Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inappropriate Films?

ilolitarawr

Hello, I love your channel and since the ratings seem to have changed a lot recently with childrens television, after a certain hour(Around 12 or so) I change the TV to TCM for my little ones to watch, that way if they are watching, it's educational, and if not, then they won't learn any bad language from the background noise(And gives me something to watch as well). My mother does the same with my autistic sister... But lately a lot of the shows have gotten more 'dirty' and inappropriate and was just curious what's going on? I brought my sister and my son downstairs and immediately turned the TV off because the movie 'Your A Big Boy Now(I think)' was on and it was right when the lady was taking her top/bra off with him watching and my sister was asking what was going on... Thankfully she didn't REALLY see anything... But it's getting harder and harder to just leave the television on for noise and distraction for the little ones or something different to watch for my sister... We don't watch television often, but when we do I'd like to know it's safe... I'm disabled and my husband is the only one who can drive, but is military and sometimes will be gone for a week or a few months... So having something to watch helps. But nothing like you guys have been showing recently.. Will this be over soon?

-- A Concerned Mother?

>Will this be over soon?

I doubt it. This is just part of the latest modern trend. Some people think cursing and nudity are "intelectual" in this modern 21st Century. While no cursing and no nudity are considered by many people in broadcasting to be sissy and wimpy. The same thing has happened to the major broadcast networks too.

The movie in question, "You're a Big Boy Now", was made in 1966, not the 21st Century, so it doesn't really represent a "new" trend in moviemaking. I get what you're saying and it sounds like you have a lot of irons in the fire and depend on television for some needed distraction for your family and some down time for yourself. But is it really fair to single out TCM, which is merely performing its stated mission of showing unedited films in their entirety? Your life sounds very complicated and I applaud you for making all the effort on behalf of your family, but you lost me when you said TCM had been a trusted source for "noise and distraction for the little ones". To most of us reading your post, TCM represents a lot more than that. If your needs are different, you should probably consider a different source for what you need, rather than expect a channel which shows unedited movies from all eras to alter its policy. Without being harsh I hope, I'd like to suggest PBS, though I realize that in the time slot in which "YABBN" was shown PBS would have its news hour, not a big draw for kids. At the very least, you should spend the time to check out the ratings for the individual movies which TCM shows rather than just turn on the TV and hope for the best. I'm not raising children, but I'm sure others who are will have additional suggestions for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

• 8 months later...

I have a similar pet peeve.  I notice TCM can have just shown a "G" or "PG" movie and then runs a trailer for a feature coming sometime in the future.  If there were any "R" rated words in the upcoming movie at all, they end up in the trailer.  Many times these are trailers composed by TCM, not the trailers made by the movie production.

I understand the original poster's concerns and sympathize with her.  The only alternative I can see for a fool proof TV session without "R" rated word is to use DVD's.  PBS is no longer a guaranteed go-to station for "G" programs.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings