Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

June Allyson as SOTM May 2014

I find a lot of this June Allyson controversy rather amusing. Basically I can take her or leave her. I'm not going to watch any of her films because she's in them, its almost always the costar that's the main attraction. And to the contrary, I'm not of a mind to avoid any film because she's in it. For whatever reason she was cast in a lot of films in her day, not that a half dozen other gals couldn't have done as well, or maybe a little better. Generally she is a supporting player to the leading man, doesn't rate an equal billing with him. And just by circumstance a number of those films were very good films. So really, what's the big deal here? (Although have her try to replace Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey is absolutely ridiculous)

I think the names that have been grouped here with Allyson are those that others here don't care for either. All of the names: whether Esther, Mickey, Kate, Roz or whoever, have their detractors here. While I can take some more than others, they we're all top stars in their day. June Allyson, someone I don't care for, WAS a big star from the second half of the 40s through the 50s, and is as deserving as anyone else to be selected as , unless the honor has already been bestowed previously.

I think some people love to get their knickers in a knot over something as trivial as the fact that a particular star they don't like will be a SOTM on TCM. So what?

June Allyson, I can take her or leave her (probably preferably leave her, I suppose). But folks, there are plenty of other films coming on in May and, honest, a lot of them don't feature the lady.

I'm sure you'll get your fill of films that you like that month. What's more, you know it too.

(Actually, I am glad about one film of her's they're showing - The McConnell Story, because it's an Alan Ladd film I've never seen).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6odv8bc8FxNMaDrBDYjU

Come on now, all you Allyson haters. Admit it: wasn't she lovely? Look out, June, here come those slings and arrows again!

I agree that Allyson has a strong enough film legacy to 'deserve' to be SOTM. I really don't see anyone saying otherwise. It is just that many of us don't like her. Even Tom, MrRoberts and yourself, while not as down on Allyson as others, have a take it or leave it POV at best. I hardly call that a rounding cheer of support for the lady.

There will never be 100 percent agreement on any choice for SOTM, and when it is someone that is not a personal favorite, if otherwise deserving, we just have to grin and bear it (or vent on these boards).

Well of course there will never to 100% agreement or even 90% (e.g. I'm sure even Audrey Hepburn, for example, has her distractors).

But I can't think of another actress that gets as many negative or lukewarm comments as Allyson. Kate Hepburn comes to mind but Kate also has a very, very strong following. i.e. those that love her really love her. But Kate clearly has those that just don't like her mannerisms and way of speaking.

Anyhow, yea, I?ll just have to grin and bear it. I?m going to Italy in May. I hadn?t decided if I should go for 2 or 3 weeks. Well now I?m going to make it 3!

Hey, I kinda like the idea of having June Allyson SOTM. She starred in some of my favorite films ( Right Cross, Stranger in My Arms, The McConnell Story, A Woman's World, Good News, Executive Suite, The Reformer and the Redhead and Two sisters from Boston). She was a campus sweetheart-very pretty, uncomplicated. She was just plain nice. I think that niceness has long since gone out the window and that's probably one reason why she is disliked so much now. Her kind of sweetness is absolutely no longer tolerated in this cynical age. Her films represent a different era and I , for one, enjoy most of them.

Wow, I wish all.the rest of us non June fans had that option. Maybe you'll find TCM Italy (if there is such a thing) will have their SOTM Gina or Sophia or Rosanna or Silvana or......

While not a fan of Allyson, I am not going to let it ruin my May. There are a ton of other films that they're showing that I can watch and on the Allyson filled evenings (if none of the films interest me), lord knows I own enough movies to make up for it. I'm hoping the month of June will bring an exciting SOTM. There's always SUTS in August. At least half of those days are usually exciting.

>Uncomplicated, she was just plain nice. I think that niceness has long since gone out the window and that's probably one reason why she is disliked so much now. Her kind of sweetness is absolutely no longer tolerated in this cynical age. Her films represent a different era and I , for one, enjoy most of them.

Very nicely stated, thank you.

Thanks don for your comments. Please return for continued discussion.

My favorite June Allyson film is GOOD NEWS.

Since the only June Allyson movie I'm certain I've seen is Executive Suite, which is one of my all time favorites, I don't mind at all seeing a whole month devoted to her. Who knows, there may be some I like.

Well of course there will never to 100% agreement or even 90% (e.g. I'm sure even Audrey Hepburn, for example, has her detractors).

So is there any well known "classic" star against whom nobody ever seems to say anything? Cagney? Grant? Bogart? Stanwyck? Ida Lupino?

Not too many others. I've heard these comments directed against other stars, a few of which (three, to be exact) I might even have agreed with at one point (and one I still do):

Davis: too dumpy and / or too bitchy

Harlow: too bleached

Crawford: too histrionic

Katharine Hepburn: snobby

Audrey Hepburn: too anorexic

Stewart: too artificially folksy

Cooper and Peck: a pair of wooden Indians

Mitchum: too macho

Tracy: pigheaded Irishman

And so on. On the other hand, we can all probably think of scores of character actors who get universal praise. Maybe that's because we really value predictability more than anything else.

tikisoo wrote:

>But just like with Kate, I just don't understand the hatred Allyson garners.

>Someone mentioned Rosiland Russell as SOTM, people generally dislike >her screen presence too.

I know I'm late to the perty, so to speak, but I like both Kate and Russell and June Allyson just annoys me. The fact that she had the same tragic hairdo for 50 years, the chirpy personality, the lack of acting talent, the fact that she was in remakes of some of my favorite movies from the 30's ( Little Women, The Women , It Happened One Night and My Man Godfrey ), all of it is kind of annoying. And the Depends commercials of the 80's don't help (I suppose someone had to do it, but really?)

I think one difference between Allyson and the other two, in my eyes, is the fact that the other two have a very strong presense and personality and she just doesn't.

*I think one difference between Allyson and the other two, in my eyes, is the fact that the other two have a very strong presense and personality and she just doesn't.*

Agreed. I find June Allyson dull. I'd choose a Hepburn or Russell movie in a heartbeat. I don't care whether or not she's SOTM, but she isn't on my Top 10 list.

The two Italian "L"s, were infinitely bigger stars than Ms. Allyson, and worldwide. I don't even know who Podesta is..........It's a mystery to me regarding the source of the negativity regarding Roz Russell. I've never seen it on these boards. There were few better comic actresses. In dramas, she was a notch lower, but not bad.

It's a mystery to me regarding the source of the negativity regarding Roz Russell. I've never seen it on these boards. There were few better comic actresses. In dramas, she was a notch lower, but not bad.

I'm a huge Roz fan, and in Roughly Speaking, among others, she shows her dramatic talent to the hilt. Great film, if almost completely forgotten outside of the realm of TCM fans.

But from what I've read, the criticism of her mostly boils down to a charge of overacting in many of her later movies, in particular her hilariously miscast role as a rather stereotyped Jewish woman in A Majority of One. (But hey, nobody's perfect.)

My birthday month is ruined

LOL, Geminigirl...........

Love June Allyson and love June Allyson's movies, most of which I've enjoyed multiple times. Just chiming in so TCM hears that they've made some viewers quite happy about their May SOTM! :)

There have been Stars of the Month I don't care for so much but it just wouldn't occur to me to complain. As far as I'm concerned, any actor has his or her place in film history and also his his or her fans, and all actors deserve to have their career explored for a month by TCM. Each person's career is a "puzzle piece" in film history. The month will be over soon enough and there will be a different actor to explore and/or enjoy, and in the meantime TCM shows many other films. JMHO.

>Love June Allyson and love June Allyson's movies, most of which I've enjoyed multiple times. Just chiming in so TCM hears that they've made some viewers quite happy about their May SOTM!

Nice post! I think many viewers are happy about this selection.