Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Going to go see WADJDA (2013)

Our local town cinema club is bringing and showing a Saudi Arabian film to our little Colorado town, WADJDA (2013). Very much looking forward to viewing this highly rated film. Has anybody else seen it? Any thoughts or comments? Has excellent reviews.

Saw WADJDA (2013) today. I highly recommend this excellent movie. Four out of four stars. A real slice of modern life and struggle of a young girl in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia who is trying for an identity in a society that denigrates women and their roles as real human beings and persons. A feel good movie about a tough coming-of-age young woman that is well worth seeing. Struggles in society as a whole and especially in a repressive religious all-girls school run by reactionary "Dark Ages" Saudi female teachers. A wonderful performance by the young star Waad Mohammed. Directed and written by a Saudi woman by the name of Haifaa Al-Mansour. The first female directed Saudi Arabian movie. Most of the men and boys in the story are far more likable than many of the reactionary Saudi women.

wadjda.jpg

roverrocks, I would like very much to see *Wadjda*. Thanks for the recommendation.

However, I tried to see if it was or would be playing anywhere in the city I live in, and could find no listing for it. I'll keep checking...there's only one movie theatre in my town that shows foreign films and unusual hard to find movies, so I'll be asking them if they're planning to get *Wadjda* any time soon.

Sounds like a very good film.