Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Cossacks Cancelled!

TomJH

TCM has announced that it will have a day's salute to Shirley Temple on March 9th, cancelling most of the day's planned programming, including the scheduled broadcast of The Cossacks, with John Gilbert.

Most frustrating that TCM programmers would select a day (particularly with all the complaints about repeats) in which they were going to show a silent rarity never on the station before, and one which most of us have never seen.

We can only hope that TCM will re-schedule The Cossacks some time again in the future.

I absolutely agree that Shirley Temple must be remembered with a day or more of programming, but please re-schedule The Cossacks soon. Hopefully in March, and yes, the almost constant repeats and showing of newer films has become very tiresome.

TCM always reschedules the films that are bumped from the lineup due to tributes. It more than likely won't be in March, but further down the road since they schedule about two months in advance. I am quite sure they will be showing The Cossacks in the next few months.

It's great that you are posting your strong feelings about silent films though...TCM Programmer DOES look at this website and pays attention to your requests.

Just keep on supporting silents by writing in the threads down here.

Thanks, Jack. And if TCM does reschedule THE COSSACKS I really hope that they do it soon. (Not keep silent fans waiting two years or so for a reschedule, as they did with In Old Chicago when it was yanked from the schedule due to a programming change star tribute).

To be honest, it's been a long time since the channel had scheduled a film which had excited me as much, due to the film's extraordinary rarity, subject matter and, apparently, quality from the few reviews I've ever seen of it.

I also posted a thread about the film's cancellation in General Discusssions, since so many eyes go there. I wanted to share this one, though, with the true silent film fans of this Form, however, because the most passionately interested posters will be here.

I hope, Jack, that your optimism about THE COSSACKS being rescheduled (and soon!!!) proves to be justified.

If, by chance, anyone sees that the film has been rescheduled, I hope that they post it on this forum. I would hate to not notice it and miss the film. BELIEVE ME, I would hate it!

More and more I have come to have a deep appreciation of the great art that could be found in silent films, particularly those in the late '20s. My knowledge about that era of filmmaking is painfully limited compared to others here but my enthusiasm for it grows, almost by the day.

f676fa77466d1ce2d300c373dc9da731.jpg

That's wonderful Tom! Keep on watching silents!

Sometimes, as I think happened with In Old Chicago, the rights to the movie are difficult to obtain. Believe me, the TCM programmer would have gotten it sooner if he could have. They really do pay attention to our wants here. I've seen it happen over and over again, even my own requests have been listened to, which surprised me very much!

I imagine the rights issues with The Cossacks are not as formidable as with In Old Chicago, so I am pretty darn sure it won't be 2 years.... just a guess though!

Well, as far as In Old Chicago is concerned, Jack, even though it was a two year wait to see it on TCM, it was, at least, a film also available on DVD. That is not the case with The Cossacks.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone reading this thread has seen The Cossacks and, if so, would care to share any of their feelings about the film.

I must be honest, I am a sucker for a lot of the ripe over-the-top costume melodramatics to be found in many silents (I'm thinking, in particular, of the Barrymore swashbucklers) so if The Cossacks falls into that category, it's quite OK with me. From what I've seen of the film's story line, it appears to have similarities to that of Taras Bulba.

Jack, I'm glad to see that you think TCM programmers pay attention to some of the requests here.

As I stated on the General Discussions thread about The Cossacks, if TCM had decided to start their Temple tribute at 10:30am (EST), rather than 4:30pm (EST) that Sunday, we could have had all of Shirley's films, plus the premiere of The Cossacks. It would have meant sacrificing three other films scheduled earlier that day, all three of those films repeats.

Grrr . . .

Good news for those interested in seeing The Cossacks. Charlie Tabesh of TCM programming has announced that the film will be rescheduled for this June.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one!

Four months extra wait. Bah, what's that, compared to the kind of blistering Russian winter than the Cossacks had to endure! (Hey, isn't that we most of us are going through now?)

Good they're rescheduling the Gilbert film, BUT they could have had the Temple tribute on any day at all and needn't have bumped a premiere film for the tribute. Seems like a dumb decision to me when almost anything else on TCM is a repeat.

• 2 weeks later...