Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SEARCH

HoldenIsHere

What a fantastic movie that is moving without being manipulative.

I'm surprised this film is not more well-known.

Ivan Jandl is so good as Karel Malik (aka Jimmy). He won a special juvenile Oscar as well as a Golden Globe for his work in THE SEARCH. I was surprised to read that he made so few films in his native Czechoslovakia. I read also that he spoke no English before filming THE SEARCH and learned his English lines phonetically.

Discovering movies like THE SEARCH is what makes the 31 Days of Oscar and TCM in general so wonderful.

When we had a thread on "The Underrated 40's", I placed The Search at the very top of the Hollywood list for movies of that decade. This is what I wrote about it at the time:

*1. The Search (1948)* - Everything that a film can offer: A moving story based on the reality of separated families in postwar Europe, without a drop of false sentimentality; fabulous performances by the American leading actor (Montgomery Clift), the American supporting actress (Aline McMahon), and the two Czech actors, Jarmila Novotn? and Ivan Jandl. There's not a shot fired in the entire 104 minutes, but it's as good a war movie as Hollywood has ever produced.

Discovering movies like THE SEARCH is what makes the 31 Days of Oscar and TCM in general so wonderful.

Truer words about the unparalleled value of TCM have seldom been written.

I agree about The Search. The performances in this movie are very honest and for the most part, understated. If it weren't for TCM, I never would have discovered this flick, along with other classics like Dodsworth, Kiss Me Deadly, and Remember the Night.