Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Temple is gone

The greatest child star in the history of the movies died early this morning surrounded by family and friends. She was 85.

I was lucky enough to know her a bit through the years since the mid-1970s. She was always that same effervescent person that you saw on the screen as a young child. Full of life, always looking ahead. She was one of a kind. A truly remarkable woman who will be sorely missed.

God bless her for all the joy she brought to the world. Rest in peace, dear Shirley.

I cried when I saw the news of her death. My mom grew up watching her movies and when I came along we watched them together. I now have all her movies and most of her shorts and we still watch them together. She was an amazing talent not only in movies but in politics and in life. I hope TCM pays tribute to her. She was one of a kind!

> My mom grew up watching her movies and when I came along we watched them together.

Same here. To go further, MY kids grew up watching and liking them too.

No matter how silly the premises, or saccharine the sentimentality, we loved them. Many of us may have poked fun at them over the years, but we still think of them fondly, and always will.

Rest easy, Little Princess. And thank you very, very much!

Sepiatone

Her autobiography CHILD STAR is a fascinating read.

But I wonder if she ever saw the SNL skit where Larraine Newman did a send up of Ms. Black functioning as an ambassador? Two diplomats are waiting to have an important meeting with her, and in comes Newman dressed as Shirley from the old '30's movies, and doing a spot on parody of little Shirley, voice and all, trying to arbitrate the important political discussion. Hilarious.

Sepiatone

This for me is so sad because I have been a HUGE fan of Shirley for years and years and have a huge collection and have all her child movies and also have many of her newsreels and rare photos and, original books and , I just cannot believe she is gone,, I have been crying all day, I just cannot believe she is gone, :( :(

I feel really depressed as Shirley was my top favorite and , I just cannot believe she is gone, I just cannot believe this :(:(

Now there are only four living members on the American Film's Institute's 1999 list of the 50 greatest screen legends: Kirk Douglas (the No. 17 male) is 97. Sidney Poitier (No. 22) will turn 87 on February 20th. Lauren Bacall (the No. 20 female) will be 90 in September. And Sophia Loren (No. 21) will be 80 in September.

Edited by: jakeem on Feb 11, 2014 12:13 PM

R.I.P.

CBC news item here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shirley-temple-dead-at-85-1.2531741

CBC Radio Archive feature from 1944 allows you to listen to Ms.Temple speak at a war bond rally in Ottawa, Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/DigitalArchives/WarandConflict/SecondWorld+War/ID/1519635249/

Edited by: RMeingast on Feb 11, 2014 2:08 PM

Just heard about the passing of child star and diplomat Shirley Temple. We remember her in films like "Curly Top", "The Little Colonel", "The Bachelor and The Bobby-Soxer" and yes, "That Hagen Girl" with Ronald Reagan, a film neither wanted to appear in.

R.I. P. Shirley, we'll never forget you.

:(

Am curious as to what TCM is planning. I doubt Fox is going to let them rent her films from her younger days. (I hope they can rent a few) If they just show a few films with her as a teenager, it will be a disappointing tribute....

Just about every year TCM, on April 23rd, Shirley's birthday, would schedule a number of her films but this year, they have none at all showing and I sure hope they change that day to honor her with a full day of movies.

Would be so wonderful, a most beautiful tribute if they could get their hands on some of the Fox films and, even Paramount's LITTLE MISS MARKER which they have shown a few times in the past.

Shirley was such a big little star that she deserves a loving full day's tribute!!!!!!!!!

Alas, there are so few of the old stars left! I can't believe she was only 85-- I forgot how incredibly young she was when she was in films.

Sorry if someone else beat me to this, but here is my all time favorite Shirley Temple moment, bar none-- little Shirley dancing with Bojangles acapella (sorry it's colorized--curse you, youtube!): ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-DueyLco8s]