics and a rare Dorothy Dandridge film

May 21: nine Victor Moore films-- four with Helen Broderick and one with Mae West

May 22: six Jean Arthur entries, two of them from the early 30s

May 23: John Payne in eight films-- most from his days under contract at Warner Brothers (some good B films worth checking out)

May 24-26: Memorial Day weekend

May 27: Merle Oberon appears in eight films

May 28: the theme is San Francisco in eight films

May 29: two films with Johnny Mercer

May 30: eight Fritz Lang films, from 1926 to 1956.

May 31: the Dirk Bogarde series 'Doctor in the House' begins

"Enjoy" is not a very enthusiastic word. I'm sure that there are actors that you would have been far more excited to see as SOTM selections than Allyson.

>"Enjoy" is not a very enthusiastic word. I'm sure that there are actors that you would have been far more excited to see as SOTM selections than Allyson.

Not true at all. I am very happy that TCM has chosen her.

Edited by: TopBilled on Feb 8, 2014 10:23 AM

Not a whole lot for me. I'm not a June Allyson hater, but I can't claim to be greatly excited by her selection. Would've liked to have seen *The Shrike* included, as it's apparently quite the change-of-pace and has therefore piqued my curiosity. Maybe someday. Oh well - what did catch my eye:

*The Mating Season* (1951) - May 11 - Adorably blue-collar Thelma Ritter, mind-numbingly-stunning Gene Tierney, yummy John Lund, bitchy Miriam Hopkins (what can I say - I like her) in an all-in-all terrific Mitchell Leisen comedy

*Hobson's Choice* (1954) - May 13 - I'm an admitted sucker when it comes to Charles Laughton, and John Mills and Brenda de Banzie are excellent as helmed by David Lean

*Princess Tam Tam* (1935) - May 31 - A rare celluloid glimpse of Josephine Baker - is there a banana skirt among the wardrobe, by the way? :)

And of course, I'm always open to recommendations . . .

May 2014 will be the month in which I take my long-planned vacation at the South Pole. I hope they have no televisions there.......June Allyson as SOTM? Is this some sort of sick joke?

LOL. The joke's on you! Call it Drew's Revenge..........

Well no one can do bitchy better than Miriam Hopkins.

Now, now Bette Davis,,,,, Miriam was playing the character as written!!!

I'm hoping that the HAPPY DAYS scheduled on the 5/11 page is the 1929 Fox version, although it is an early talkie and not silent, like most movies after midnight on Sundays are.

The listing currently has a short from 1926 listed with a 14 minute running time, but the cast and Maltin review is for the 1929 movie.

LACOMBE, LUCIEN and EUROPA, EUROPA are scheduled as TCM Imports in May.

Don't forget the French drama "Jean de Florette," Claude Berri's acclaimed 1986 film that will air early Monday, May 19th at 2 a.m. But how long will we have to wait for the sequel, "Manon of the Spring"?

It appears that EUROPA, EUROPA and JEAN DE FLORETTE are no longer on the May schedule.

>It appears that EUROPA, EUROPA and JEAN DE FLORETTE are no longer on the May schedule.

Can you tell us what has been substituted in their place?

It appears that EUROPA, EUROPA and JEAN DE FLORETTE are no longer on the May schedule.

*Can you tell us what has been substituted in their place?*

Here are the TCM imports scheduled in May as of today:

Intimate Lighting (1969)

Lacombe, Lucien (1974)

My Life As A Dog (1986)

Carnival in Flanders (1935)

I know that Lacombe, Lucien (1974) was on the original May schedule.

I'm pretty sure that My Life As A Dog (1986) was not on the original schedule so I think it must be one of the substitutes.