Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slightly OT - GI Joe Turns 50

hamradio

>Does anyone have any stories Mutalating they GI Joes? (kids can be cruel.)

I enjoyed popping off limbs of my Jane West doll, it was easy & reversible. I'd stick legs and arms and even the head in my mother's houseplants dirt for effect.

It wasn't to be mean, but more "set decoration". Today, my "adult" home has many mannequin hands, legs & heads in key positions.

"Action figures" really came into general use when those Star Wars toys came out. Most kids found the tiny size outrageous, they were obviously marketed to collectors. Certainly no "action" involved.

I was 12 when they came out. Too old to be intersted. Me and my friends thought, "Dolls for BOYS? Come ON!".

So, how many years until that "anotomically correct" little Joey doll from "All In The Family" reaches a landmark?

Sepiatone

Hard to believe how much technology has come during the past 50 years since GI Joe was introduced. Remote control back then was a long tethered wire running from controller to vehicle (car, tank or whatever). Now its digital RC. Tiny helicopters you can fly in your living room.

Propulsion. OMG, its a wonder some kid is doing an Anakin Skywalker and placing those small jets on their go cart!

Mind blowing examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SMnNLN4S4

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 7, 2014 1:45 PM

sfpcc2 wrote:

>Does anyone have any stories Mutalating they GI Joes? (kids can be cruel.)

Maybe a decade or so, an organization called The Barbie Liberation Front purchased some talking GI Joes, and some talking Barbies. They swapped voice boxes between the two, repackaged them, and snuck them back on the store's shelves. Imagine the surprise of the kids when Barbie spoke like GI Joe, and GI Joe spoke like Barbie! BTW, it's spelled mutilating.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings