Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Music From "The Shop on Main Street"

Flamengo

I would really like to know more about the musical piece Mrs. Lautman play on the wind up phonograph. I would like to know the name, possibly where I could purchase a recording of that version (if possible) or a source to find other music of that genre. I recognize it as being music often applied to Jewish themes of the 1900-1930 time period. I would also like a name for that style of music for further reference if anyone knows what that music is called.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I really liked that piece.

I'm not sure if this will prove accurate, but I hope it will be helpful. I believe the song in *Shop On Main Street* (1965) could be one of many versions of a Russian/Yiddish/Jewish/Romani folk tune. The tune is most reminiscent of *Tum Balalaika*, but the translation does not match the lyrics of this song. The history of the song is similar to that of *Ochi chyornye/Dark Eyes*, which often appears in Russian themed films and has been translated into many languages (Django Reinhardt's version *Les Yeux Noirs* is a personal favorite). These songs are often staples of contemporary Klezmer bands, variations of *Tum Balalaika* have been performed by Theodore Bikel and The Barry Sisters. I found versions on YouTube, if you are interested just follow the links:

*Maxwell Street Klezmer Band*:

*The Barry Sisters*:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings